Canadian Rockies vacation - need help

candi

Cathlete
Suggestions for itinerary. DH and I going to Banff, Jasper areas. Thinking of starting north in Jasper and traveling south on the Icefields Parkway towards Banff and Lake Louise.

It's all fantastic! The Icefields are awe-inspiring, really. My SO and I went this summer, but we started our Canada trek in Vancouver, went through Banff and Lake Louise, etc, down through Waterton and ended up in Glacier Park, Montana. Lake Louise was way more beautiful than expected. We aren't hard to please,though. We took a few hikes, camped, looked at scenery. Waterton was the biggest disappointment, I think, and I was terrified because there were a couple of bears that took up house in our campground.

I don't know if you're familiar with Canadian parks... if so, I'll sound like a moron... but the parks there are tremendously expensive. You pay so much money per day per person on top of the camping fees. It really caught us by surprise.

Huh... I guess I had no real suggestions. I just hope you enjoy yourself :)

Hi Candi,

You picked a beautiful trip! DH and I went there back in August '98. We did the opposite of what you're proposing. We flew into Calgary and started in Banff, then drove north to Jasper on the Icefields Parkway, but starting at either end would certainly work.

We also took a few days and drove into the Golden, B.C. area and spent a day hiking in the Glacier National Park there (not to be confused with Glacier Nat'l Park in Montana). This area was MUCH less crowded than the Banff & Jasper areas, but no less beautiful. I was so glad we checked this area out.

If we were to do this trip over again, one thing we'd change is the length of stay. We did this in a whirlwind 6-day adventure. :eek: I wish we had more time to check out more "out-of-the-way" places, and smaller parks.

Regarding the crowds, we went during high season and many of the overlook type areas were pretty crowded. However, as soon as we ventured a mile or so onto the hiking trails, most of the crowd was nowhere to be seen. That was nice. :)

I would so totally go back!

ETA: Since we were on a more limited budget at the time, we stayed at a nice inn in Canmore, which is just 5 minutes outside Banff. It did save us a few bucks and we had a very nice view of the "Three Sisters" - http://www.canmorealberta.com/news/webcam/ .

My DH and I went to Banff for our honeymoon in 2001. It was fantastic! We also stayed in Canmore at the Boundary Lodge or Boundary Mountain Lodge, something like that. It was beautiful and we also had a marvelous view of the Three Sisters. We didn't get all the way up to Jasper, but did drive up to the Athabasca Glacier.

We went in July, one of the two months when they get the most visitors, but as another poster wrote, just a little ways off the beaten path and you can easily avoid crowds. I also recommend the slower two-lane road that parallels the TransCanada Highway. The speed limit is lower, but there's no one on it and we saw all kinds of great wildlife.

One our last night there we ate dinner at the German restaurant in the Banff Springs Hotel. It was one of the best meals I've ever had in my life. If you like good wine and good food, I highly recommend it.

I also enjoyed Moraine Lake more than Lake Louise. They're equally beautiful, but Moraine Lake was much less crowded.

Now I'm getting nostalgic! I'll have to dig out photos of the trip later and reminisce.

I hope you enjoy it as much as we did!

Candi,

Cool! You're coming to my area of the world. I live in Edmonton, a 4 hour drive east of Jasper. We try to get out to the parks once a season (since having the kids, though, we're lucky to make it once a year). One suggestion about the cost: if you're going to be spending a lot of time in the parks, it might be better to buy an annual parks pass that will get you into any of Canada's national parks. They're usually around $75, but the daily charge for being in the parks is some where around $25 a day, IIRC. Just an idea.

My favourite thing to do in the parks is just to drive around a lot, take pictures, hike a lot, (ski in the winter!!!! - my most favourite thing to do there!), and generally relax and soak in the serenity. Oh, and eat. Love to eat.

LOL! I just skimmed the post you addressed to Shelley, and she suggested I'd be more help to you than I probably was with this post. I really have to just agree with the previous posters. They mentioned all the hot spots for a summer trip. If you were going in the winter I'd have other suggestions. I know my brother and SIL did some horse back riding in the mountains when they visited. I've never looked at that, though, so can't recommend a particular business.

Oh! The train!! Any kind of CPRail train ride through the mountains would be amazing.

As you make your way through the parks, check out all of the CP hotels ("Jasper Park Lodge", "Banff Springs Hotel", and there's another one in Lake Louise). They also have fine dining in them. Very nice.

There are a few spots in the parks with natural hot springs. Bring your bathing suit and enjoy the soak. The hot springs are marked on park maps..

And then there are the cable car rides in Jasper and Banff. Those are really nice. Take you to the top of a mountain with a great view.

If I think of anything else I'll get back to you.

Have a great trip!
Sandra

Thanks so much for the info.

Regarding cost. Is the Icelands Parkway a toll road or is it free?

Now I'm getting really, really excited about this trip!

Keep all suggestions coming. I'm going to have to sort through all of this.

We have never been to Canada so thank you for telling me about the cost of the parks and the tip about the pass.

I grew up in Calgary Alberta. You will love Banff, but be prepared as it is very commercial and expensive. If you have a car you might want to check out Waterton National Park (the Canadian side of Glacier National Park about 3 hours south of Calgary). It is breathtaking and a little more rugged and less crowed and commercial (unfortuately still $$$). It is very hiker friendly. Good luck. Google both and you should get some very good information.

Cheryl

I am also an Alberta. Born in Edmonton and now live in Fort McMurray.

Anyway, I have spent alot of time in the Banff/Jasper area. Winter time skiing, summertime hiking.

We did some hiking this year in the Canmore area. Just outside of Banff. The link to the pictures I have posted will show a few shots. The first one is on the way up The Three Sister (just starting out), the second one is from the top of The Three Sisters looking down on the town of Canmore.

226849035.jpg

226849063.jpg

If you look closely you can see the two Marmots
226849206.jpg

Feeding the chipmunk
226849145.jpg

One of my pooch listening to some tunes
106078708.jpg

Michele

Can someone tell me about the Three Sisters?

You all have been so great with info.

We do have passports. We have both done a lot of traveling, Europe, Mexico, Egypt and such but neither of us have been to Canada! We are both warm weather types as we live in Florida. I couldn't believe DH actually suggested Canada. I have always been intrigued by the beauty of this part of the world. At least what I see on television and the movies :)

Thanks again. Hubby's friend gave us some books to read. He has been there several times. I will keep you posted as to what the itinerary is.

Thanks again! THis is such a great site :)

Candi you will LOVE LOVE LOVE it!

Jasper is my favorite place in the whole world. Gosh I'll try to remember the name of the place - it's just outside town I want to say - spirit island - you can rent kyaks. It is BREATHTAKING! Also go on the "nature walks" TONS of waterfalls. LOADS of wild life - mtn goats - saw some bears! Ah you will LOVE it!

The ice fields are awesome - do the tourist thing it's great. The driving is spectacular!

Lake louise is beautiful too - Lake Moran!

The ONLY place we did not like was Banff. It is PACKED with tourist - many VERY pushy and LOTS of picture taking!

We went to Wharton and Glacier another year and that was amazing as well. Again do the hikes it's AMAZING!!

Have fun!!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.

Back