can someone explain HRATE ?

shelia

Cathlete
I have had my hr monitor a month and noticed that I burn more fat percentage with wt training than cardio.I burn 50-60% with wt training and 40-50% with cardio(and these are longer and more in fat burning zone)I wasn't in the fat burning zone at all this morning with ctx and burned 203 calories and 60% from fat.This afternoon I did power circuit two times was in my zone 38 minutes burned 400 cal and it was only 40% from fat.This just makes no sense to me can someone explain it to me please:)

When you are working out and your heart rate is lower than your "training zone", which is usually the case when doing weights, your body uses fat for fuel. When you are working out and your heart rate is within your "training zone" which is usually the case with cardio, your body uses glycogen for fuel (right ladies??).

The thing is, there is a much greater "after burn" after you have worked out in your "training zone" and that after burn is using fat for fuel.

So why not just do weights because it burns fat or workout at a lower intensity because it burns fat? Because the after burn isn't all that hot. So why not just do cardio because the after burn is so great? Because without the strength training, you will eat away at muscle.

So, weight train to build muscle then do cardio to burn the fat.

Does this help?

Sheila - I was wondering this exact same thing this weekend. Thanks for asking about it.

I also notice with my HR monitor that sometimes it says my HR is 0 when I know for a fact that I'm alive. And it jumps around. It will say that the rate is like 153 one second, and the next it will be up to 172. Like I don't really believe that my heartrate jumps 19 beats in one second.

Donna, that sounds like you are getting interference from some other piece of technology in the room. I have heard some women say they need to put cell phones and other phones in the other room while they workout.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.