Can anyone recommend an OTC appetite suppressant?

melagras

Cathlete
I've got to do my colonoscopy. I am overdue. My problem is I can't go more than three hours without eating solid food. And don't tell me I can do it because I literally cannot.

I found some on Amazon and GNC's websites with mixed reviews.

I need some suggestions.

I am wondering if you've done a colonoscopy before? I ask because for me, once I had to drink a gallon (seemed like) of that awful stuff to make you go to the bathroom, food was the LAST thing on my mind. This may be TMI, but I felt more like throwing up than eating.

You may have already done one, and you know that you had a tough time with the food issue, but if you've never done one you may be surprised.

It's not good to take that on the day of the colonoscopy. I've had 5 already and I'm hypoglycemic (low blood sugar). I never had to drink the gallon of liquid, I've always had to drink 1 bottle of mag. citrate with 2 laxatives. So when I drink the mag. citrate, I always drink it with a orange soda because the mag. tastes nasty. You cannot have anything red, to I always buy a big box of popsicles and have all the colors except for red. Chicken broth is also great. You'll be suprised how you can do this. Also drink a lot of water and try to make your appt. first thing in the am so you can get in and out. Best of luck.

Can you schedule your appointment early in the morning? Like firemedic suggested, that also worked for me once. I did not have a colonoscopy, but had another procedure where I was not supposed to eat for 12 hours. I ate dinner, and then had tea and water, went to bed, woke up and went to the doctor's office, so it was not as bad as if I had the procedure later in the day.

Good luck with your procedure.

Eva

Different doctors use slightly different approaches for colonoscopy prep but it's standard to have a "clear liquids" day the day before the procedure. they usually give you a printed list with suggestions of what is okay.... chicken broth, Gatorade, soda, tea. water, jello (no red colors) popsicles. I second the idea of getting scheduled early in the day. Miralax, Golytely and mag citrate are some common laxatives used for the procedure and usually come at the end of the clear liquid day.

If you eat any solid food during the day, there's no point in getting the procedure done. it's a waste of time and money because you colon will not be clean enough. I schedule so I never have to work the clear liquid day. it is miserable for everyone but necessary.

I just had a colonoscopy done in February. Not too bad -- not eating all day and drinking clear liquids is easier than you think. To this day I still have not had chicken broth. You can have Gatorade (as long as it isn't red), Jello, Lemonade, Chicken/veggie/beef broth, Apple Juice, Popsicles (non-red). I did movi-prep -- I started taking at 6:30, and it is suppose to be drank within 1/2 hr, if I remember correctly. Then the hard part comes....It also made me sleepy and cold. It took a few hrs to kick in, but once it did, you will literally be going to the bathroom every 1/2 hr on the dot, through the nite. Then you wake up at 4am to take the 2nd movi-prep dose. Then more bathroom time. My appt was for 10:30. They knock you out for the colonoscopy, that is the easy part. Afterwards you'll be groggy but fine.

I second the recommendation to schedule your appointment first thing in the morning... like 6 or 7am if you can.

I did my prep the day before and was completely cleaned out by bedtime, so no need to get up during the night. Of course I had to get up early to get to the appointment, but I was in and out of there by breakfast time.

I've got to do my colonoscopy. I am overdue. My problem is I can't go more than three hours without eating solid food. And don't tell me I can do it because I literally cannot.

I found some on Amazon and GNC's websites with mixed reviews.

I need some suggestions.

Well, I can advise you to try special tools that prevent that constant desire of eating. There are really good ones, which will help you with your serious trouble and in addition, will not harm your health. However, do not choose the very first one. Wait and read about all possible variants you can find. Reviews will greatly help you. Don’t forget to ask an expert in this filed. And mind that you can get otc appetite suppressant, so that you shouldn’t overpay.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.