Calories...

carrie123

Cathlete
I did a personalized calorie count on the real age web site and am so unsure about it...

http://www.realage.com/WorkOutCenter/perscalcount.aspx

It says I need 2652 kcal a day to maintain my current weight.
At my desired weight of 145 and being active 3-5 days a week I need 2324 calories a day. But if sedentary, I need to use 1888 kcal a day.

Does that seem like a lot calories?

I want to try it, using all the right foods of course, but I am SOOO scared that I will gain...

The book, "You on a Diet" seems to contradict itself, on pg 238, (for those who have it), it states for example, to get to a desired weight of 150 lbs, and doing an avg. of 300 physical activity calories per day, you'd need 1700 calories a day. To lose a pound a week, you'd need to decrease that by about 500 calories a day, or increase physical activity by 500 kcal.

This is alot less for kcal, than their web site quoted.

Can anyone shed some light on this for me?

Carrie

Wow. I did that too and there is no way I could NOT gain weight on that many calories a day. I don't know what to tell you. I net out at about 1200 per day and still have trouble losing. When I eat more, I gain. Good luck!!

Hi, Carrie, I agree that 2200-2600 sounds extremely high.

I do best on 1200-1550 of low glycemic calories a day, coupled with intense workouts to keep weight loss moving at even a pace of 1/2 - 1 pounds per week. I'd hesitate to try anymore unless you're eating low glycemic food and still feel like you're starving.

I've really liked Spark People the most for helping you assess your calorie/nutrition breakdown and set meaningful goals. And it's free. It's really helped me a lot.

Cheryl

I don't think that is high at all. I was told years ago to maintain my weight of 135 I would have to eat 2300 calories a day and to lose I would need about 2000. I do think that everyone is different, but I have never agreed with the idea that anyone should eat under 1500 calories, especially with the amount of exercise we all do. JM2Cents:)

susan

Sorry, I'll probably add to the confusion, but I don't think it sounds like a lot. Especially if your calories come from eating clean food (minimally processed, close to it's original source as possible). If you're worried about gaining weight, just slowly increase your calories by 100 a day for one week at a time. Keep track of your progess.

This is the formula Tom Venuto of Burn the Fat fame has in his ebook, "Burn the Fat". It takes some time, but it's well worth the effort.

http://www.bodybuildbid.com/articles/weightloss/calorie-calculator.html

HTH,
Terri

That seems very sensible. Thank you so much. I will definately do that.

I'm sort of looking forward to seeing what happens.

Carrie:)

Terri (mnglamourgirl) also gave me that calculation to use and I have raised my calories and I have not been gaining, actually feel like I may be losing, I don't own a scale so can only go by how I feel and how my clothes fit.

I am taking her advice & raising them slowly until I find the number that works best, I was trying to do 1400-1500/day & now I'm doing 1600-1700/day, when I was doing lower I felt like I was gaining.

Everyone is different but I do know that eating too low calories is just as bad as eating too many calories.

What I do is use the BMR at my goal weight and set that as my calorie intake for the day. Since it's 150 lbs., I try to eat around 1600-1700 calories a day. Whatever I burn as exercise is just "bonus burnage."

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.