buy LowMax even though I have LIS?

mini-natty

Cathlete
I am on the fence if I should buy LowMax. I have the entire LIS and wondering if the two would be somewhat similar. I have Hardcore Extreme, which features pieces of LowMax, but I don't know what the entire video is like. If I could, I would buy the entire Cathe collection, but that won't be happening anytime soon, so I have to be selective. Any advice would be helpful. Thanks!

I didn't like Low Max at all

Can you borrow this from your local library to try? That's what I did, and I'm glad I didn't purchase it. For some reason the workout didn't flow very well, music included. LIS is better by far. I recall Low Max doesn't have any weight component either--it's just all step.

It's rare that I dislike a Cathe workout, and I own a lot of them (but not most from the Hardcore series, or anything older than the Intensity and Body Blast series).

Another thought: have you looked at the video clips, either in Cathe's site or Collage Video? I've also purchased workouts used through eBay...

Just my opinion. Good luck in your evaluation.

Betty

YES!!! definitely buy Low Max!! its one of my favorites! If you like any of Cathe's Imaxes you'll like Low Max. Its a hard core, but of course fun, low impact interval style workout! I would definitely suggest adding it to your collection if you enjoy stepping and sweating. :eek:

Low Max is one of my favorites. It's what made me know I wanted the LIS when it came up from preorder. I also love Low Impact Circuit. Buy them both! JMO.

Thanks ladies for your responses. I hear a lot of mixed reviews on this one. The bits and pieces I did from Hardcore, I actually liked a lot. I suck at step and was able to get the choreo down in a few tries. I also liked the blasts, great lower body conditioning. BTW, I live in Canada and my library does not stock Cathe (I have never seen Cathe anywhere except on-line) or else I would have tried it. Hmmmm I have to think about this one...

Low Max is one of my favorites. I definitely recommend purchasing it, even though you've already got the Low Impact Series. There are a few (but not many) elements in the Low Impact Series that remind me of Low Max but nothing formatted the same, with 7 alternating step intervals followed by blasts involving the step. It is true that there are no weight/strength training segments in Low Max. As you say, it provides good lower body conditioning. Some people on this forum are still asking for a Low Max 2 even after the release of the Low Impact Series. As Betty suggested, be sure to watch the video clip on the Cathe web site (I don't have Hardcore Extreme, so I don't know how much of Low Max you've seen).

I just did Low Impact Challenge for the 9th time, making only minor mistakes. Now that I've got it down, I am finding it Intermediate/Advanced (rather than Advanced) and that I definitely need to do the blast at the end and if I have time, the bonus circuit on the same disk to get a good cardio workout. Low Max provides at least as much of a cardio challenge as LIC but it's not a lot more challenging (i.e., it's very doable). Some reviewers of Low Max have noted that the cardio challenge in Low Max is not as great as that in more Advanced workouts, such as the IMAX workouts and Intensity (I agree).
I don't think you'd regret getting Low Max if you want an Intermediate/Advanced low-impact cardio workout with lower body conditioning.

Low Max is a great workout to have in your library. I am glad I have it. No, it is not my favorite, but it is a good solid workout, and as other Cathe dvds is well worth the money IMHO.

I also vote yes. It was quite a bit easier for me to get LM down than it was for me to get LIS down. (In fact, I posted here whining about how much trouble I had :eek: )

Low Max is a fabulous in my opinion.

Absolutely yes, because nothing on the LIS is anything like LOWMAX. One of all time fave workouts. Dress it up, dress it down, it's a fab workout everytime with excellent music.

Clare

Low Max is one of my faves b/c of the intervals, the music and the crew. I would check out the clips here. It's one of those fun workouts like Step, Jump & Pump.

Get it!

Well, from reading this thread I don't see much "mixed reviews"....all but one say get it! I'm in the camp with "get it"!!! LowMax is one of my all time favorite videos of Cathe's. I wish she would do a LowMax 2! The first 3 intervals are my favorite and then the last one too, so I always love getting to the end of the workout.

Don't let LowMax confuse you and think that LIS is the same thing. To me they are two different monsters and LM would be a great addition to your collection.

I just did Lowmax yesterday and now that I have a fitness watch see that I burned 573 calories. :eek: It's alot of people's favorite workout. I like the workout, just the premixes are limited on it and I rarely have time to commit to over an hour to exercise in the morning.

Someone mentioned the Low Impact Circuit (LIC) - and I LOVE that workout because it's fun to do and there are lots of great premixes. It's about 75 minutes long I think so the premixes work well for me when I'm out of time.

I'd buy LIC before Lowmax because of the variation. But, Lowmax is very popular. Good luck going broke. lol

I'm going to recommend no on this one for two reasons. I find this Cathe's most boring workout on earth, for some reason. And I don't find it as challenging now that I've gotten the LIS. That's my two cents...

Lowmax was one of my first Cathe purchases so I always use it as a baseline on how I'm doing fitness-wise. I figure if I can make it through the entire workout, without modifying, then I'm doing something right. :D

I LOVE this workout! There is no dread factor with it. The premixes are great as well. You can do just combo 1-4 or combo 4-7. I also like to do just the "blast only" premix as an add on to another workout. It's only 20 mins in length, so it's perfect to add on to a shorter workout, just to change things up.

Lowmax is also great for working your lower body, which I'm sure you already knew. It's great to have another low impact DVD in your collection!!

low max is awesome.....it is long, so u have to consider that...but it does have a few premixes....but it is a good one, especially on an 8 inch step...and no dread factor for me:)

I LOVE LowMax, and it is definitely a different workout than the LIS which I also love. It's a nice change in your rotation.
I really like the music in LowMax, the coreography is simple to follow once you get used to the mambo on the step in front/back; the blasts are great and no doubt you will be challenged.

I like LowMax a lot. It has some kickboxing moves in it which makes me smile for some reason. LIC is good too. I have to agree with the person who suggested ebay. I see LowMax for pretty cheap on there all the time!

I actually had a second LowMax due to an ebay purchase that I would have offered to lend to you if I hadn't already given it to my friend. :(

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.