Burn the Fat Feed the Muscle

jansherman

Cathlete
I'm thinking about ordering this book, and was wondering if those of you who have read it could give me your opinion. Worth the money or not? Is the information really applicable, and is this a book you go back to again and again for info.?

Thanks!

For me it was worth it and I do go back and often refer to it. Venuto speaks in plain English and he is easy to understand. He explains about what eating plan is best for you and how you should experiment to find what it is. He talks about the different kinds of carbs, gives you sample meal plans, gives you the 12 best and worst foods to eat. He gives you formulas to figure out your BMR and how many calories you should eat each day and also about zig-zagging calories. Also gives plenty of info on exercise but I found the nutrition part more helpful.

Marcy

Are you talking about his fat loss/lose weight real book or the ebook?? I assume the ebook given the title but since you mentioning buying the book, want to be sure. If you are referring to the ebook, lots of people love it. I am trying to get through it but find it too wordy and too much like an infomercial...'but wait, there's more!' sort of thing. It does have good info in it but it is 300 some pages and he could have gotten the vital info in probably less than 100. However, like I said, some people swear by it. I'm glad to have it b/c it does have some interesting info but if you buy the ebook, you pretty much need to get it copied and that was $35 or so for me at Office Depot.

ITA with Marcy. I'm glad I have it. I'm waiting on the new paper book from the library, it'll be interesting to see how that is different.

Thanks guys! I didn't realize there was a hard copy available. I checked Barnes & Noble online, and it wasn't there. Maybe I have to order it from Venuto's site?

So what's the bottom line with this plan? Is it something we haven't heard before? I feel like I've been reading the same 3 or 4 diet plans over and over again for the last few years, just packaged differently and by different authors.

Venuto advocates eating 5x a day and eating protein with each meal. I think he might have said not to eat simple carbs (fruit) at the end of the day but I'm not sure. Basically, you have to figure out which macronutrient plan works best for you (55% carbs, 30% protein, 15% fat or any other combination). That's the gist of what I got out of it.

Marcy

As far as eating is concerned, the message I got out of it is 1) eat 5-7 short meals, each with some protein; 2) drink lots of water; 3) eat foods in their most natural form as much as possible; 4) don't restrict your calories dramatically; 5) eat complex carbs; 5) watch your macros; 6) zig zag your calories.

These are pretty much consistent with many others I have read (e.g. Berardi, Cosgrove, etc.) The only recommendations that I can remember to be different were from most others are to 1) do substantially more cardio for fat loss; and 2) do cardio on a fasted stomach.

I just got a hard copy of the book from half.com. You can get it at amazon. I'm not quite 1/3 of they way through it and I'm really enjoying it and it's making me really think about some things that I can change. I ended up getting the book instead of the ebook because it was a lot cheaper. I'm finding the book to be very readable.

Is the actual hardcover book called "Burn the Fat, Feed the Muscle"? 'cause he does have a hardcover book called The 5 principles of Fat Loss or something like that. I have both!

I was wondering the same thing - I have a hardcover book of his called the 5 something or other. I remember thinking it was a pretty good book in that it addressed some of the mental challenges of weight loss - like accepting that it was going to require some sacrifice and take time, setting goals and staying focused on them, etc. To that extent it was a worthwhile read.

Just checked Amazon the book is called Body Fat Solution which is different that Burn the Fat Feed the Muscle. I enjoyed them both. The ebook is more intricate and written for deticated athletes that want to get the most from their diet/exercise. The latter is more for the ordinary Joe. They both had good stuff. When it comes right down to it, we all know what we need to be doing. There is no magic secret! It sucks, but it's the way it is. Good luck with your fitness endeavors!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.