bunion

shandav

Ok everybody, I have a severe bunion (so gross I know) that I am going to have removed in 2 weeks. I am not scared of the actual surgery, I am scared of being put to sleep to do this. If anyone has had this done, could you please tell me your experience? I want all the good & the bad details. Thanks to all

I've had the surgery twice. Everything went very well. The surgery is a piece of cake. Recovery is a bit of a pain. The first time, my surgical site got infected - under the cast. It was really gross and itched a lot. The second recovery was a few years later and I had a toddler, so that was a pain, but overall not too bad. More stressful than anything.

You'll be glad you did it. Your foot will feel and look so much better. My mother actually gasped when she saw how much better my foot looked after the surgery. I've still got some pretty visible scars, but I have very pale skin.

I can ease your mind about being put to sleep - I have had many surgeries, though not bunions.

Being put to sleep used to be really scary, at least for me - the room would spin, I would feel like I was falling - yuck.

In the last 10 years, many wonderful new drugs have come on the scene - it's like night and day. Be sure they give you Zofran. I think it's pretty standard now. It will keep you from having post-op nausea and relax you in a good way. Also, anesthesiologists have gotten so precise with drugs now that the last 4 times I've had surgery, they've said ``Go to sleep now'' and the next thing I knew I was awake and feeling fine in the recovery room.

I had a bunion removed about 9 yrs. ago. The BEST thing I've ever done for my foot.

I was awake throughout the whole procedure. I was given a headset to wear. I was sitting up in the chair with a partition just below the neck area so I couldn't see what was being done.

The whole procedure was about two hours long--went by pretty quick because of the music I was listening to. The only thing I felt was the first initial shot to freeze the foot and every now & then I felt another pinch when the medication was wearing thin.

The only thing that bugged me was that the doctor did not tell me that he had to break my bone in two placesx(. I find out the hard way -- trying to walk.

I have never had another pain my left foot again }(

Haydee

Thank you guys so much, you have all made me feel so much better about this already. My foot looks so misshapen now, I know that I will prob gasp at how much better it is going to look. Thank you all so much for taking the time to respond!! If this one goes well I will prob get the other done next year.

I had both feet done (at different times) in my early twenties....it was best thing I ever did.:) I no longer was in pain and my feet looked normal again. At the time, I was told I may have to have them done again in about 10 years because the tendons in the back of my legs created the condition (they are too short and cause my feet to be inflexible). I am happy to report it has been 24 years since the surgery and they haven't returned. I should also add that I work all day on my feet so I am also very careful about the shoes I wear. I had 2 sets of custom orthotics made but honestly only wore them for a short period of time (they weren't comfortable). Dansko professional clogs are wonderful for support and comfort when you can wear normal shoes again. (It took me a long time to find a pair of shoes that didn't aggravate a hereditary problem.)

It will take quite a while for your bones to remodel and your foot will be really wide for a while. There were shoes and boots I couldn't get into for about a year (my feet were too wide). The first week after the surgery is tough (pain wise), but it should be smooth sailing after that.

I'm also sure surgery is more advanced now. Good luck.

About how long do you have to wait after bunion surgery before you can start working out again? I have awful bunions, they're hereditary. The dr. said I shouldn't get the surgery unless I'm in so much pain I can't stand it. They're ugly, they hurt, but not too bad because I try to wear shoes that don't aggravate them. I would like to have the surgery done too but I'm concerned with how longI wouldn't be able to work out.

Ashley

Hi,

I had the surgery in Sept and Dec of last year. Being put under didn't bother me in the least. In fact, I wouldn't have it any other way. You wake up and it's done!

Now the recovery, that's something else... but I'm very glad I had it done. No more pain. It took me a good ten weeks after the second surgery to be able to do certain lower body exercises (lunges are still a little difficult on one foot) and cardio, but I was able to do upper body work the week after. My feet still get swollen after a hard Cathe cardio workout, but they don't limit my workout at all.

I've only worn heels once since the surgery and that was only because I was going to a ball. I wasn't told until after the surgery that it would take a full year to recover... or maybe I just didn't to hear that!

Vanessa

After my first surgery, I think I started working out again maybe two months later? I had the cast on for 6 weeks. But the second surgery, I only wore the cast for 3 weeks and I was allowed to bear weight on it. I wasn't exercising at the time, because I had an 18 month old, so I can't answer about how long it took with that one.
If you have a stationary bike or something that's no-impact, that may be your option for exercising after you get the cast off.

Was it your podiatrist that said to not have the surgery? I would disagree on the "so much pain you can't stand it" thing, because they will only get worse and the older you are, the longer your recovery will be.

Get the surgery. You'll be glad you did!

I had a toddler too when I had one of the surgeries (my left foot) and that made a big difference with the healing. That foot took longer to heal....I believe it was because I constantly had to get up to tend to her. I couldn't lay down and keep it elevated.

I also never had a cast. In both feet bones were cut and removed. I had pins put in but I wore a soft boot. The scars are totally unnoticeable because the surgeon put them on the bone line.:) You would really have to look closely at my feet to even see them.

Whether or not they do surgery I believe depends on the X-rays (how misaligned the bone structure is). I am not sure how much they go by pain although I am sure it plays a major role. I had a second opinion on both my surgeries. I did not want to have any unnecessary surgery. The doctor wanted to do both feet at the same time and I was so very glad I didn't. I would never have been able to walk.

Each foot took a different amount of time to heal as well. My right foot oddly healed faster than my left and also gave me so much less trouble as far as pain after surgery. I also had it done two years after my left so I was more prepared. I think the estimates as far as recovery time depend on your body. I think if you keep the foot elevated and rested right after surgery it heals better. This is only from my personal observation.

I just had surgery last March. Apparently there are different methods Dr.'s use b/c I did not wear a cast post op. I had an ace bandage and one of those hideous stiff/flat sole surgical shoes. My bunion was really bad. Dr. warned swelling could take up to a year post op to return to normal.I still have some swelling. Just enough I can't wear my heeled strappy shoes. If I try those the bottom of my foot hurts like it's bruised and there too tight. Also due to the swelling [not too too bad now] I don't have great balance. The swelling is just enough to throw me off. As for working out. I say approx. 2-3 weeks post op start doing floor work [leg lifts, ect]I did exagerated slow paced marching in place useing hands to get some cardio. If you have done squeeze she does a faster version at the begining of the tape. It WILL get your heart pumping with little stress on foot. Do it where you can grab something if you get off balance. Pain post op is due to swelling. Keep foot elevated as much as possible. Give your foot the time it needs to heal. Find the best Dr. you can. I know quite a few people who have had it done and were unhappy w/ the results. I found a great Dr. and am very happy. The anesthesia is no problem as meds have come a long way. Borrow crutches to make things a bit easier the first few days post op. Ice, ice, ice and elevate!

>I just had surgery last March. Apparently there are different
>methods Dr.'s use b/c I did not wear a cast post op. I had an
>ace bandage and one of those hideous stiff/flat sole surgical
>shoes. My bunion was really bad. Dr. warned swelling could
>take up to a year post op to return to normal.I still have
>some swelling. Just enough I can't wear my heeled strappy
>shoes. If I try those the bottom of my foot hurts like it's
>bruised and there too tight. Also due to the swelling [not too
>too bad now] I don't have great balance. The swelling is just
>enough to throw me off. As for working out. I say approx. 2-3
>weeks post op start doing floor work [leg lifts, ect]I did
>exagerated slow paced marching in place useing hands to get
>some cardio. If you have done squeeze she does a faster
>version at the begining of the tape. It WILL get your heart
>pumping with little stress on foot. Do it where you can grab
>something if you get off balance. Pain post op is due to
>swelling. Keep foot elevated as much as possible. Give your
>foot the time it needs to heal. Find the best Dr. you can. I
>know quite a few people who have had it done and were unhappy
>w/ the results. I found a great Dr. and am very happy. The
>anesthesia is no problem as meds have come a long way. Borrow
>crutches to make things a bit easier the first few days post
>op. Ice, ice, ice and elevate!
I forgot to add that I still cant comfortably do any real jumping on my foot [10 weeks post op]. It just doesn't feel quite stable. Also, I have a terrible time doing reverse lunges. My toes just don't want to bend in the reverse position. Having said that I must add I was having trouble pre op w/ those reverse lunges due to bunion, and my bunion was so bad that I ended up w/ two screws which may be inhibiting joint mobility. Even w/ all this I am very happy w/ outcome of surgery.

Annette Bethel

I just went to the doctor today....I am putting off this surgery until the first of August. In the meantime I get to shave the skin off. But I have 3 bunions and he has to break 2 toes and insert pin on left foot. I am not liking the 10-12 week recovery time at all. Housework yes, working out no. But he said that I could do upper body and core work and light stretches.

Thanks for the posts and however started this! Annette

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.