Breastfeeding

Hi Kaz,

This is completely unrelated to breastfeeding, but I was wondering if I could ask a couple of aromatherapy questions please ?

1. My youngest, Josephine will be 2 in December, is she old enough to have a drop of lavender on a tissue at night when she is restless ? or Myrtle when she is snuffly ?

2).How do you know if an essential oil has gone off ? i wish companies would sell them in 2ml sizes.

3).Is jasmine worth investing in to add a sweet smell to the atmosphere ?

many thanks

Anna

Anna, I'm not a professional in this area, but I can share that a little peppermint oil used around the home (or even in the laundry) can help during the sniffles. Tea tree oil mixed with a carrier is great in the vaporizor too. I can't wait to read the answers to your questions! (((((HUGS))))) sandi

Hi Anna,

To answer your q's:

1) Lavender is probably preferable to Myrtle (slightly more relaxing and children usually prefer the smell). One drop is fine for her on a tissue or on the top of her quilt/duvet at night to help her sleep. The amount of essential oil used does have to be reduced for babies and young children, so always take advice from a qualified practitioner. Essential oils should never be used internally, orally or neat on the skin (there are some oils which can be used in SMALL amounts neat on the skin, but seek professional advice).

2)Believe me - you will know when an essential oil has gone off -it smells "fausty" or "rancid". To give you a general rule of thumb, most essential oils will keep for a year, if not more, as long as you store them correctly (out of direct sunlight, at room temperature and in the amber glass bottles that you purchase them in). The only exception to this is any citrus oil (eg, Mandarin, Orange, Lemon, Petitgrain, Tangerine, to name a few - there are lots more), which keep for approx 6-8 months. But, as I say, the "sniff test" will definitely tell you if they are "off".

3)Jasmine is a wonderful oil with a rich, warm, floral scent - but very expensive! It would certainly be an uplifting and beautiful smell to add to your home. In the West, the common jasmine is said to "warm the womb...and facilitate the birth".

A good book, if you are interested - The Encyclopeadia of Essential Oils by Julia Lawless. I think it is available at Amazon.co.uk.

Hope this helps!

Kaz.

Today Is The Tomorrow We Worried About Yesterday And All Is Well.

Thanks Kaz !

You have answered my burning questions, they have been bugging me for ages. I bought mandarin and lemon oil a year ago - I know my mandarin is ok, because I used it the other night, but I will do a whiff test on the lemon tonight.
I loved your little inscription about Jasmine, it is a gorgeous oil, i think I might treat myself to some. The most extravagant oil I have bought so far is Sandalwood, expensive but worth it, and it makes a great ant repellent ! They hate it !

BTW, Kaz, what is your favourite essential oil and favourite carrier oil ? My favourite essential oil is a tie between lavender and tea tree, I couldn't live with out these, and my favourite carrier oil is Avocado. It is so rich and sumptuous - heaven for a dry skin type !

Many thanks

Anna

Hi Anna,
I think my most useful oil is Lavender - simply because it is so versatile. I always put a drop on the top of our duvet at night, so the smell always reminds me of "sleeeep"!! My favourite oil from a pure indulgence point of view is Rose - the mother nature of all oils in my opinion. It has such a wonderfully balancing and calming effect and the most gorgeous smell! Very expensive (they have to crush so many tonnes worth of Rose petals to obtain the oil), but worth it! Also great in a carrier or cream for the skin. The carrier oil I use most commonly is Grapeseed, but my favourite carrier oil of all is Avocado - very penetrative and luxurious! I'm currently using an essential oil blend of Lavender, Frankincense and Petitgrain in an Avocado carrier in the hope of preventing stretch-marks!

Kaz.

Hi Kaz,

Your stretch mark blend sounds devine - I adore the smell of Frankincense ! Isn't Neroli good for stretch marks too ? How are your stretch marks ? Any signs of them yet ?
I never used essential oils during my pregnancies because I was too unsure about what I could or couldn't use. Silly really, when you can use them in labour !
I am glad we are in agreement about avocado oil, it is so scrummy, has a pongy earthy aroma about it though, but worth it for the moisturising benefits. I would love to try Jojoba oil, it also sounds gorgeous, as does Rose Hip oil, which is a good anti-ager though it goes off quickly, I've read somewhere.
I love aromatherapy, I could talk about it for hours !

anna

Hi Anna,

Unfortunately I have "old" stretch marks pretty much everywhere apart from my tummy from losing weight a few years ago (they are now a lovely silvery colour). How I hate them! If I could change one thing about my body, it would be to make them miraculously vanish!! Ah, vanity is a terrible thing!

Jojoba is also another really penetrative oil, so a blend of jojoba & avocado together would be the ultimate (hmmmn, now why didn't I think of that before?!).

Hope you & your family are well!

Kaz.

PS - Feel free to email me privately if you like - [email protected] (I'd hate to think we were boring everyone else with our Aromatherapy talk in a Breastfeeding thread, LOL!)

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.