Breast milk and magnesium sulfate?

melimcn

Cathlete
Hi everyone,
Just settling in here at home, and we're all doing well! Mason is adorable and we are just in love!

We've been bottle feeding him formula, because my milk still has not come in yet (day 5 now). The doctor thinks it's becuase of the mag drip I was on after delivery in order to address the eclampsia I had. Has anyone had a mag drip at any point?

I can't find much information on this at all (LLL has been pretty useless on this topic), and I'm getting impatient. I'd really like to give Mason breastmilk - either through breast or bottle, but it's just not coming in. In the meantime, we have to keep giving him formula - he won't work at the breast for colostrum because he's so hungry.

Any thoughts or resources that anyone has?

Hope everybody is well!:+

pump to stimulate production and see a lactation consultant (many are nurses specializing in lactation MUCH better than doctors imo)

even if you give the baby formula, keep putting him to your breast ...most newborns can only suckle for 4-5 minutes anyway before they fall asleep...trying to establish breastfeeding is one of the hardest things ive ever done...if you are committed to it, it will happen, but formula does sabotage these efforts. don't let the baby go hungry of course, but it really sounds like you need a medical professional like the lactation consultant.

oh yes I could have written your post after my first. I had pre-e and got the mag sulfate at the time of my induction.. kept me on it all day/night and the next day till my bp was back down. I also ended up w/ a c/s so that plus the mag sulfate is what I think caused my trouble. I had Hunter on Monday night and my milk came in on Sat. afternoon. I rented a hospital grade pump and pumped like crazy.. I let him nurse and then would supplement w/ a dropper.. (not a bottle so he didn't get confused) If you pump the colustrom you can give that in a dropper too so he'll get it, but I'd pump as much as you can as well as letting him nurse as much as he will. It was so frustering and I had no idea the mag. sulfate would do that. The next 2 children my milk was in the day I came home from the hospital (48 hours after delivery) and I had no mag. sulfate.. so I def. think it was the meds that did it.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.