bread machine recipes

gemgirl

Cathlete
I was wondering what would be a good bread machine recipe cookbook (if they even have that) and also a good website about the same thing. I googled "bread machine recipes" and boy, there's a lot of websites.

Are there a couple of websites that are really good? I want to start using my bread machine, but I'm at a loss on where to start. I have my instruction booklet with recipes in it, but they all have dairy in them and DD can't do dairy.

I make my own bread everyday with wheat I grind myself in my grain mill. You do not have to use any dairy in your bread. If milk is the liquid portion, change it to water. If it calls for powdered milk, just leave it out. It does nothing to the texture or the taste that I have ever been able to tell. If it calls for butter as the fat, replace it with a non trans-fat shortening like Smart Balance, or even vegetable oil. Dairy in the recipe makes bread mold faster anyway. Some folks would consider eggs part of dairy, but never leave out eggs if they are called for.

Don't be afraid of bread making! It's very simple, even without a machine. I don't have a favorite website, and I don't have a cookbook; I mostly get online and find interesting recipes for a change now and then, like something sweet or savory. The recipe I use each day is one I came up with myself by tweaking this and that until I got bread I really loved. You will find that all bread recipes are basically the same unless you're wanting to make a specialty bread of some kind, like sourdough or French. Those are much more involved.

If you want them, I will post my two recipes I use the most. One is a white dough for rolls (sinfully yummy and indulgent), and one is my whole wheat recipe for rolls and bread.

Hi. I recently started making my own bread with freshly ground wheat and I am trying to get a less crumbly recipe. Would you mind sharing your recipe? Thanks.

Jennifer

I'm happy to share. This is the recipe I make each day. It makes one 750 gram/ 1.5 lb loaf.

1 cup warm water
1 egg
2 Tb melted butter
1/4 cup sugar OR brown sugar OR honey
1 1/2 tsp salt
*2 1/4 cups freshly ground whole wheat flour
*1 cup all-purpose flour
1 Tb instant yeast

In the bread machine or bowl, put in wet ingredients first, then the dry, adding the yeast last. I run the dough cycle on my bread machine, letting the dough rise once. Then I remove it and place it in a greased loaf pan for the second rise until it's doubled. For rolls, pinch off into 16 pieces. Form into rolls and place in a greased pan to rise until double. Bake at 375 for 12 minutes.
For cinnamon raisin bread or buns, add 1 1/2 tsp cinnamon and 1/2 cup raisins during the final kneading process.

*The total flour content for this recipe is 3 1/4 cups of any flour, whole wheat or white. Because freshly ground whole wheat flour needs some extra gluten to rise properly, I use some white flour. You can use all whole wheat flour if you add a tablespoon or two of gluten, which you can find in the grocery store near the yeast. I prefer to add a little gluten and use all fresh ground flour, but I live overseas and can't get gluten.

Play around with the ratio of white flour to whole wheat. You may only need 1/4- 1/2 cup of white flour to properly rise your loaf depending on your elevation and the weather. Start with the ratio I use, and then decrease it a little each time you make a loaf to find the right amount for you.

I second Robin's Bread Lover's cookbook recommendation. GREAT cookbook! I also like to read it each year when it gets cold outside!!

Sherri Lynn go to the library they have LOTS of bread machine books. I find the BEST recipes you get are from people you know...So start asking around. Natalies recipe looks GOOD why don't you start out with that?? Good Luck!!

Natalie I just printed up your recipe and I am getting my machine out today, and am going to make it:D Would LOVE for you to post your dougnut recipe:D

Thanks,

~Nicole

I can hear the bread machine kneading the ingredients as I type. Oh, it stopped. It's on the rising stage now. Hehehehe.

DD and DH will let me know if it's good or not. I won't be able to eat it, because I don't do wheat or gluten. Well I could, but my body would let me know that I have angered it.

Natalie,
What if you don't have a bread machine? Can I do this without? Your recipie looks great!
Deanie

Natalie, DD thinks the bread is a winner. She really likes it. I'll have to wait until DH comes, before he can try any. I'm thinking that he will like it also.

DD asked me if I could make bread every day. She also wants to have some homemade bread at her birthday party, which will be a week from this Saturday.

Thanks for posting the bread recipe. By the way, it smelled delicious while it was baking.

Deanie,

You do not need a bread machine to do the recipe. Sometimes I do a batch in the machine and one on the counter to I can get two loaves quickly.
This dough is VERY moist, so when you're kneading on the counter, resist the urge to add more flour to keep it from sticking to your fingers. Flouring the counter generously first should be enough. As the gluten develops within the dough, it will start to become smooth and elastic. This takes about 15 minutes of vigorous kneading. However, there will be times when a tablespoon or two more flour might be necessary.
Make sure you let the dough proof (rise) twice in a warm place until doubled. I warm my oven to 170 and stick it in there for an hour, and it usually does the trick. Punch it down after the first rise, place in a loaf pan or make your rolls, warm the oven back up a bit, and let it rise again for 1 hour. Then you can proceed to bake them. Remember to take the risen dough out of your oven before turning the oven on to preheat. Be careful not to bump the pan or the dough might "fall."
Bake at 375 20 minutes for a loaf, and 12 minutes for rolls.

Nicole,

Actually, I posted that I had a white dough recipe, not doughnuts. :) The white dough is the same recipe I posted, but using all white four. DROOL!!

However, you are in luck because I DO have a great doughnut recipe that I only make for the holidays because they're just too good to have around all the time. It looks long, but it is very, very easy. Here goes:

1. Combine 1 1/2 cups flour and 2 pkts instant yeast.

2. Heat and stir 3/4 cup milk, 1/3 cup sugar, 1/4 shortening or butter, and 1/2 tsp salt until very warm and shortening melts.

3. Add to flour; then add 2 eggs.

4. Beat with electric mixer in low for 30 seconds, scraping down the sides of the bowl. Beat on high for three minutes.

5. Using a SPOON, stir in as much of another 1 1/2 to 2 cups of flour as you can.

6. Turn on to floured surface. Knead in enough flour (if needed) to make a soft, elastic dough. Knead 3-5 minutes.

7. Let rise in a greased bowl until doubled. Punch down and turn onto a floured surface, dividing dough in half. Cover and let rest for 10 minutes.

8. Roll each half to 1/2 inch thickness, and cut with a doughnut cutter. Reroll and cut out again and again.

9. Cover and let rise until VERY light, for 1 hour. Heat cooking oil to 365, and cook two at a time until golden brown, turning only once.

I wonder if Cathe will put me on probation for posting this! ;)

I'm so glad you all like it!!

I have one correction (I made a new post as well): the cooking time for a loaf is 20 minutes at 375. The rolls are 12 minutes at 375. Sorry about that.

LOL....... Natalie...... THANKS so much the bread recipe:D My loaf turned out PERFECT, and it did not last long:D YUM.... I can't wait to make those dougnuts:9

Thanks again for taking the time and posting your recipes:)

~Nicole

No problem! To me there are few things as comforting and welcoming than a warm, fragrant loaf of homemade bread. I'm glad to share the joy!

DH really liked the bread. Tomorrow morning, I shall make white bread. Sometime in the near future, I need to try the doughnuts.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.