Books!!

tlc93

Cathlete
Last year around this time, there was a thread about books and what people were reading. So many of you chimed in with some great books. I've been busy going through the list I created from that forum thread. I've read some authors that were new to me and some older books that I loved. Summer is here so why not get another list going.

I usually read mystery, suspense, murder, psychological thriller types. Some of my favorites that are NOT from that genre but that I got from the thread are:
"Sarah's key"- Tatiana De Rosnay
"The husband's secret" Liane Moriarty
"The vacationers' Emma Straub
"The son" Jo Nesbo
"The chase" Janet Evanovich
"The casual vacancy" J.K. Rowling
"Secret life of bees" Sue Monk Kidd
"The Spellman files" Lisa Lutz

Who doesn't love a good story right?

Oh my....I've read so many!!! I looked at the list recently and picked a handful that I remember really enjoying. Those are listed above. I also read, James Patterson, Harlen Coben, Lisa Scottoline, Faye Kellerman and John Kellerman, John Sanford. So many!! I love when a story stays with you long after the last page has been turned. "The Storyteller" by Jodi Piccoult was also good. I read that one some time ago. I also just re-read "Angela's ashes" by Frank McCourt. Loved that one, very moving.

I love to read Alex Kava, esp her Maggie O'Dell series. She has other books that are good as well. She is starting a new branch off series from a character from the Maggie O'Dell ones. These are the Creed ones. She had only one of those and the second is coming out in July. She does great murder/suspense/mystery.

Justinef......I'm with you......that's exactly why I posted this thread. I've read some great books (that I normally would not pick up) due to last years forum. Another title I got from last year "Where'd you go Bernadette". I forget the author, sorry. But it was a cute story.

Firemedic....I looked up your suggestion, perfect for my taste! Thank you. I do love something that creeps me out in the dark of night!

I love book threads! Here is my favorites from the past few months. :)

Dead Wake by Erik Larson
Not My Father's Son by Alan Cumming
All the Light We Cannot See by Anthony Doerr
The Storied Life of A.K. Fikry
Dark Places by Gillian Flynn
Looking for Alaska by John Green
Heft by Liz Moore (I don't know why this never made it to the national bestseller list)
The Martian by Andy Weir
The Invention of Wings by Sue Monk Kidd

I'm in the middle of The Nightingale by Kristin Hannah, which is really excellent so far.

tlc93,

Thank you for posting a summer reading list. Great idea!

I'm a fan of autobiographies and have reserved from the library Reagan: A Life by H.W. Brands
but I look forward to picking some of those recommendations that you and everyone else posted.

Firelight.....please read "The glass castle" by Jeanette Walls. That was another book I happened to pick up one day....didn't put it down until I was done! Yes, it was that good. She's a writer and its a story about her life growing up. It made me cry, laugh, get angry etc. I still think of it and I read it MANY years ago. Loved it!

Also, Alan Alda "Things I overheard while talking to myself". His autobiography, I found it interesting, insightful and amusing.

Mentioned above from Alan Cummings "Not my fathers son". Poignent and at times painfully honest. Loved it too!

Here are my favorites from the last couple of months. Can't wait until my vacation in late August. We go to the beach and do absolutely nothing. I can usually read 4 or 5 books during the week.

The Husband's Secret - Liane Moriarity
The English Teacher and Father of the Rain - Lily King
The Ice Cream Queen of Orchard Street - Susan Jane Gilman
Zeitoun - Dave Eggers
All the Light We Cannot See - Anthony Doerr
Between Shades of Gray - Ruta Sepetys
Wayfaring Stranger - James Lee Burke
Natchez Burning - Greg Iles
Reconstructing Amelia - Kimberly McCreight
The Motel Life, Lean on Pete, Northline and The Free - Willy Vlautin

I am currently reading The Poet by Michael Connelly

Great thread, here are my suggestions:
Non-fiction:
The Boys on The Boat - Daniel James Brown - I'm not a big non-fiction fan, but this was recommended and it was excellent!!

WWII fiction
The Nightingale - Kristin Hannah
The Girl You Left Behind - Jojo Moyes
All The Light We Cannot See - Anthony Doerr
The Book Thief

Mystery/Suspense/Thriller:
Dennis Lehane - Kenzie/Gennaro series: 1. A Drink Before the War. 2. Darkness Take My Hand 3. Sacred 4. Gone Baby Gone 5.Prayers for Rain
Anything by Michael Connelly
The Girl on the Train - Paula Hawkins
The Killing Floor - Lee Child
Deep Storm - Lincoln Child
Lincoln Child and Douglas Preston - they have a series of excellent books. Relic is the 1st.

This Is Where I Leave You - Jonathan Tropper There is quite a bit of sex and language in this one but it is hilarious!
Big Little Lies - Liane Moriarty

I need to start writing down what I read, it is so hard to remember!! Happy summer reading!

Love2read.....I've read "The book thief", very good book! Also...."this is where I leave you", was that made into a movie with Jane Fonda? I saw the movie and it was hysterical!

I get 90% of my books from the library and because I typically request books using the on line system, there is a record of what I've checked out. Makes it easier because I have also started a book and a few pages into it.......Hmmm.

Thanks for your recommendations!

Yes Jane Fonda was in the movie, of course the book is much better, but they stayed pretty true to it. It was like it was written for Tina Fey to play the role of the sister! I mostly read off my kindle and it keeps my books, but I haven't figured out a way to keep the order of what I've read, it has them alphabetized so it takes a while to look thru to find my recent reads. If a book does not grab me in 50 pages or so I move on, life is too short and there are just too many books to discover :)) I am going to read the Spellman Files, thanks for the recommendation!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.