Bodymax still a humbling experience

Bebop

Cathlete
This one gets me everytime. I haven't done this in a while and I was looking for a grueling workout to offset a free eating day. I have yet do complete it as scripted. Today I though I was up to the challenge since I've been able to complete more and more Cathe cardio's and her choreography is getting familar.

HA_ I whipped through the first part - I felt great - my heartrate was in the high end but I had energy - by the end of the second section I was cursing her - tell me - they had to have taken breaks before doing that bodysculpt section. I had to stop.

So - for those who have done the entire tape - how long did you have the workout before you did it all they way through?

I'm determined to do it -

I've had Bodymax for about one and a half years but have only done bits and pieces of it. Yesterday, I was "forced" by Cathe to do it all the way thru since I am trying to follow her July rotation.
Yikes! I breezed thru the first part too. But half way thru the weight work, I was really stumbling. When it came time for abs, I thought "at least I can lay down" - but I had to quit after about a minute.
What a wild workout, can't wait to try it again.

Lauren

This is one of my favorite workouts, along with mic. I try to do this workout at least once every 2 to 3 weeks. I honestly don't remember not ever being able to complete it. It really is a butt kicker. Just keep at it, and there is nothing wrong with taking short breaks when needed. It's nice to get a good cardio session and weights in the same workout.

Diana:)

I tried this workout for the first time three weeks ago and, although it was tough, I did the whole thing. After reading so many posts about how challenging it was, I felt pretty smug that it didn't seem ALL that hard (relatively speaking, of course). A couple of hours afterward and for most of the next day, I was VERY tired and didn't feel quite so smug anymore;-) . I like to do one tough cardio/weights workout a week (mostly BC) so I decided to try to do BM once a week for 4 weeks or so. It's amazing how regularly doing intense cardio improves your cardio capacity so quickly. Lifting weights in the same workout is really efficent too, and gives a whole different feel to a workout. I did it again a week later and didn't feel quite so tired. Last week, I was feeling crampy and not up for it so I skipped it. I plan to do it again this Friday but am already kind of dreading it. I would love it if someone would do it with me so that I'm more inclined to do it. Anyone up for it? (It really was easier the second week, I swear!)

OK Susan, I''ll do it with you on Friday At least I don't have to think about what to do on that day. I like to do BC on Friday, but that'll do too I guess...
What time do we start?:)
I did 40 min cardio (bike, rowing) today and the upperbody & abs part of the DVD and it was a great workout -- so fast!
See you on Friday!

Great! How 'bout I come over around 5am?}(

(Actually, I'm a SAHM and, thankfully, have the luxury of working out mid-morning.)

Hi there Susan!

So, how was it? I almost bailed out due to some sinus infection, but I just couldn't let you down...
It was great, but definitely kicked my butt.
Now I'm enjoying my egg white omlett and getting ready to work.
Lucky me -- I only start at 12 pm.
What should we do next?

Mari

Hi Mari! It felt a little tougher than last time, but not unbearable, and I felt great when I was done! The only thing I did differently was to substitute KPC abs because my abs respond better to nontraditional ab work. Plus it's a lot less boring:) !

Hmmmm, as far as what to do next... I'm just finishing up an 8-wk PS rotation and will begin an S&H rotation next week. I've never done S&H so I'm not sure if I can handle BM in the same week. It's on my calendar, though, because I could use some extra upper body work and I enjoy the challenge of doing intense cardio/circuits at least once a week. BM accomplishes both very nicely! If I don't do that, I'll probably do BC which, IMO, is just as tough.

Unless you have a better idea...

Susan,

I was thinking about doing SH next week too! I sort of follow my own things, this week was "lighter weight" week for me.
Do you want to do one bodypart a day or more? I plan on doing just one and some abs plus cardio.
Today those pushups killed me the most. What weight did you use?
I used a 25lb barbell for all the barbell stuff, then 20lb for the one arm row and 15-10-8 for the shoulder stuff.
I only hit the pause once when my husband called... I was also a lot more prepared today for the very fast paced upper body part.
Tomorrow just cardio but Sunday I want to do ME.

Take care

Mari

Since it will be my first time with S&H, I plan to do it as is. I'm an ecto and would love to see more significant strength gains.

Don't even talk about pushups! I am a pushup weenie! The most straight-legged pushups I've ever done was 6 and I NEVER do them that way during a Cathe workout. I can barely finish most of her sets on my knees:-( . I also always do pushups before all the other chest work and sometimes before the entire workout.

As far as weight amounts, I use a 30 lb barbell for the power circuit leg work and 25 lbs for the other barbell stuff. Upper body dumbbell weights range from 5-20 lbs. You're right -- the upper body weight segment is very fast-paced! It does help to be prepared.

Tomorrow I will do KPC and Pilates. Sunday I start S&H. Thanks for doing BM with me!:)

I just did BodyMax yesterday. The whole thing! Wow 90 minutes is a long time but I LOVED the way I felt when I was done! I think I'm going to start doing this once a week. I felt great!!! It really is an awesome total body workout!

The first time I tried this workout (my first Cathe), I only made it through the first 30 minutes! I started doing the CTX cardios a lot and this really pushed my endurance level up there. In just 2 to 3 weeks I was able to complete Body Max. I haven't done it in a while but after yesterday I really want to start doing this one more often. But on the weekends when I have more time. :)

That's awesome, Dani! It really amazes me how consistently doing intense cardio improves your capacity SO quickly. Like Bootcamp, you get a lot of bang for your buck with this one! Have fun with it!

I did this workout on Saturday morning. I felt good after the step and circuit but by the time we went to biceps I felt my tireness coming on. Those crazy eights after all that chest and shoulders had me huffing and puffing. I try to do it about every 2-3 weeks because it great for cardio. I am not as tried as before since I started to IMAX 2, BC and Terminator DVD. Those workouts increase you cardio like nobodies business.

Karen

The first time I did it, I made it all the way through. But, I used the lighter weights. As I progressed, I eventually started upping the weight, heavier and heavier, depending on how I felt. For some reason though, I CANNOT do the bicep curls yet with the barbell:( . I sometimes do "The Firm" tapes, and Ican always use the barbell then, Ican't explain it. Itmust be because Cathe's videos TOTALLY exhaust every muscle, just like having a personal trainer. I have to agree, bodymax is amazing!

I was thinking of ordering the DVD with Body max, power hour and MIS, now you all have me convinced. I have Mis on VHS and really love it for a good all over body work out , but have heard so many things about body max and power hour also. It sounds tough, but I love a challenge and work outs to work up too. Thanks everyone.

Debbie:)

BodyMax is my favorite Cathe workout ever! It is so tough and effective but still fun. Unfortunately, I lent my copy out to a friend who was looking to shape up. I've asked her for it back many times and she keeps forgetting. So, I've been without my BodyMax for about a year now.

lINDA, I hope you get it back soon. A year is to long to go with out your favorite work out. Do you have it on DVD?, if so how do you like power hour?, I have Mis so I know that one but the other 2 sound very challenging. I think I would be calling your friend today. Have a wonderful day today.

Debbie

Hi Bebop !

I managed to do the whole workout only after increasing my aerobics capacity with Imax2 (not Imax, this was too tough too soon for me) ! Imax2 really helped me coping with the very fast pace and high intensity of Body Max. I did Imax2 once a week and saw really good improvements after a month. Then I was able to do Circuit Max and Body Max with no rests and with good form :)

After reading this thread I was inspired to dig out my BodyMax tape. I think I tucked it away after trying it once a long time ago thinking it was way to hard and Cathe was insane LOL. Oh my gosh, I remembered right! but I am determined to conquer this. I have been working out much more lately (compared to the first time I tried the tape) and I can see how it could actually be doable with work. The circuits in the middle got to me and I'm a coreography clutz but I will get this! Thanks for all the inspiration here!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.