BODYMAX...HELP!!!!

V

VLEstrange

Am I just a wimp, or is Bodymax really hard? I find it nearly impossible to get through the aerobics and the power segments, let alone the entire tape. I usually just get through the aerobics and call it quits. The problem isn't really my breathing, although I'm definately working at my max, it's my legs. At the end of the aerobics they just feel like lead! I have pretty muscular legs, I get through the PSlegs workout using a 35lb barbell,so I don't think that's the problem. Is it possible that I'm not eating enough before my workout? I usually have my regular breakfast (cereal and skim milk ) at 7 or so and then I have half of a nutrition bar and a glass of water around 9. I try to work out at 10am. I used to work out in the late afternoon, but in the last month I have switched to the morning (my son's naptime) because it's just easier when he's asleep. I'm sorry this is so long, any comments, suggestions, or encouragement would be greatly appreciated. Also, I was thinking of getting IntervalMax, will it kill me??!! I do Powermax and Step Heat with no problems (in fact, on the plus side,they seem easier since I've been trying to do Bodymax once a week. Thanks!!!

The treacherous Body Max...

Hi, there,

Do you subscribe to the Firmlist? If not, you should; this topic has been a hot one lately. :)
Believe me...you're not alone on this issue. Body Max is an extremely challenging workout, and it takes major self-discipline not to just stop the tape after the aerobics. :)

Anyhow, when you say you have to stop after that segment, do you mean the first one or the circuit segment? Also, what is the height of your step? I use one at approximately 7"...if I tried 8", I don't think fainting would be out of the question. I have managed to work up to the point where I do all of Body Max once a week, maybe, and on other days, I often splice it up. I might just do the upper body segment one day, or just the first cardio portion then tack on the last 2 segments of Power Max or Step Works.
Whatever the case, I reserve this tape for a day when I'm prepared to push extra hard. Like yourself, I consider my legs to be pretty strong, but they do get very fatigued at certain points in Body Max.

I guess there are several things you could experiment with...
1)Lower your step height a notch.
2)Modify the more powerful moves(jumping leg abductions, lunges, etc.) to those that allow you to remain aerobic but not overexerted.
3)Before Cathe condenses or starts the whole thing from the top, take a brief(maybe 30 second) water break and walk around a little, shaking out the legs.
4)Focus on your breathing.
5)Concentrate on the fun factor! (Okay, so this last one is lame and virtually impossible, but heck, it's nice to say) :)

I'm sure that, with time, you'll be able to work up to being able to do this whole tape with no problem. However, I'm willing to bet that most people don't do the tape in its entirety that often.
So, no worries...just make sure you're doing workouts you enjoy.
As for Interval Max, I'd definitely recommend it.
It's an awesome workout...and I'm sure you'd be able to dominate it. :) Good luck!
Amy S.

I second the suggestions

When I first got BodyMax I shelved it for a few months. The first aerobics segment sent my heart through my chest cavity and into space! After I came back from the last VF Road Trip, I realized that I was approaching the tape wrong. Instead of going for maximum intesity, I paced myself. First of all, I had my step at its highest setting. So I lowered it. Then I took out most of the power moves during the aerobics. During the middle segment, I took all the power moves out of the first one minute. During the second minute, I did the power moves and for the weight segment I used extremely light weights.

What I found when I modified the tape like this is that it gave me tremendous room to grow. Each time I did the tape, I would add another bit of power. Eventually, I could do the whole tape with most of the power moves. Unfortunately, this was a "down summer" for me and I am back at square one (e.g. just getting through the first segment)!

my favorite thing about bodymax

I think you are doing just great! I don't know if Cathe "meant" it to be optional to break up these longer videos but that is why I purchased them in the first place. I used to do firm 45-60 min. videos prior to my last pregnancy. While looking at Collage I "found" Cathe, MIS to be exact. With MIS I broke up the video segments a whole lot while recovering from delivery. I could just do legs, or chest, or back not even upper or lower while my littlest slept (usually for all of 10 minutes at first hee hee). After he was about three months old I broke it up into upper and lower days, at seven months he gave me enough time for the whole 75 minutes. After deciding to visit this website I got Cathe's other videos which I take the liberty of breaking up according to my children's, husband's, pet's-well you get the idea- schedules.
In sum that is why I like Cathe videos so much. They are sooo flexible. I use 50lbs. on my legs and 42-46 on my upper body now. I am far stronger than I ever thought I could be. Firm videos are now no challenge and collect dust. My son is 1 year old, I am 30 (mom of 3) and in the best condition of my life!
To address the Body Max question. It is rare that I have the time to do the upper body portion of the video but I am pleased to have it there for a day when I just want to do upper body or perhaps I'll actually get 90 full minutes to workout! Wow! imagine that! Don't "sweat"it you'll get there!!!
Rachel

BodyMax - endurance

<center><font size="1" color="#ff0000">LAST EDITED ON Sep-10-99 AT 08:27AM (EST)</font></center>

Although I'm no expert, I don't think it strange at all that you can do PS Legs but still have a tough time with BodyMax (nor do I think that you're a wimp). PS Legs focuses on building lean muscle mass while BodyMax focusing on *endurance*. (although Cathe should confirm). If your muscles haven't been trained for that to this point, it's to be expected that you have to build up to finishing the tape, let alone finishing it without modifying anything.

I think Camille's (hi Camille!)and Schultz's suggestions on building up slowly were excellent. I haven't done BodyMax in a while and even though I'm in a PS rotation, I think I'd better dust if off before the October trip. Thanks for the push!

Judy

Bodymax

No, you are not a wimp at all. You just need to give yourself more time to acclimate to this type of workout. Bodymax is a workout that stresses endurance(the ability to go longer), whereas PS legs mostly stresses strength(the ability to go stronger). Also, changing the time of day that you workout will require an adjustment period as well. So you have basically been faced with two major challenges. Don't be discouraged, just take your time and work up to this workout. By the way, while not eating enough before any workout is always enough to put a damper on it(and quantities should be experimented with if you feel this is the case), I truly think that in this case, you are simply not used to the demands of Bodymax yet. Good Luck!

P.S. I guess you should be "warned" that you will definitely need to give your body additional amounts of time to acclimate to Intervalmax. Many of us here will agree that although the workout does tend to become doable, it never seems to get much easier. Intervalmax is an all out interval workout that will no doubt test your fitness limits!

BODYMAX;;Thanks!!!

Hi everyone, thank you soooo much for all of your suggestions and encouragement. I'm so glad I'm not the only one having a "tough" time with ths tape. I have a problem with wanting to be able to do a tape all out right from the beginning (I've owned this tape for 8 months though!). I am going to try to break it up a little. I'll let y'all know when I've mastered it. (I guess that means I'll be talking to you about this tape after the new year ha,ha.) I really love this forum, and I'm so glad I found it. Thanks for the support!!

Body Max is Great

<center><font size="1" color="#ff0000">LAST EDITED ON Sep-15-99 AT 08:03PM (EST)</font></center>

Cathe,
I think "Body Max" is one of the greatest fitness videos ever made. I have grown to treasure it highly. It is a workout that I will never outgrow and is so versatile. Sometimes I do all of it; others I use the first two sections and save the last section to do with another workout. I have even done the first step sequence for a "blast" of cardio when my time is short.

Please tell me that "Body Max" will come out in DVD and that you will do another video similar to "Body Max" I am sooo excited to see what you have in store for us in 2000!

Bodymax

Thanks for sharing your enthusiam. I'm so happy to hear about how it has impacted your workouts. As for the year 2000 and what we will be doing...........
happy.gif
!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.