Body Fat Scales

Has anyone ever used those bodyfat scales? It seems to me that my bodyfat can't be what the scale is telling me, I workout 5 to 6 days a week and I watch my diet. I'm not a big person, pretty petite, I do concentrate on weight training also, I wonder if that has something to do with it? I do cardio and now how important that is to a workout routine, so I'm wondering if this scale could be accurate, it's telling me I'm in a very heavy range for bodyfat. You definitely could not tell that by looking at me. Any experiences with these?

My two cents--forget about body fat. Go by what you see in the mirror & how your clothes fit. If you want some kind of measurement, check the scale once a week.

Body fat measurements have never been consistent & personally I think paying a lot of attention to it will get you all worked up for nothing.

Mic, don't panic about the scale reading. I have a Tanita bodyfat scale and also had my bodyfat tested by calipers to compare the two. The Tanita reading is 5-10% higher than the caliper reading depending on the time of day that you weigh yourself. These bodyfat scales are very sensitive to the amount of water in your body so if you measure first thing in the morning when you are slightly dehydrated, your reading will be at least 5% higher than later in the day. However, you can use this to your advantage because you will probably be dehydrated by a consistent amount in the morning relative to differing hydration during the day. I weigh myself first thing (almost) every morning after using the bathroom. These scales may not be accurate enough to give a correct bodyfat percent, but they are precise enough to be useful to track if you are making progress. I lost about 20lbs while keeping track of my weight and bodyfat using this scale and the bodyfat reading went from 29.5% to 18%.

If you want a very accurate measure of your bodyfat percent, you will need to find a place that offers the method where they dunk you in water. I don't know the technical term for this method, but know it is the most accurate.

Personally IMO, I don't think the bodyfat scales are meant for people who workout consistently--someone correct me if I'm wrong please.

Thanks,
Haydee

Most of the bodyfat scales aren't very "valid" in terms of the number you see. You might be able to gauge progess if it goes up or down but from what I've seen they aren't the best way to measure progress.

Colleen

All good comments.

I am one that does believe bodyfat is a valuable measure, but I am the analytical type. I would think calipers or water testing would be a better way to go, do it at the beginning of a focused rotation or eating plan and then the end. To see if you are making progress. When measuring my progress I look at my weight, bodyfat and also how I look in the mirror. All are valuable feedback, IMHO.

That being said, I do believe that you can be a petite light weight person but still have a high bodyfat. The world is full of them. I am a recovering one! I would classify myself as a "skinny fat" person. My weight is pretty low for my height, I am a size 4 or 6, but my bodyfat has never been all that low and as a result, you can't see my muscles all that well. You can...SOME. And you know, I am well...skinny. But not the muscular definition I see in Cathe or Jai or whatever who have low bodyfat. I am working on it, of course!

Went to a nutrition clinic where they said "The world is full of size 6 women with 35 percent bodyfat" (meaning, that is not healthy).

Not trying to say that your situation. Just food for thought.
Jen

I don't think those scales read the body fat correctly, they are usually off. However, I do believe they are very accurate at measuring your weight.

I think it's like comparing apples and oranges. You won't get the same readings as you will with calipers. But if you look at the recommended body fat percentages that come with the scale, you'll notice that the recommendations are higher. It's a good tool for checking progress, as long as you realize that that readings will be higher and will vary greatly depending on the time of day, etc. Just be sure to use their guidelines, not the standard bodyfat percentage recommendations--or you'll get really depressed!

I had myself hydrostatically weighed a couple of years ago, and the results were exactly the same as what they got with the calipers. The person doing they weighing said that if the person doing the measuring knows what they're doing, calipers are just as accurate as hydrostatic weighing.

Carol F

Thanks to all of you for your great replies. I will try to use it just as a measuring tool along with how my clothes fit and what time of the month it may be. I will use it more as a gauge than it being completely accurate. It does give me some insight as to how very, very little the bodyfat must be on Cathe and her crew. I mean they must have some serious eating regimens, atleast when they get ready to film a workout. In order to get your fat down to the point where your looking at the side obliques clearly is quite a feat!! I've had two kids and unfortunately I'm not Cathe, so that may never happen but I'll just be the best I can be, in a healthy way ofcourse!! Thanks again everyone for sharing your experiences. It helps!!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.

Back