Body fat scale v. calipers

NurseCD

Hi Cathe/everyone, which body fat measurement would you consider more accurate? I have been using a body fat scale for the last few months. This week, I had a friend who is a nurse practitioner in the bariatric department at work take measurements with calipers. She repeated the test and came up with 24% both times. However, the scale says 32% right now (I started off at 42%). The scale at the gym also started me off with 42%. (I had a 30 pound weight loss.)
The scale seemed a little off and would vary 2-3% on some days after drinking a lot of water. (Not to mention that I like the caliper number a whole lot better.) This seems like a big discrepancy (8%). Any thoughts? Thanks Chris

I am not Cathe, but I do know that there really is no great method for measuring body fat percentage except for a DEXA scan (which is the scan you get to also determine your bone mineral density to check for osteoporosis/osteomyelitis). The scales (at least the one's I have heard about) only measure from the waist down really.
Calipers are more accurate, but it does depend on who is doing the measurement and what calculation they are using (there are a gazillion calculations).

Body fat should not fluctuate like weight does. You won't be 26% one day and 23% the next. It should be even. Now, there will be decreases as fat is lost, but you most definitely won't go from 22% today to 25% tomorrow.

I hope that helped.

-Becky

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.