BMR

runfree

Cathlete
I had posted that I had a body fat test done. It also said my BMR is 1300. The guy said my metabolism is slow that the norm is between 1400-1600 for BMR. I cant believe this either. I would starve at 1300 calories a day. I asked him even on the days I exercise and he said that I could add 20percent extra on those days. How can my metabolism be low. I workout 5 days a week, lift wts, am a very active person. I guess this would explain with all the exercise I do, why I cant lose wt without starving myself. How can I change this? I thought lifting wts boosted your metabolism so what am I doing wrong.?

Body fat Test

How were you tested and what were the qualifications of the person who tested your Body fat? Unfortunately, a lot of people receive totally inaccurate results from poor testing.

Last edited:
I have to agree with what SNM stated. How did they determine your BMR? Did they do a specific test for you or use a formula?

A couple more questions--are you trying to lose weight? If so, how much? I ask because I'm curious why they set your calories at your BMR.

I could probably write a novel about BMR and AMR (Active Metabolic Rate) and exercise calories, but I'm not going to because I don't know your goals right now. Suffice it to say that in order to lose weight, you need to create a calorie deficit from your Active Metabolic Rate (not your BMR). Knowing your BMR is important, in my opinion, simply because you don't want to dip below your BMR when you don't have much weight to lose (the last 10-20 pounds). But if you lead a very active life and workout, I don't understand why your calories are being set based on your BMR alone.

BTW, I don't think you are doing anything wrong. My BMR, based on my height/weight/age/etc is about 1150. It could be that you are simply shorter than the average (as is my situation) or a little older than the average (as is my situation) or, actually, slightly leaner than the average (as is my situation) which is what is resulting in a lower BMR. Nothing you can do will ever change most of those things. If they did an actual test of your BMR and they expected it to be 1500 but it came out 1300, then that's a different story. But if they used a formula and then said that the average is 1400-1600 and you are 1300, then that doesn't mean you are doing anything wrong. It simply means you aren't 'average'. But that doesn't make your situation hopeless. And that doesn't mean you should only be eating your BMR calories each day.

they used an electrode test. they put a patch on my hand and one on my foot, it took a whole 30 seconds. he had me hold my arms straight out and then it printed out how hydrated I was ,how much toxic water I had surrounding my fat cells that I needed to detox to get rid of and that was causing me not to be able to lose wt. they said 50npercent was detoxification ,35 percent was nutrition and only 15 percent of it was exercise. I told them my height ,weight and age and he put that in the machine and told me my bmr was 1364 calories and that was below average of 1400-1600. he acted as tho my metabolism was slow. and they didnt beleive that age had anything to do with wt .loss at all that that was just an excuse for people. They said people say they are getting older and cant lose wt as a cop out. I disagree and yes they were trying to sell a detox kit tht was 600.00 . you had to detox for at least 6 months some people more.

they used an electrode test. they put a patch on my hand and one on my foot, it took a whole 30 seconds. he had me hold my arms straight out and then it printed out how hydrated I was ,how much toxic water I had surrounding my fat cells that I needed to detox to get rid of and that was causing me not to be able to lose wt. they said 50npercent was detoxification ,35 percent was nutrition and only 15 percent of it was exercise. I told them my height ,weight and age and he put that in the machine and told me my bmr was 1364 calories and that was below average of 1400-1600. he acted as tho my metabolism was slow. and they didnt beleive that age had anything to do with wt .loss at all that that was just an excuse for people. They said people say they are getting older and cant lose wt as a cop out. I disagree and yes they were trying to sell a detox kit tht was 600.00 . you had to detox for at least 6 months some people more.

To be blunt - sounds like bullshit to me.

There's a problem right there - they are trying to sell their product. In order to do that, they have to "show" you that you "need" their product. I wouldn't trust their results. You need to find someone to check your BMR who has no vested interest in the results.

I also agree with CLango about the number not necessarily being good or bad. If, and that's a big if, their numbers are correct, you aren't that far from the average, so I doubt it's a slow metabolism. Also, what the heck is "toxic water?" I don't believe in detoxification. Your body is designed to clean itself out. We just need to treat it properly for it to function as it should and most of us don't. Eating cleaner and healthier is the best way to do it.

I'm no fitness/nutrition expert, but I have done alot of reading on the subjects of BMR, weight loss, nutrition and such over the past 18 months. And I'm sorry to say that I think the test they gave you was designed for them to make a profit. Detoxifying for six months? Just no. As syzygy314 posted, the absolute best way to detoxify your body is simply to eat the right foods. The whole notion that you need something special outside of proper nutrition to detoxify is misleading (in my opinion).

As far as metabolism and aging, the BMR does go down as we age. That just is. It doesn't mean that older people can't lose weight. It just means that our requirement for food is less as we get older.

It sounds to me like you are doing alot of right things--working out, staying fit, etc. If I were you, I'd actually search for a standard BMR calculator online and see what number that gives you. But, again, your BMR isn't your daily caloric requirement (even if you are trying to lose weight). Your calorie deficit for weight loss should come from your Active Metabolic Rate, not your BMR.

Last edited:
Just so you are aware, your BMR is the amount of calories you need just to lay in bed all day and do nothing, no cleaning, no work, no working out. So that's probably accurate as far as the calories you need just to be able to function (i.e. blink your eyes, digestion, make new cells, grow hair, etc.) But because you don't lay in bed all day, you need more than that. Normally the formula (known as the Harris Benedict Formula)to get your AMR (Active Metabolic Rate) is to take your BMR and multiply as shown below:

Harris Benedict Formula

To determine your total daily calorie needs, multiply your BMR by the appropriate activity factor, as follows:

1. If you are sedentary (little or no exercise) : Calorie-Calculation = BMR x 1.2
2. If you are lightly active (light exercise/sports 1-3 days/week) : Calorie-Calculation = BMR x 1.375
3. If you are moderatetely active (moderate exercise/sports 3-5 days/week) : Calorie-Calculation = BMR x 1.55
4. If you are very active (hard exercise/sports 6-7 days a week) : Calorie-Calculation = BMR x 1.725
5. If you are extra active (very hard exercise/sports & physical job or 2x training) : Calorie-Calculation = BMR x 1.9

An easier way I do it for wieght loss for my clients is like this: On a scale of 1-4, rate how active you are, 1 being sedentary, 2 being like a desk job with 3 days a week of exercise, 3 being like a manual labor job with extra exercise, and 4 being like a professional athlete. Then whichever number you pick, add it to the 1. ........so for intance if you rate your level at a 3, you would multiply your BMR by 1.3 and that would give you how many calories you need in order to lose weight. That way you under your actual needs based on the Harris Benedict formula. Because if you take in the exact calories you need for your AMR, you will maintain where you are. If you go under, and create that deficit, that's where you'll see those inches start to fall off! On the contrary, if you eat only at your BMR, you are at risk of not getting enough nutrients and slowing down your metabolism further, which will set you up for some major issues hormonally and healthwise.

Hope that helps....
Another great calorie tracker I've discovered works for many of my clients is www.myfitnesspal.com and it's free!

The GoWearFit and BodyBugg, I have the GWF, are a great way to see what you really burn all day long. I can't figure out the difference between the two, except the GWF was cheaper than the Bodybugg when I bought it, I'm pretty sure they are even made by the same company. So that confusion aside, they are both really good products.

Computing my calorie need using the Katch-McArdle method using my body fat % and weight my BMR is 1257 calories and with my sedentary lifestyle my calories used in a day are 1509. For me this is very accurate because when I add exercise and eat 1550 calories I can lose 1/2 lb per week. Since sts and most cardio use only 300 calories for me (remember I have slow metabolism) this gives me about a 250 calories deficit per day.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.