Big Lifts or Body Part Splits?

jansherman

Cathlete
I'd love to hear Cathe's opinion on this, but would welcome other opinions as well. According to many of the "experts" the best way to increase strength, size, and to lower body fat is to do the big lifts. Heavy squats, deadlifts, pullups, rows, and bench presses are supposedly much more effective than taking a lifting day and doing biceps, triceps, and shoulders, for example.

Since STS is split into body parts, I'm wondering what Cathe thinks about the philosophy that some of the splits are time wasting. Not saying I agree, just wondering what others think.

Hi Jansherman! This was brought up in the past with a different twist on the question but your topic in question is pretty much the same. Here is a link to it, which will probably address what you are asking.

http://www.thecathenation.com/forum/showthread.php?t=178830&highlight=rules+lifting+sts

I'd love to hear Cathe's opinion on this, but would welcome other opinions as well. According to many of the "experts" the best way to increase strength, size, and to lower body fat is to do the big lifts. Heavy squats, deadlifts, pullups, rows, and bench presses are supposedly much more effective than taking a lifting day and doing biceps, triceps, and shoulders, for example.

Since STS is split into body parts, I'm wondering what Cathe thinks about the philosophy that some of the splits are time wasting. Not saying I agree, just wondering what others think.

My two Cents

I'd like to add that I have all of Cathe's total body workouts that I still enjoy. But I never saw the definition of muscles nor strength gains until I started doing weekly rotations of Slow & Heavy and Gym Styles. Working different body parts to failure on different days really worked for my body. (It helped me get into a strapless gown for my wedding!)

I still like the total body workouts, but I use them more for endurance. I use splits like S&H and Gym Styles (and soon STS!) to get the muscle definition and strength. At least that is what worked for me. And I wouldn't give up the bicep, tricep, or shoulder work as I love that I'm seeing those muscles much more defined and not flapping in the breeze. (Thanks, Cathe!)

Dawn

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.