Biceps Tendon Strain

gym_mom

Cathlete
Haven't posted in a long while, but I knew this was the place I might be able to get answers.

Has anyone else ever had a biceps tendon strain? I was working out back on Halloween (I remember it clearly) and had an unexpected pain in my shoulder. I knew right away it was the bad type of pain that people always warn you about. I stopped the workout, ultimately had an ortho doc look at it and he diagnosed Biceps Tendon Strain. While I had the most improvement over the first 30 days, seven months later I'm still not 100%. I've done RICE, a cortisone shot, and physical therapy thus far. I went for a second opinion, second doc told me these things could take as long as a year to recover. He basically made me feel like I was wasting his time.

I'm at the point where I have resumed my strength training and am pretty much back to the level of weights I was before (except for my shoulder excercises - I'm only lifting half of what I used to lift - more aggravates the shoulder). But I find that my shoulder pain can be triggered by the slightest thing - like weeding in the garden, or mixing meatloaf by hand, or too much time typing at the computer.

Basically my complaint is that although I can pretty much do anything I want, I'm always aware of a nuisance pain in my right shoulder. Whereas I'm rarely even aware I have a left shoulder - if that makes any sense at all. I get a burning sensation in the front of the shoulder and an achy feeling in the back of the shoulder almost daily, more acutely when I've aggravated it. I can't get over this nagging thought that there's something else going on.

My question is - if you've had a biceps tendon strain, how long did it take to heal? Are my symptons similar to what you experienced? What treatment was most effective for you? I'm not expecting any medical advice, I just would like to see how my experience compares to someone else with the same diagnosis.

Sorry for the long post -

Wow - I am experiencing that exact thing right now (along with some knee issues). However, I was diagnosed not with biceps tendon strain, but with rotator cuff tendonitis. It's been a problem for about a month and a half. I'm getting PT for it presently (just started, so we'll see where it goes). I would have them check to see if it's your rotator cuff.

I had the same thing happen to me. I know I strained my biceps tendon but physical therapist said it was rotator cuff. That happened 10 years ago. It took 3 months or so to heal. I still feel it during changes in atmospheric pressure.
Good luck with your PT.
Lorrayne

My symptoms sound a lot lilke yours. But, it's my rotator cuff. I know it's not my biceps because exercises that recruit my rear delts or lats can trigger pain and range of motion loss. I'm safe if I stick with biceps or triceps exercises (except for overhead triceps presses since it recruits my shoulders). I still have to be careful with my form when I work biceps and triceps. My shoulders have a tendency to take over. And body weight exercises like push-ups can stress out my shoulders. Pull-ups and chin-ups are out of the picture until I heal.

Do you think that's what is happening... With your weakened biceps, your shoulders are taking over more?

Anyhow, I've been doing a combination of things. I've found that daily yoga after a short amount of cardio and getting a massage weekly have helped the most. Eoin Finn has an awesome shoulder premix on his latest Power Yoga For Happiness 2 dvd.

Best

Maybe try another Dr for a 2nd opinion? S/he seems to be stuck on the original diagnosis. Doctors can be wrong, some will admit it and some won't. I'd try a 2nd opinion. I've been to Dr's before (for me knee) who admitted they weren't sure what the problem was because the pain wouldn't go away (ended up being a few things) and referred me to another Dr who diagnosed multiple issues and got me straightened out.
I have all sorts of respect for people who can admit they don't know and point me in the right direction, and very little for people who can't admit they don't know or are wrong, esp when its at someone else's expense.

Nan

Thanks for all the input. That really helps. My PT said she thought my pain presented more like a rotator cuff injury than a biceps tendon issue. Plus, I can do bicep and tricep work at higher weight loads now than I did before with no problems. However, I have to be super careful with form when doing chest and back work to make sure I don't start recruiting my shoulders (pullovers, flys, presses) - I feel it immediatley otherwise. And everything that uses body weight has been a struggle since this started too - even pushups on my knees can aggravate it.

Now I know it's not all in my head, I'm heading back to another doc. Pain is NOT NORMAL.

Thanks so much!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.