BFL for Thu Feb 07th 2008

Amelia – Great run with iTread 13! It’s one of my favorites.

Belinda – A nice easy going day isn’t so bad. ;) LOL, I used to do the iTri workouts (treadmill/elliptical/bike) at the gym and you should have seen the look on peoples faces when I kept swapping out equipment (he,he). But guess what? Pretty soon they were doing the same thing, lol.

Heidi – Argh, car problems are the worst! We had three accidents (two with some damage and a third with minor damage) all within 3 months. One wasn’t DH’s fault but the other two were our faults (mine was the minor one, lol). Anyway, we just got the car back a couple of weeks ago after it had been in the shop for a month, grrrrrr. We’re taking a deep breath and hoping that’s all past now and we can go another 26 years without any troubles, lol.

Michelle – You’ve hit it perfectly or should I say imperfectly. There really is no “perfect” because it’s too hard to maintain.

Gayle – here’s my perspective (you may be sorry you asked, lol). I think that being too restrictive in eating leads to blow outs. Being black and white with no gray area is dangerous because you start thinking “I blew it, might as well eat” where as that really isn’t true. You can ALWAYS make the next meal or snack better and you don’t need to “start over” constantly. Life is continuous and pitfalls are inevitable.

I’m coming from a different perspective. Now please don’t take this as me “bragging” because I’m not that type. But I was really lean for about 4 years (lived at about 15% bodyfat). I got there using Leanness Lifestyle and it changed my life. I didn’t have a hard time maintaining it because it felt SO good. But accidents happen and I fell and tore my ACL and meniscus playing volleyball and had to have surgery. The surgery went well but the recovery was LONG. I was so consumed by getting my strength back that I lost focus on my eating. I was left with this noodle for a leg (atrophy is a b#tch when you’re on crutches and in a full leg brace for a month). It took months of physical therapy and learning to run again to get back to where I am today (which is still far from where I was).

I “woke” up a few months ago 10 lbs. heavier than I’ve been since I was 40 yrs. old. My motivation is simple, I’m getting back what I lost. I’m going to give a link to my full picture trail (just as proof that I’m not talking BS here, lol). It’s in no way meant to be taken as me tootin’ okay….I just want you all to know where I’m coming from. I feel comfortable enough with you all now to do this….

http://www.picturetrail.com/gallery/view?username=kathyg4

Kathy

P.S. I hope this isn’t offensive in any way, it’s not meant to be. I’m a straight shootin kind of gal, lol. Tell me off, I’m not easily offended (ha,ha).

Okay, I did itrain Set 24 - Armed and Dangerous - 46 minutes Intervals - Equipment needed - Db's, Body Bar, Bench (or floor) and Magic Circle (if available)

Kathy, I hope you don't mind I copied your format!

Walk/ Jog/ Run
(0:00 - 4:00) 3.4-3.5/ 5.5-5.6/ 6.5-6.6

(4:00) 3.6-3.7/ 5.6-5.8/ 6.7-6.8

(5:30) Interval-Get off TM - 3# db's Chest Press/Boxing Punches with high march

(9:45) 3.6-4.0/ 6.0/ 7.0

(10:45) 2% Grade 4.2/ 6.2/ 7.2

(16:40) Interval-Get off TM - 3 or 5# db's - Both in one hand for One Arm Rows

(20:30) 3.8-4.0/ 5.8-6.0/ 6.8-7.2 go up 1 or 2 points after 1 minute

(26:15) Interval-Bench or Floor for dips (30) then Tricep Pushups

(29:30) 43-45/ 6.5/ 7.5

(34:15) Walk on TM for 1 minute

(35:15) Interval-Body Bar - Shoulder press 1 minute

(36:15) Walk on TM to recover

(37:15) Interval-Body Bar or db's - Bicep curls w/ March

(38:50) 4.0-4.5/ 6.0-6.5 7.0-7.5

(39:50) Go up 1 or 2 points

(41:45-46:00) Cool Down!

Off to do Core Max!

Kathy,

You look GREAT! You should feel proud of all that you have accomplished! And you don't look like you are over 40!

Congratulations on your hard work!

Hi girls,

Just a quick check in! I just finsihed for the first time The Terminator “Imax Xtreme”. I am wiped! I have The Terminator for a year collecting dust! That is on tough workout! LOL! I will work my abs and than shower! BBL!

Belinda

Gayle - I've read your post a couple of times and it really makes me think. The motivation part especially. There have been several times in my life when I've met that "goal", was finally satisfied with where I was, only to get complacent and have to set another "goal". To be quite honest, I'm afraid to meet my goal, whatever that may be. That's the fear for me. I do not fear the scale, okay maybe sometimes ;-) , I fear getting "there". It's so much easier to settle than to struggle. I have to struggle every day to stay motivated. That picture of me in a bikini is the biggest motivator for me. In my mind, THAT IS NOT ME, I DON'T LOOK LIKE THAT! But really it is and that is hard to face. But I did that to myself, by settling. And settling isn't good enough anymore. I look at that pic every day to remind myself of where I DON'T want to be.

Maybe this is a vicious circle for me. Maybe I'll spend the rest of my life getting "there" over and over again. I'm not sure yet what that magic motivator for me is. But, man, I hope it comes along at some point in my life!!!

Did I get off track, here? If so, sorry ladies. I kind of got carried away!!!:p

Hi Gayle -

(Writing from airport terminal where I am delayed 4 hrs....well, hopefully only 4 hrs :) )

I think you raise a really good question. I also completely relate with Melissa when she talks about being scared of getting "there." Cause then where's the motivation? I don't think I could really get myself fired up to "stay the same." I have been thinking a lot about that lately - what will my next challenge be once I've finished these 12 weeks and met my body composition and weight goals?

I've decided that for me the key will be to find a sport to play -- maybe take up martial arts again (which I did in high school) or try to find an older ladies' soccer club. I'd like to have real athletic goals to shoot for, rather than just trying to look a certain way. I think that I could link my BFL workouts and lifestyle o sports by seeing them as a way of staying in top condition.

You are already doing that, Gayle - with your awesome racing career!

I definitely think that any eating plan that is unsustainable/takes lots of time/consistently makes me feel deprived - is bound to cause binging or cheating in the long run. So I choose to look at it like this: I eat 6 small BFL meals a day. Except for that 10% of the time when I don't. After all - it's what I do 90% of the time that will determine my physique. Not that 10% when I slip a little.

Well -- those are just my 2cents on motivation and food!!

Have a wonderful day everyone!

Christina

Kathy-thank you for your words as well. And please NEVER worry about offending me. It takes an awful LOT to offend this gal! And thank you for simply sharing your story and putting yourself out there. We all have a story, don’t we? Sometimes it just gets buried under all the day-to-day struggles, and it’s good to remember it loud and clear! THANK YOU!

Melissa-that has always been my struggle as well. Getting ‘there’, then trying to STAY THERE! But I will conquer this cycle. I will figure out what works and CONTINUES to work for me. Thank you also!

Christina-that’s a great idea, to link your progress goals with a sport. And the BFL eating plan is perfect and VERY doable, especially when you consider that 90/10 rule (or even 80/20 that others do). For me, the problem is simply mind over matter. There are times that I eat, and I’m not even hungry. I’m eating for whatever reason, that even I don’t understand. So it’s not the BFL eating guidelines that’s the problem, it’s ME! And I’ve realized that. Thank you, also!

Belinda-how ya feelin’, girl? lol

Stephanie-thanks for that iTread breakdown. Looks good. I may have to try it sometime!

I’m in a better place, mentally, today. I’m focused and my goal today is SIMPLE. Get thru the mid-afternoon 3pm time block where I keep tripping myself up! Here are my planned meals for today:

M1: Myoplex Lite Shake (done)
M2: Italian Dinner Soup (done)
M3: 4 small protein pancakes (done)
M4: turkey wrap in low carb wrap, ‘fried’ cabbage
M5: Italian Dinner Soup
M6: string cheese and apple

It’s all PROGRESS, NOT PERFECTION, right?

[font color-red]YOU ALL ROCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!![/font]

Gayle

Oh hey - another thought about eating - I think we sometimes have a tendency to eat too few calories. It's like that old 1200-1400 calorie a day dieting mentality kicks in....but hard working girls need WAY more calories than that. So maybe we feel snacky during the day cause we actually need more food! I definitely can't go below 1600 and that is an absolute low end for me. I am happier at 1800-2100. And I can still lose fat/weight on that if I am lifting!

Gayle, I know what you mean about that 3 PM snacking time...that's when I have trouble too:) ! I'm fine if I make it to 6 PM - I'm not that hungry at night. But mid-afternoon is another story!

Actually that would be a cool thread - ideas for getting past the afternoon munchies! Like doing 20 min of cardio.....Drinking a bunch of water...a good old British cup of tea....what else?

So far my flight is delayed 6 hours and counting!

-Christina

Christina - did I read that you are coming to Boston?

If so, that makes sense. I am about 30 minutes north of Boston and the weather is pretty crummy today.

I hope you get in the air soon!

Christina-I hope you DO get to Boston today/tonight before the flight is completely cancelled! Imagine! And I agree with you. There is NO WAY I could function on so few calories.

BF and I were just talking about my recent 'indiscretions' last night and he was saying that I'm lucky and unlucky about my metabolism all at once. My body responds incredibly to sudden changes. Meaning, these recent slips cause me to gain and retain water weight like you would NOT believe, yet as soon as I get a few solid straight days of responsible eating under my belt, the weight comes off just as quickly.

Well, it's 3:20 and so far so good. I've made a list of things to do when the tough times hit. So far here's what I've done this afternoon since the bus came:
*replaced batteries in all my smoke detectors
*downloaded all digital pics from camera to PC
*read 4 chapters in my book
*prepped kids' dinner
*scheduled a few appointments.

GEE! Distracting myself is actually getting things done around here! lol

Gayle

Hey Melissa -

Yep - I'm headed your way! At least, I think I am :) !

Right now I'm scheduled to get into Logan at midnight - oh boy! And I've had to cancel out on seeing the Alvin Ailey dance troupe with my aunt tonight - bummer cause I'm sure their gorgeous athleticism would have been super-motivating!

Oh well. I'll probably have dinner with family (in Holbrook) tomorrow and then we're going to the Fine Arts museum on Saturday. I figured as long as I was in Boston, I might as well have some fun as well as work!

What part of MA do you live in?

Stay warm :)!

-Christina

I hope you get here eventually Christina. And more important, safely! That stinks about having to cancel your plans.

I live in North Eastern MA. Right on the NH border.

Enjoy the Museum on Saturday!

Hey everyone,
The posts today have really made me think. Fear holds many people back and it’s amazing how much of this is mental. For me, not achieving scares me more. I’m afraid of failure. But yet, I totally understand the fear of reaching goal. It’s like this mountain and when you reach the top….then what? The then what is you get to enjoy going clothes shopping because everything fits and you don’t wince when you look in a 3 way mirror, lol. I think that was the big thing for me, seeing in the mirror the way that I felt in my mind.

I was thin my entire life until I hit about 35 yrs. of age (I weighed 100-105 lbs. when I got married). I ate everything in sight and never gained weight. I remember thinking “man, I’d love to have a little meat on me”, lol. Then I got my wish mid-life, with a vengeance (ha,ha!)

I faced reality (that I had gained 10 lbs. of fat since my injury) this winter and decided that’s enough. I’m not going to let this 10 lbs. grow into 15 or more…I’m going to take action NOW. I was in the grocery store and picked up a 10 lb. bag of sugar and thought “man, Kathy….just think how much easier running will be if you drop this weight.” :)

I’ve got the opposite type of body Gayle….it takes A LOT for me to gain weight but I lose just as slowly. I’ve been like you girls taking my calories down only a little (I eat about 1800+ calories a day) and I’m losing a whole lot slower than I would at 1400 calories but I don’t want to do that again. I’d rather be happy than hungry.

Christina – I hope you make it to your destination safely! Enjoy your time with family. :)

Thanks Stephanie, I appreciate you comment. ;)

Kathy

Hello just checking in....

At home after work and the run around picking up kids. Waiting now to pick up DH and DD. He's at work and she is at the docs.

I can't wait to get to my run! My headache is killing me. I don't understand why this is happening so much. I am by no means dehydrated so that can't be it. Maybe it is time for an eye exam. Haven't had one in awhile and I am the same age as Kathy.

Gayle: You are so inspiring. Don't worry about not getting in a workout if your body seriously needs a recovery period. You have been doing a lot of workouts and racing at the same time. I am afraid for you and your shins. This is how I got myself into trouble a few years back. Way...too many races and hard running. Kathy and I agree on this fact. Give yourself a break!

I had a terrible time with healing from a tibia break. It took a year and 1/2 to get back to running again. Like Kathy...this stunk big time and I wouldn't want to see you make the same mistake. :)

Speaking of injuries: I am in awe of Brenda! She recovered from her hip injury super fast. I just can't believe she is back to do STS with the team. Fantastic!!!

Hey Christina! It is still snowing here in MA. I hope you have a good flight and that you get here before 2am! Have a safe trip. Will be thinking of you during your meeting. :)

I too am in the NE. Cape Ann area to be exact. Hello neighbor: Melissa

Stay healthy and enjoy the rest of the day. BBL Heidi

:7

Thanks all for the warm welcome :D

Amelia ~ iTread 13/30 is AWESOME…it is one of my favorites.

Sherry ~ Glad you are feeling better.

Gayle ~ iTread 19/30 is another one of my favs. I have the iTrain 1 year resolution package, which reminds me that I have to download some new workouts. I love what Michelle had to say, I couldn’t add anything to it.

Michelle ~ Oops…I’ve been forgetting to add my ab work in. Thanks for the reminder!

Christina ~ Today’s a new day ;)

Stephanie ~ Nice to see another newbie!

Melissa ~ Nice eats! Have fun with your HIIT workout…

Kathy ~ Glad I’m not the only one askeered of working out less. Yes, change IS good and hopefully it will shock the body.

Heidi ~ You had a busy day today, hope you can find some chillaxin’ time tonight.

Wow! You are a chatty bunch! I’m off to spin class, see ya tomorrow!

Hi Tammy,

Enjoy your spin class!

Chill time will be on the treadmill doing iTread Set 21 30min and then add in 26.

BBL Heidi

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.