Best Shoes?

GMonkey

Cathlete
I'm getting into the habit of purchasing new athletic shoes every 6 months. I figure that it's worth it to prevent injury further on. I'd love to hear suggestions for good shoes to wear while doing Cathe's workouts. Even though I don't run, I tend to find running shoes to be the most comfortable. My toes are short and the ball of my foot is wide, my arches are very high, and my heels are very narrow. Lately, I've been having pain in my left knee, so I'm going to do some more LI and weight rotations.

Also, I'm going to school to be a radiographic tech, and my clinicals will be starting soon, so I'm looking for an additional pair of white athletic shoes to wear for clinicals. I wear Danskos for my job as a hair stylist, but the hospitals in Philly forbid students from wearing them in clinicals, and insist on all-white athletic shoes. Any nurses or other healthcare workers with any suggestions?

Thanks!

Not a nurse, nor a healthcare worker, but re: athletic shoes for your workouts, it may be a good idea to go to a store where they will analyze your gait and suggest shoes for your needs. Aside from that, l love Ryka studio shoes for my DVD workouts, and I like the ankle support. For running, I have NB and just got a pair of Asics as per suggestion from the athletic shoe store I was at.

I wear Rykas aerobic shoes (mid top) for step and especially hi impact workouts. For running and walking I wear primarily Asics. I also have Ryka, Asic and Nike court shoes (yes, I have too many :D!). I think it's a good idea to go to a running store or other specialty shoe store to have them help you get the right shoe for your arch height, etc. It makes all the difference in your workouts!

Ryka mid top for Step and Hi/Lo workouts.
New Balance for elliptical and weight training.

Well, I've messed up my knees so badly that I can barely walk. I have tendon/ligament issues from wearing running shoes while doing step. I know, big dummy thing to do, but no other shoes really felt comfortable when trying them on.

So, I ended up getting these today so that I'll have better stability when I get back to working out. I'm just going to take a week off, then have a week of light walks, and then gradually add in the other work outs.

FF_IA65854.JPG

These are really comfy and have good lateral stability while giving me the heel cushioning I like from running shoes. It seems like they will work well when I start clinicals, too.

Help!

FF_IA65854.JPG

These are really comfy and have good lateral stability while giving me the heel cushioning I like from running shoes. It seems like they will work well when I start clinicals, too.

They look good but what are they called? I have problems with my right foot and really need good cushioning. (Also creaky knees from years of running, but the foot is my main problem.)

Thanks!

Nike
Women's Reax CR

I haven't actually worked out in them, but when I tried them on and hobbled around in the store, my knees actually felt better.

This kind of makes me wonder how those "instability" shoes are on people's knees, like those Reebok ones?

I'm back to my desk job but over the summer/fall I was a 'regular' pharmacist. That involves standing and walking all day long. I was really worried about that part since I have recurrent plantar fascitis and I'm not a lightweight. My personal preference is for a wider toe box and narrower heel and LOTS of cushion. (got those freakin' bunions too)

On the advice of the Lady Foot Locker salesperson I bought Saucony. Fantastic!! Mine were black but they come in all kinds of colors. I've since switched from Ryka (which I always used to love but just can't stand the new designs) to Saucony for my workouts. I wish I could find something with better lateral support but these have been the best I've found recently.

I've been doing a lot of returns with Zappos lately :p

For me, Ryka is the best shoe ever! I have worn Reeboks (for about a minute - the arches were way too high for my feet), Nike (some are okay), and Avia, but Ryka has been the best! I usually just wear a cross-trainer since I don't want to have to be changing shoes mid workout as I do step-hi-lo and weights in one workout sometimes, plus I don't want 2 or 3 pairs of shoes laying around!

I tried the Ryka, and the only ones they had at the store were the various Kelly Ripa ones. The Ryka cross-trainer was my second choice. It was really nice and light and felt supportive. If my knees weren't in such rotten shape recently, I probably would have gone with those, but I thought that I'd go with the most stable feeling ones, which were the Nike.

I'm actually going to the doc today to see what's up with my knee since it's not getting any better, even with 5 days of rest, icing, compression, and elevation.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.