belly pooch

cdanko

I am 45 years old and have two children ages 21 and 19. They were both born by ceasarean section with the incision running from my belly button down. I work out hard at least 6 days a week for at least 1.5 hours and have been for twenty some years - a little of everything - running, spin, step, floor aerobics, weight training, etc. This is my question - my stomach has a pooch that is driving me nuts. I eat clean most of the time but like everyone fall off every so often. What foods are the worse for this? My fall off foods are usually pretzels, fat free/sugar free ice cream. Doctor said it was because of my sections and my stomach muscles deteriorate more as I get older (pshft). Thanks for any input.

I am 45 years old and have two children ages 21 and 19. They were both born by ceasarean section with the incision running from my belly button down. I work out hard at least 6 days a week for at least 1.5 hours and have been for twenty some years - a little of everything - running, spin, step, floor aerobics, weight training, etc. This is my question - my stomach has a pooch that is driving me nuts. I eat clean most of the time but like everyone fall off every so often. What foods are the worse for this? My fall off foods are usually pretzels, fat free/sugar free ice cream. Doctor said it was because of my sections and my stomach muscles deteriorate more as I get older (pshft). Thanks for any input.

I don't know if this would help or if you have access to one, but perhaps a Physical Therapist who specializes in Women's Health could assess your abs,etc. I have been seeing a PT for my dysfunctional pelvic floor and learned my low abs are weak after two vaginal deliveries. She said she wishes OB's would send post-op c-section ladies to her for at least one visit - just so she can assess and determine if PT is necessary.

Just a thought. Good luck. :)

Hi,

I read your post earlier today and didn't reply. I have thought about your post several times as I went about my day. I too, had two c-sections which leave an undesirable scar and an extra line for pooches. I also had my appendix removed as a small child which left me with a second undesirable scar and line for pooches. :( My stomach is not a pretty sight, to say the least. BUT, I just feel that we at Cathe are probably some of the fittest people around and the most knowledable in terms of health, eating well, and exercise. I struggle with my pooch, but really the rest of my body is pretty darn good (if I do say so myself), firm, strong, fit...BUT my pooch is still there. I thought about it and you know what... I think that pooch was there before my girls were born and now I can look at it and see it as a badge of honor :D I hope you can too. We are more than a flat belly. Life is more than a flat belly. Some of us were just not born with the body that will ever have a flat belly.

I am not being mean at all in my post or towards your concern for your pooch. I just wish we women could come to grips with our individual beauty and not the society beauty we see all around us.

Sincerely,

Wonderful post.
I had a natural birth, I'm the fittest I have ever been and I still have loose skin which makes a little pooch. I'm working on loving it as a badge of honour as I think its here to stay.

Thanks for the advice. You are right, I am so proud of my kids and wouldn't trade them for vanity. I am, all in all, in darn good shape too and thankful that I can work out with Cathe and all of you. I read the forums everyday to see what everyone is up to and take some knowledge too. Thanks again.

Boy, what a great idea..sending a woman to a pt to evaluate her. Imagine how great that would be!

Yep. My PT made an excellent point - a c-section is not a minor surgery. A physician would never send someone home without PT after knee surgery, shoulder surgery, etc. So why are women sent home after a c-section without a PT consult?

I thought my abs were strong, but I was mistaken about the low abs. I was using accessory muscles :). I am sure this isn't the case for most women here, but there maybe someone here like me. In PT, I've learned I lost the mind/body connection with my abs and other muscles. :(

I agree the pooch may just be part of who your are, I'll never have a flat stomach. I was thinking more about your doc's comment about your ab muscles.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.