Bean Banquets and other healthful yummies( yes HB'S teasers too!)

Deb D

Hey Ladies and Gents,
I know you all have to be downing some serious chow out there to maintain your Cathe curves. So, here is a place we can become inspired, share your own recipes, or just drool all over your keyboards as you read about the many concoctions we call sustanance. Lets give it a go!

Legumely Yours,
Deb d

p.s. I'm looking for bean cuisine cuz they are lean, clean, and cheap!

Oh Debra?

Yes, sorry, that is indeed a pestil and mortor. My grandmother called it a ( phonetically now using short e sound ) a mor-r-r-rcahete. I inherited it and boy, if that thing could talk the stories it would tell!

The world's best bean soup

<center><font size="1" color="#ff0000">LAST EDITED ON Aug-06-00 AT 07:06PM (EST)</font></center>

happy.gif
Good Old Oklahoma Beans
happy.gif

Soak 2 lbs. dry navy beans and 2 lbs. dry pinto beans overnight, then rinse and draine. Put in a LARGE stock pot and cover with water a few inches higher than the beans. Add two large, peeled onions, and about 3 lbs. of chopped ham (more if you like). Bring to a boil, and lower the heat and simmer for at least 4 hours until the beans are done, then salt and pepper to taste.

Serve with CORNBREAD!!!!!

This is the best!!!!
happy.gif
...and simple!!
happy.gif

Black Bean Lasagna

This recipe came from a friend and it is a real crowd pleaser, even kids like it!

You'll need:
1-15oz can black beans
1-28oz can diced tomatoes
10 lasagna noodles
1/2 bell pepper, seeded and chopped
1/2 large onion, peeled and chopped
1/2 cup salsa
1 tsp. chili powder
1/2 tsp. cumin
1/2 tsp. garlic powder
1 egg
15 oz. light ricotta cheese
8 oz. finely shredded cheddar cheese

Spray a large (13x9 or bigger) pan with non-stick spray. Mash beans then add tomatoes, onion, grn pepper, salsa, chili powder and cumin. In small bowl mix ricotta, garlic powder and egg. Spread 1 cup tomato mixture on bottom of pan. Top with half of the noodles, half of remaining tomato mixture. Then spread all of ricotta mixture on top of tomato mixture, then sprinkle with half of cheddar cheese. Top with remaining noodles, then remaining tomato mixture, then sprinkle with remaining cheddar. Cover with spray-covered foil. Bate at 350 for 45 minutes. Let stand for 15 minutes before cutting.

8 servings: 282 calories each (116 from fat)

This even tastes better the next day - YUM!!!

Enjoy

Joanna

Grilled Salmon on a bed of Green Lentils

This is yummy and easy. I make the lentils ahead of time or the day before so I can better man the grill...hate dried out salmon! Enjoy!

The lentils

serves 6
1 tsp. olive oil
1 cup diced onion
2 tab chopped garlic
2 cups diced carrot
4 cups dried green lentil ( brown will do if you cant find Le Puy lentils)
2 sprigs fresh thyme or 1 tsp dried
1 bay leaf
1/8 tsp ground cloves
s&p to taste

Heat oil in large skillet over med. heat. Add onion and garlic, saute until tender. Add carrot,and cont. to cook, until slightly carmalized.

Add the lentils, thyme, bay leaf, and cloves with 1 inch of water. Reduce heat and simmer for 15 to 20 mins., until tender. Add more water as needed.

Remove from the heat. Season with s&P
Can be served immediately under salmon or kept in fridge until need, heated again with a bit of water.

The Grilled Salmon

serves 4
1 salmon fillet- 1 1/2 to 1 3/4 pounds, skinned and boned.
2 cloves garlic,smashed
2 tab. honey
1 tab. soy sauce
1/8 tsp. crushed pepper flakes

Prepare your grill. Meanwhile, rinse the salmon and pat dry. Rub with garlic on all sides. Place in a glass dish.

Whsik honey, soy sauce, and pepper flakes. Pour over the fish and turn to coat evenly on both sides. Marinate for 15 mins. at room temp., most of the marinade should be absorbed by the fish.

Remove the fish from the maridade and place in a basket. Grill for 4-5 mins. per side. The salmon can also be grilled under a broiler, about 3-4 inches from the heat on a sheet of foil. When its time to flip fish, place another sheet of foil over it and turn it over. Serve over warm lentlils. Good ol omegas, good protein, and low glycemic carbs in the lentils--not to mention all that FIBER! And darn yummy too!

bringing this yummy topic back!

Barnes and Nobles was on my side when they put two yummy cookbooks on sale for 5 bucks yesterday, and lo and behold, I was actually out shopping. What luck :)
I just made and ate this one, and thought of this thread from oh so long ago. I really liked this, and hope you all will, too!
RED AND WHITE BEAN SALAD
1. 1 1/2 cups cooked or canned, rinsed small white beans ( I used a can of great northern, the whole can)
2. 1/2 cup roasted red bell pepper slices (I roasted one pepper to come up with the 1/2 cup, but you can also use the jarred kind)
3. 1/3 cup chopped, fresh parsley (yum)
4. 1/4 cup chopped red onion (I used white, no red in the house)
5. 1 tablespoon olive oil
6. 1 tablespoon veg. oil
7. 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
8. 2 teaspoons cider vinegar
9. 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
10. 1/2 clove garlic, minced (that's crazy--1 whole clove, minimum!!!)
11. 1 1/2 cup cooked or canned, rinsed red or kidney beans ( I used a can of red beans)
12. 1 cup chopped celery

In a large bowl, combine #'s 1, 2, 3, and 4. In a small bowl, combine 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, and 10. Pour that over the stuff in the large bowl. then add 11 and 12. (It's a long story why these last two are listed at the end--you can just put 1-4 AND 11 and 12 in the bowl, and then add the dressing! Sorry for the confusion!!)
Hope you enjoy!!
Wendy

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.