Ball workouts: Stott's Core Balance

Debra L

Cathlete
I recently purchased 2 of Moira Stott's stability ball workouts, Core Balance 1 & 2. There are 4 in the series. While these are pilates workouts, some may like these workouts to lead up to the IS stability ball work. The instruction is quite detailed, & the movements are slow & controlled which makes them easier to master.

I've done pilates matwork for several years and Stott's workouts are the closest one can get to a live class with an experienced instructor. Moira Stott does the workouts with PJ O'Clair. One instructs while the other demonstrates & they switch half-way through. The setting is studio like & warmer than older Stott videos. I do have to warn people that Stott's voice is a bit strident & because she gives a lot of information, it might irritate those that can't filter. PJ has a wonderful voice. The music is low-key new age stuff.

Core Balance 1 is matwork exercises using the ball. I think someone who has done some matwork & is ready for more challenge or just something different would like this workout. Some movements were easier than the floor version, but most were a bit tougher.

Core Balance 2 uses the ball as a substitute for the reformer apparatus. The workout includes movements similar to the PLB floorwork & the PUB ab work. While it doesn't include the full pike, it does have some variations of the plank work for those seeking something to build on. Some of the exercises done seated on the ball are a real balance challenge!

Debra

Thank you Debra! I love Stott's newer matwork series and I've been eyeing these. Now they've officially made it onto my "must have" list. --Karen

How long is each video?

Do they focus on core only or does it include the whole body?

I've been looking into Pilates type stuff for the lower body. I took out lower body weights while doing my running. I feel like my legs could handle more, but not the heavy weights. My knees couldn't handle the running AND squatting too.

Andrea

Core 1 is about 50 minutes including a 10 minute warm-up. Core 2 is about 40 minutes including a 10 minute warm-up. I like the warm-up because it's similar to my live classes which don't just launch into the 100.

Core 1: very little leg work except for the hamstrings; some shoulders & arm (not enough to replace resistance work).

Core 2: (only done this once) more leg work with a lot of hamstring work; some shoulder & arms (but again not enough to replace resistance work).

You might check into Winsor Pilates lower body workout. I know what you mean about finding the right level of resistance work for the legs when running or cycling. I often do Cathe's workouts with body weight or very light weight. I'd hoped the Core Balance workouts would have more leg work (guess that's why it's called CORE Balance). I actually pulled out Voight's GWW this week for the floor work. It has the isolation work I want but it's 30 minutes (lots of reps).

Debra

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.