Balance Bars

Yinka

I recently tried a Balance bar for the first time. I was pleasantly surprised with the taste, but about 15 minutes after I ate it, I began to feel nauseous. Has anyone else had this problem? Does anyone know what might have caused it? I was thinking that maybe all those vitamins were more than my vitamin-deprived body could stand in one sitting.:)

I eat those things all the time, but I've never experienced any illness from them. Maybe you were allergic to something in the bar?

drink water with the bar

On the side of the package there's a little note that suggests that you drink a full glass of water with the bar. I have never felt nauseous after eating a bar but have felt that way when taking my vitamins on an empty stomach... You might want to try the water and see if this helps.

Lydia L

Too much protein and iron! Maybe lactose?

Yinka,

I have had the same problem with any sports bars because they have so much protein and iron in them they can make me nauseous... probably because I'm OBVIOUSLY eating them on an empty stomach!

I found that if I just nibble a little at a time and drink lots of fluids I tolerate them much better-- for example, you might just cut the bar in half (try scissors instead of a knife!) and eat only half between meals.

I have lately moved onto protein shakes because I can use a little more milk, little less powder and don't get any nausea at all. I think the milk has a bit of a buffering effect.

The other thought I had is have you ever considered that you might be lactose-intolerant? Some of these sports bars have whey and lactose can come with it -- check the wrapper and see if it says it's low in lactose or lactose-free, just to rule this out.

Good luck!

Dawn P.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.