Baked Sweet Potato--Toppings?

Yep, cinnamon is a must & sometimes I Can't Believe It's not butter spray (ok, not super *clean* but only a few squirts!). I used to add splenda but find I don't need it anymore! Also, pumpkin pie spice or nutmeg is good on them! My dh of course has to have real butter & brown sugar on his! :eek:

Mmmmm...pumpkin pie spice sounds marvelous!!!

All of these ideas sound good actually. Thank you ladies!! Looks like I may be making a sweet potato run tonight after work! The only way I have really eaten sweet potatoes is prepared the Thanksgiving way...tons of butter, brown sugar and (x() marshmellows. Not really a recipe that is made in "clean eating heaven".

:9

I eat them all of the time. Just had one for dinner last night! ;-) 2 of my kids love them as long as I put some brown sugar on theirs like Daddy! :p

Ya know...the sugar solution cookbook has a casserole with sweet potato and veggies that I am making this weekend. I will report back if its good (which I'm sure it will) but if you get a chance check the book out...lots of good healthy recipes in it. I thought it was a great idea to have a shepherds pie recipe with sweet potato. I DON'T love sweet potato in general so hopefully it will be more tolerable to me this way.

I buy the "Micro-tato" sweet potatos (they are shrink-wrapped and you just throw them in the microwave for 8 minutes). After it's nuked I take off the plastic and eat it plain. They always turn out perfectly cooked and are sweet enough to eat without any toppings. Yum!

I second the cottage cheese topping! I buy the low-fat or no-fat variety and just spoon it into the open potato. Love it!:9

How about french fries? I like to cut mine into french fry shape and toss with extra virgin olive oil and sprinkle generously with Tony Chatchery's Creole Seasoning. Layer on a baking sheet at 350 degrees until crispy.:9

If you don't have access to the creole seasoning, just some salt and pepper is good too.

Sandra

I've also put, believe it or not, black beans on them in the past. Talk about a tasty meal!!! :9 ;-)

For a change of pace I sometimes use blackened seasoning like Emeril's & other times butter buds with sweet & low,

Karen:7

I love Splenda and Cinnamon on top of mine!

Also, you can make yummy baked chips:

Beat together egg whites, splenda and cinnamon. Put in either a bowl or bag, mix/shake together with thin sliced sweet potatoes. Spray a metal rack with non-stick cooking spray and bake till kinda crunchy.

I always make these when I entertain. Good for a little carb/protein mix!

Wow, I've never tried hot seasonings with sweet potatoes. I'll have to try some of the suggestions here. I bet cottage cheese tasted great with it

I like plain sweet potatoes cooked and then refridgerated. For some reason they taste sweeter when cold.

Tracey M....can you tell me where you found "Micro-tato" sweet potatos? I would love something like this to bring to work.

One thing I really hate with my "regular" baked potatoes is cooking them the night before then trying to re-heat them. The texture to me is just not good. On the other hand, when I COOK regular potatoes in the microwave (takes about 5-6 minutes) they have the same texture to me as if they were baked.

I would be very interested in these Micro-tato sweet potatoes!

For kicks and grins I top mine off with a small piece of grilled chicken (or a tofu steak), non fat sour cream, and fresh salsa. Quick and tasty IMHO

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.