baby bottles and plastic

morris

Cathlete
hi everyone

thought i'd see if i could spark some ideas. i am sure everyne has seen the reports about the plastic baby bottles and nalgene bottles and toxicity. what will you all do for your babies. i will presumably only use breastmilk (as i did for ds) but b/c i work part time i have to pump and use a bottle at day care. we used playtex dropins before, but there is no number on them as far as 1,3,5,7, and i believe it is the 5's and 7's we need to stay away from. glass just seems expensive and not feasible. any thoughts?

I'll be using plastic bottles.
IMO, we have gone completely overboard in things that are "harmful" to babies. I'm just waiting for the report that says that too much oxygen is bad for them.

Kids have been using plastic bottles (and other things) for years and years, and have all grown up healthy and undamaged. I was strictly bottle fed with formula, and my mom used plastic bottles.
I turned out fine.

JMO!

Well, the fact that they have banned the use of bisphenol A in Canada has to tell you something. It would have to be pretty serious if they are pulling these types of bottles from the shelves.

I also plan on using plastic bottles. I had a really bad breast-feeding experience with my first son and didn't attempt it with my second and this time around, I think I'll do the bottle thing again. But I do plan on reading up on the bottles and finding out which ones are best. DH wants us to use the same ones we used with our other sons, but I've got concerns. I agree that everything now has become a safety issue. They now say the fragrance in babywash and shampoos can be dangerous. I love that fragrance.

You can buy bottles that are BPA free. I think Toys R Us and Babies R Us supply them as well as specialty baby stores. I haven't done much research, but I know they do have them. I used playtex drop-ins with my ds and he seems fine and he's going to be 9 this year. So I don't know. I also thought that it was dangerous when you either heated the plastic or used it until it was really old and worn. I could be mistaken.

I breastfeed, and my son won't touch a bottle, but I did buy him bisphenol free ones anyways because I myself can't stand the taste and effects of certain types of plastics. The odiri (looks like a human boob) is a good one. Medela has some bisphenol free ones as well.
Manmohini

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.