Athlete Body vs Bodybuilding?

pebblesus

Cathlete
Hi Cathe!

I don't know if you could answer this question/theory for me, or anyone else that is advanced in this area maybe could help me..

Im wondering..

If we want to build muscle mass and strength it is recommended that we train each part hard 1-3 times per week with ample recovery time inbetween yes? The harder we train the more rest is typically required?

So Im wondering about certain athletes.. Soccer players, for example, have, massive legs. I don't think they weight train heavy lower body to get that big IN ADDITION to playing the sport?

Gymnasts (female) are actually the perfect example.. These young girls wouls probably be average cheerleader size if they weren't into that and I don't think they lift massive weights in the gym 2 times a week.. they practice gymnastics EVERY DAY (ive heard of girls training for the olympics train 6 HOURS a DAY-- wow!)

Anyway, the point is that they all have thick, solid muscle mass.

So my question I guess is this:
Can strength and mass be obtained through some kind of daily training? Or, rather, maybe 4-5 days per week?

I read an article on the BB website that had a theory about training several days per week, only using fewer sets and whatnot (as pooosed to the increased sets, 2-3 days).
Their point was to keep the resistance consistant and ongoing to create a tolerace and build strength and endurance.... er.. they actually compared it to a callous -if you "aggrevate" the area consistantly then it will build tolerance.. (keep in mind that this was a men's muscle building article so it's not put eloquently put at all and often doesn't make much sense hee)

Nonetheless it got me thinking about the athletes (such as those I mentioned) that are huge and strong, but get that way mainly due to the sport they play and Im wondering if there is some kind of way to devise a training program that is different from the conventional "9-12 sets, 2 day a week?"

If I could do some kind of resistance training that isn't the conventional routine Ive been doing that would build strength and endurance I would be willing to try it for the change?

I thought it was interesting..

I don't know about soccer players or gymnasts, but when I swam competitively, we definitely spent time in the weight room (and that was in the late '70's!). I would think that these days most athletes are cross training and spending time with weights.

-Beth

My DD is a nationally ranked competitive swimmer and she weight trains. It's the only way she can maintain her ranking and prevent injuries as well. She weight trains at a competitive athlete's training facility (also runs, stretches etc) At that facility there are also professional football players, hockey players, college tennis and golf athletes, track athletes, volleyball players and probably other sports I just am not aware of as of now. So I believe that pretty much all competitive athletes cross train with weights nowadays. Hey even Tiger Woods uses weights. HTH /karen

I wrote the post wrong.. I know that athletes weight train.. but I was using the example of the gymnasts as they are big and bulky a lot like football players (which i wouldn't mind looking a little more like that).
I know football guys have been known to train like mad dogs in the gym, but I didn't thik female gymnasts train for 4 hours a day, 5 days a week with WEIGHTS (however, if they CAN do that and ALSO train a couple hours a day in gymnastics-- wouldn't that be overtraining? Even if it is I think Id be apt to try it ;)
To weight trian enough to look like that would be incredible! (believe me Ive been trying lol)
I can't envision a 15/16 year old girl doing massive presses in the gym all day.. so I was wondeirng how they get that big?

Hi

I don't know if gymnasts do any "formal" weight training, but if you look at what they do to practice getting better at their routines, they are doing a ton of strength building just by using their own body weight.. If you take for example the male gymnasts that do the rings, yikes, its a ton of upper body work. ( They make pull-ups look like a walk in the park.)

Their lower body probably gets muscular from all of the plyometric moves in their floor routines.. all of those jumps, rolls, etc.

I think the body type of a gymnast though is a bit different looking than somebody who only strength trains through standard gym type style weight training. To me, gymnasts have a leaner longer definition to their muscles, where fitness competitors and "gym rats" seem to have more pumped rounder looking muscles. (If that makes sense.)

Lynn M.

I would imagine that athletes weight train more specifically than we do. They have to train to compensate for weak areas, and do additional work for the muscle groups that are important to their sport. They probably also weight train around their injuries.

My daughter is a gymnast, and even though she's only 7, she has a well-defined upper body and no, she doesn't lift traditional weights. ;-) However, her training days are 2 1/2 hours long, 3 days a week. Her coach makes all the girls do many push-ups, sit-ups, pull-ups, V-ups, jogging, skipping, etc., before and after any gymnastics work begins. It's quite an intense sport and I'm amazed at what is expected of them. And quite honestly, that they can DO it! I really think the key to defining and shaping a body is consistency and patience (of which I can take a lesson from her!), no matter if you're an athlete or a bodybuilder. She rarely misses gymnastics but it took months before her little body started developing muscles.

HTH,
Terri

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.