ARGH - you said this would be easy!

letswork

Cathlete
I'll admit it, I'm really frustrated already by the Workout Manager and the extensive list of exercises. Lost is a good word to describe how I'm feeling.

I'm also confused by how we are going to lift a percent of our max if the number calculated is a weird number. For example, if the calculation says that we need to lift 22lbs to achieve a certain % goal...how are we to accomplish this? I mean, it's either 20lbs or 25lbs...as I don't have access to 22lb weights.

Ya know what I'm saying?

I am right there with you, but hopefully things will start workout out (ha ha no pun intended) here soon.

I was wondering the same thing about the weight issue, like one of mine says I will need to lift 11 lbs for an exercise, ummmm 11 huh? I know you can get little things to add to your weight to increase it a pound or too, but this could get expensive. We might be trying for exact sience here, but I am not so sure my wallet can keep up with the changes. :(

I'll admit it, I'm really frustrated already by the Workout Manager and the extensive list of exercises. Lost is a good word to describe how I'm feeling.

I'm also confused by how we are going to lift a percent of our max if the number calculated is a weird number. For example, if the calculation says that we need to lift 22lbs to achieve a certain % goal...how are we to accomplish this? I mean, it's either 20lbs or 25lbs...as I don't have access to 22lb weights.

Ya know what I'm saying?

Right now very few things are working correctly in the WM, so you really need to wait a few more weeks and let us first get everything up and running correctly. You also need to familiarize yourself with all of the sites features and with the site not working correctly yet it is understandably very hard to do.

There are only about 117 exercises in the 1RM calculator that concern STS. Since a typical endurance workout quite often has 20 to 30 exercises this really isn’t a large amount when you consider it is for 41 DVDs. You may choose to do a test for all or none of the exercises listed for the STS program, but I would suggest doing so for at least as many of the major and most important exercises as possible. Most people who lift weights have never done a 1RM test for any exercise in their entire life and you don’t have to either to do STS. You will just get better results if you do a 1RM test than if you don’t. This is also true for any workout as well as STS.

As for the “weird” numbers ( like 22 lb’s) you really have several choices:

#1 Just select a weight that is closest to what you have handy . The 1RM calculator does not produce a result that is 100% accurate; it’s just an approximate value.
#2 Purchase Plate Mates
#3 Purchase Weighted Gloves.

I think once we have everything up and running you will understand things a lot better. We also have video tutorials that we will release in a few weeks that will really help you and walk you through every step.

Thanks so much...your post was very reassuring. One last question...does Cathe mention the weights that she is using with each exercise during STS vids?

I just want to jump in here and say that I own pace weights (.5 pound increments that attach to your dumbbells) and they were a GREAT GREAT purchase -- I really really enjoy being able to go up just one or two pounds, and they allow me to do that. I highly recommend making the investment.

I just want to jump in here and say that I own pace weights (.5 pound increments that attach to your dumbbells) and they were a GREAT GREAT purchase -- I really really enjoy being able to go up just one or two pounds, and they allow me to do that. I highly recommend making the investment.

i LOVE LOVE LOVE my pace weights! i use them for just about every weight workout that i do now! it's much more effective trying to go up 1 or 2 or 2.5 or 3 etc pounds than 5 pounds!

And to add to that, I looked at that list and it IS over 100 and for some of them I didn't really know exactly what they were.

But I've been thinking about this all week and I go back and forth from 'this is ridiculous!' to 'I'm just going to wait and see what others do' to 'I'm going to do it now.'

Where I am now (I think) - I'm going to wait for the bugs to be sorted out and then I'm going to select the 'key' exercises for STS to keep it to less than 30 exercises. Given I've never done a 1RM test before, I think less than 30 is more manageable for me the first time through and I think that will still give me the benefits I'm looking for from STS.

Pace mates or plate mates or whatever they are called are nice but if you work out in a gym they are not too handy. I Just know if I can complete four sets of 10/12 reps of a given weight without having to drop back in weight I clearly need to go heavier.

Dumb question, when you put in your weight when using on the calcutator, say you're using dumbells and it's 20 in each hand, do you put 40 or 20?

I just purchased the pace weights - exactly what I needed and something I didn;t know existed. Very cool - I love this forum. So helpful, keeps me focused, get good ideas and I don;t feel so alone in my fitness pursuits. Thanks!!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.