Are you holding onto any letters, cards, etc. from past boyfriends?

BAM

Cathlete
I'm in the process of clearing out "stuff" in my house. It's been years in the making, lol, but I'm finally committing to getting it done. I've come across some recently old (within the past 5 years) cards, notes, etc. from an old boyfriend and have some older letters and cards from bf's from over 20 years ago. I'm not pining for any of them and am happy in a relationship now, but it was kinda cool to relive those memories. They're markings of a period of time in my life and it was nice to have memoirs of the past. I definitely will keep the much older items but what about the ones in the past 5 years? I honestly want to hold on to them just to recall moments of my life.

What do you think and are you saving old love letters from your past boyfriends?

Thanks!

Bam

I haven't kept anything. Although I have been married for 16 years. I get a chuckle when going though photos at my parent's house with old boyfriends in them. I will always remember them, but didn't need the clutter when I moved after I for married.

Nope, not me. I always got rid of everything. I have only kept the love letters from my husband, letters he wrote me while travelling or away from me, before we became a couple.

The others and their stuff are irrelevant because they are no longer in my life, and either I chose that to be so or they did.

I am not one to dwell on the past or attempt to live in it. I have enough memorabilia of my past, and the past of my husband, kids and family members, the latter being held collectively.

Clare

I don't have any (but I'm not sure if I even really had any to begin with!!!!), but I don't see anything wrong with saving them if they make you happy to read every so often! I think it's sweet. :)

I kept some letters from my high school BF for a few years after we broke up b/c he wrote some of the sweetest letters. But after I got married I think I found them in my parents attic or somewhere & I got rid of them. They really didn't have any meaning for me anymore and I wouldn't want my husband's feelings to get hurt if I had kept them and he found them.

I'd say if you want to hold onto your letters you should. I have mementos from my past that I'd never want to part with and if reading those old letters brings back happiness for you, you should hold on to them...tucked away in a private place for your eyes only.

Thanks everyone for your responses. I think I will hold onto them for awhile. They're not harming anyone and they do bring back nice memories from my past. I'm also finding old birthday cards and other things from friends, co-workers, etc. You can't hold onto everything and I've been doing some nice weeding but I feel like pleasant memories from the past can just make you feel good especially if you could use a boost every now and then. :)

Thanks again!
Bam

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.