Are you a fitness snob?

I have compassion for obese people.

No one wants to be fat. No one would choose to be fat.

I really believe that most obese people have a problem - physiological and/or psychological - that makes it harder than the average person to lose weight and maintain a healthy weight. And there are some that just don't know any other way to eat and they think exercise is just torturing yourself. I don't think it's right to judge them for their size - especially when you don't know what's contributed to their weight problems.

Erica

i just wanted to say i didn't mean to offend anybody. like i stated in my first post that i usually get to know a person first,obese or not. there are some ppl with legitamte medical conditions but the people i know just like the pity they get when they say the can't lose weight and don't even TRY. usually the ones who think i am naturally a size 9 and i don't work at it.

i understand there are alot of obese ppl that eat because of severe issues like depression. i been there with drinking and drugs, but at some point somebody has to take control of their life. nobody can change your life but you. and support and compassion can only go so far before they have to decide to make a change.

i just didn't want folks here to think i don't have understanding,compassion or that i judge ppl before i know them. b/c to judge somebody based on their weight was like ppl judging me as a drug addict(you know we were all homeless,dirty, theifs, horrible ppl, and not fit for society).

kassia

When they discover the center of the universe, a lot of people will be
disappointed to discover they are not it -- Bernard Bailey

No, you are not a horrible person. But overweight people are not horrible, either.

I understand not having sympathy for lazy people. Too many of my friends don't exercise. My concern is not for their looks, but their health. Unfortunately, being overweight, even a little, equals health problems.

I used to hate cardio because of past experiences. I was a skinny, sickly P.E. reject. The gym teacher yelled when I couldn't run a mile and loved to point out my "lack of physical strength."

Years later, I started stepping and became friends with the instructor. She became my hero and made me dream of becoming a teacher. One day, in the middle of class, she started demanding that all her inexperienced students move to the back. If we couldn't follow her, we would distract everyone else!

I avoided fitness classes for 10 years. But last spring, it suddenly hit me that all teachers start somewhere, and I decided to keep attending class no matter what. I explained to my new step instructor that I could only pick up harder moves if I stood up front, and she confessed that she had learned the same way!

Six months later, that same teacher convinced the boss to hire me. I teach step, double step, abs, hi/low, sculpting, and am working on kickboxing. In order to achieve my goal, I had to ignore the voices in my head saying I couldn't do it. My new teacher's attitude helped a lot, but no one did the work for me.

Many overweight people avoid the gym out of fear, not laziness. Some trainers and instructors talk down to them. They may be in the minority (I hope), but the impact of their statements is huge.

On the other hand, we all know people with plenty of confidence but no motivation. I admit to being irritated when someone calls my exercise habit an obession. (One hour of cardio per day is hardly excessive, unless I'm teaching, then it's my job!)

It all comes down to attitude. If someone stays away out of fear, it's up to us professionals to reassure them. By the same token, when I'm met with jealousy, I try to say a little prayer...most of the time.

>I think this is an interesting discussion. My issue with the
>topic is, I think it's wrong to make sweeping generalizations
>about people that you've arbitrarily grouped into a category
>based on their physical (or other) characteristics. It smacks
>of prejudice. (And not the interesting kind that leads to
>marriage with the dreamy Mr. Darcy, either.) ;-)
>
>And let's put this in perspective. We are fit because we are
>interested in health, looking good, physiology, etc. We've
>said many times that what makes this board so interesting is
>that sheer spectrum of ladies (and the few gents) who
>participate here. We have different lives, motivations,
>interests, families, professions, etc. But people who are just
>stopping by here and aren't really interested in fitness might
>paint us as a group of fanatics who are obsessed with arse
>size, boob placement, lacking in other interests, "dumb
>jockettes," etc.
>
>And that would be wrong, right?
>
>So let's not make assumptions about other folks that we
>wouldn't like them making about us.
>
>Just my .02.
>
>;-)
>
>Marie

VERY, VERY well said!!!:)

Get into nursing. I was probably somewhat "fitness snobbish" until I saw another world. Now I see the challenges they face and the health effects of their obesity.

Believe me..given the right conditions in life we could all end up overweight and "disgusting".

What makes it easier for all of us here is we are the select group that really latched on to fitness, most of us LOVE LOVE LOVE exercise and working out. We are a minority. But to be honest, there are many areas of expertise in life that I am extremely ignorant about because of my intense fitness interest..........for example I know NOTHING about politics. Fitness is a hobby that we latched on and took off running with. Now we forget what it was like before when we were struggling to develop the habit. Or, we have never been significantly underweight and do not know how it feels. I don't feel disgust when I look at extremely overweight people, I feel sympathy, only because I know how hard some activities of daily living must be for them. I don't know what they have faced in life that drove them to become so grossly overweight, so I cannot judge.

That is my two cents....:)

I did smell smoke for a bit though, Laura...LOL

>
>I know this will sound naive, but I honestly believe that if
>you dig down deep enough you will find that almost every human
>being is doing the best he/she can with the hand he/she was
>dealt.
>
>-Nancy

I agree 100%!!!

My parents were both quite overweight but certainly not from eating fast food!! They grew up in a meat, potatoes, and gravy age. Of course I wanted them to lose weight but food was not just about nutriton to them. My father's family revolves around food! Family celebrations alway include great high fat high taste food. It is easy to say that all overweight people should excercise and eat clean but sometimes a lifetime of habits and emotional connections to food complicate things. It is not as simple as "just eat less and excercise". It is sad to think that you cannot respect someone just because they have more fat than you think is appropriate.

Ok...

I really think what is needed is a little compassion here. Some of the people here have lost a lot of weight and I commend them. My daughter struggles with her weight, it is not easy. We all have our own cross to bear.

I find the we are superior comment in very poor taste.

Why can't we be less judgemental and more compassionate for eachother.

Being overweight is one component of a person, just as someone with an eating disorder.

My son has a physical condition and I pray people do not see him as just his physical condition, it's a problem but he is so much more.

Anyhow yes.. i find some of these posts very simplistic and holier than though.

Ok, here is my opinion.
Genetics have a big role into what you are.
But,I know some people that have went and had gastric bypass surgery because they couldn't loose weight.
Well they did.
Most of us love food. Me included.But, if you blame it all on genetics, or my parents were fat,so I am fat, then i have no compassion.
I hit 160 and looked at myself and said , I look like a fat cow. Do somthing!!!!! Get off your but and do something........
I know a big guy that used to eat 10 big mac's for lunch.Maybe his mom was fat.He weighed over 600 lbs.
He now had surgery and weighs 225.This was gluttony.
If you can loose it with surgery, you can do it on your own safely.
Not saying everyone is going to be model material.That is not even the reason to be thinner and healthy.
You should do it because you want to live a full life and not end up walking like a 100 yr old at 50.
Trust me I see it all the time.
Most of the obese people i know are very happy people, until they get sick.
Please, most obese people feel sorry for them selves, and eat because they are depressed because they are fat.
Get a shrink, support group,and take control of your life and health.
No one is going to do it for you.
If it medical, get help.
Weight watchers, something to just be healthy and not take 100 pills a day to survive.
Well this is my opinion and i am rambling.
Anne

No, I'm not a fitness snob. I exercise to be physically fit, not slim. I will never be slim. It's not in my makeup. I could be slimmer and have been 20 pounds less, but the struggle to keep that 20 pounds off was not worth the effort to me. My doctor says I'm in excellent health and in excellent shape and in fact I'm one of the healthiest people he knows. As my husband loves me no matter what - I see no reason to change what I do. And there is not a Cathe workout that I cannot do and do well.

My friends tend to come in all shapes and sizes, and from from different economic backgrounds. My dh's boss's wife is about 100 pounds overweight. She's involved in so many worthwhile charities and has made such a difference in this world, that I would never think to judge her as "less" than I am because I'm in better physical condition. In fact I'm in awe of her dedication to others. She's also one of the most energetic people I know and the world is a much better place because she's in it and focused on helping others.

Yes, there are people out there who moan and whine about being fat all the while stuffing their faces. I think even more common are the people who lost the weight, then gained it back and more. Losing weight in and of itself is pretty easy, but unless you're doing it for the right reasons, it's even easier to gain it back. Some of it's laziness, but there are so many other reasons that I couldn't even begin to list them all. I think to judge people based on how heavy they are is an insult - not to them, but to ourselves. We limit ourselves so much by wanting everyone else to want what we want.

I was thinking more about this today as I Xmas shopped with my sis. She eats what she wants, when she wants. For lunch she had one of those huge fried onions and nachos grande, with a Dr.Pepper. Before that, as we were driving around, she stopped to get a light and sweet coffee and a chocolate doughnut. She gets no formal exercise, and would rather drive than walk across the parking lot. She is also about 90 pounds soaking wet. Always has been. Tiny tiny. Yet, when she puts all that junk into her body, people tease her about it in a positive way. "Where do you put it?" "Are your legs hollow?" "You must have a super-charged metabolism."

Her diet and fitness habits are as bad as any obese person, yet no one looks at her with disgust. Just food for thought. :)

Sparrow

I was thinking about this on the ride home. Why are your co-workers clowns just because they are overweight? The more I thought about it, the more I realized that I couldn't understand why not being overweight would make a person any better than someone who is overweight. I mean, you are applying the standards you apply to yourself to the rest of the world and feeling superior. But who says anyone else has any interest in your goals? Those are your goals, and you may think they are great goals, but they may not be of any interest to anyone else.

-Nancy

Thank you Nancy, Christine, and Sparrow. I agree with everything you three stated in your posts. My parents are both quite overweight. Do I wish they would lose weight...you bet, BUT they have accomplished so much in their lives:
1. Provided a loving, supportive home to their children.
2. Rock steady marriage for over 25 years.
3. Loyal friends.
4. Give to those in need.
5. Good neighbors.
6. Take care of the sick, visit people others forget about.
My parents are funny, intelligent, giving, loving, and caring people who happen to be overweight. Yes, it is their fault...lack of exercise and poor eating habits. They are in their 60's and trying to change a lifetime of bad habits, but being overweight doesn't make them anything other than human beings struggling with what many of us struggle with. And if weight isn't your #1 struggle, something else is. Be thankful you aren't being judged quite so harshly or unfairly if your struggle is something not as easily seen or noticed by others.

As much as I enjoy working out and I will never give up that battle to lose the last 10 (yes, I know...diet, diet, diet:p ), fitness isn't everything to everyone, nor is it the most important thing in life.

Not flaming, just giving my opinion on the subject.

I'm usually a lurker on this forum and I have to say that this is one of the most disrespectful threads I have ever seen. Who am I, you or anyone to judge someone else by how heavy they are? Someone already mentioned this earlier but just because someone doesn't share your goals or your motivation does not make you any better than them. Their obesity is a small fraction of who they are. Every one of us has our own issues and quirks, people that are obese just happen to be more noticeable. I've already seen several examples in this thread of members that know obese people who are amazing and I'm really not that surprised because obesity just isn't the whole package. If you want to get really specific let's say you had an obese woman who serves her community and loves her family and standing next to her is a slender, beautiful, physically fit woman who beats her kids? Now who do you look down upon? Obviously, this can go both ways but the point is to say you have certain judgments about a person's physical appearance is extremely narrow-minded. Just imagine if people could see your insecurities or flaws. People who are obese just can't hide it like others can.

"And if weight isn't your #1 struggle, something else is. Be thankful you aren't being judged quite so harshly or unfairly if your struggle is something not as easily seen or noticed by others."

Gogigi- thank you for your words of wisdom. That's what I wanted to say but couldn't find the words for. Beautifully stated!

-Nancy

The " we are superior" comment scares me. Maybe we are "healthier" or "better looking" but definitely not superior. Mari

It is interesting to hear people's opinions but I think many of you are neglecting to realize that it is a much deeper issue than simply deciding to eat a Big Mac over a salad. It's so much deeper than that and I don't mean genetics or other medical conditions.

I was heavier as a teen and everytime I got close to my goal weight I'd sabotage myself because I didn't want any man to look at me because I had a bad experience-don't want to get into the details- but I subconsiously decided to let myself stay on the heavy side until I regained my self confidence, etc.. I'm not saying that these circumstances apply to everyone but I just think that people need to realize that 9 times out of 10, it has NOTHING TO DO WITH FOOD.

So glad to see some sense came to this forum.

Yes LauraMax your SUPERIOR comment deserves to be BLASTED... UNBELIEVABLE -

At least now some caring posts have found their way to the thread :)

Sad to see how some of you think.. It's very disheartening.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.