Are whole wheat bread and pasta clean foods?

lora-kate1

Cathlete
Hi Cathe!

Do you consider whole wheat bread and pasta to be clean foods? How often to you eat them? I am really struggling with this one.

Thanks!

100% whole grains would be considered clean foods. Whole grains contain a large amount of fiber, which is extremely important to a healthy diet. I often eat oats (not instant) and pita bread, both of which are whole grain. I also eat the whole wheat shredded wheat cereal. I would recommend reading the packaging on any product that claims "whole wheat," because often times the products contain additives.

Regular, enriched pasta is not clean eating. Enriched means that many nutrients were lost during processing so some nutrients had to be replaced. The packaging will read enriched and the ingredients list contains semolina. There are whole wheat pastas now which are pretty good. Again, read the label to check for additives and sodium content.

I eat whole grains, fruits (also containing lots of fiber), vegetables, and legumes every day, as much as I want. I have a bowl of the shredded wheat in the morning and then I usually have pita bread or rice later in the day. I never have to worry about fiber due to the large amounts of grains and fruits I consume each day.

Also, I have been eating every 3 hours for the past couple of weeks and it is really working for me. I feel more energized now because I don't let myself get too hungry before eating. It is also much easier to ensure that I get enough nutrients through out the day.

So sorry about the length. Hope this is what you were looking for!

Just makes sure you read the ingredients on the package, esp. when it comes to whole wheat bread. There are so many whole grain breads that label themselves "all natural" but have listed garbage like high fructose corn syrup in the ingredients.

They would be considered clean (if you mean "whole grain pasta" and not regular pasta). I try to avoid wheat, which pervades too many foods these days and is very hybridized and high in gluten, since it is not the most healthy grain, IMO. I rarely eat bread, but when I do, it's usually sprouted multi-grain bread (which includes sprouted wheat). I don't eat pasta very often, and when I do, I usually go for quinoa/corn or rice pasta.

One thing to consider: breads and pasta are made from flour---finely ground grain--and this processing, according to some, makes the calories more assimilable. I believe this is true, because when I took Neal Barnard's advice and avoided flour products, even 'whole' flour products--sticking to whole grains, not their flours, I lost some weight pretty easily.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.