ANYONE USING A BREAST PUMP?

bestican

Cathlete
HI ALL...WAS WONDERING IF ANYONE IS BREAST FEEDIING IF THEY ARE USING A PUMP? IF SO, WHICH BRAND ARE YOU USING, AND WOULD YOU RECOMMEND THE BRAND OR NOT? WAS LOOKING AT WEBSITES TRYING TO RESEARCH, BUT BOY ARE THEY CONFUSING! I DID NOT BREAST FEED MY FIRST, BUT WOULD LIKE TO WITH #2 DUE IN APRIL, AND WIH THE HOLIDAYS, KINDA PUT OFF MAKING BABY RELATED DECISIONS...DIDN'T EVEN THINK OF RESEARCHING BREAST PUMPS! THANKS TO ALL IN ADVANCE FOR YOUR COMMENTS, WORDS OF WISDOM, AND REFERRALS.

CONNIE

hi Connie,

i bp a few times a week and use the following pump:

http://www.medela.com/NewFiles/pumps_personalUseElectric.html#single_deluxe

Medela pumps are highly regarded and it depends on how often you plan on pumping to help you make the right choice. This pump is good for occassional use and works pretty quickly. Just to let you know, I found it difficult to pump before 3 weeks postpartum. You just aren't producing a lot of milk yet and what you do have, the baby is lapping up :) I also bought a few extra medela bottle bases for the pump b/c one just doesn't go far enough. Also, this is so much easier than trying to express milk yourself.

http://www.kellymom.com/bf/pumping/index.html

The above is a good info website on pumping and sotrage of breastmilk. Take care of yourself for the rest of the pregnancy, good luck with the new baby once it arrives and I hope you enjoy bf:ing your little one! It can be rewarding!

Annie

If you are looking for something to use just occasionally, I recommend the Avent Isis hand pump. If you want something to use more frequently I recommend the Pump In Style Advanced by Medela. I've used both and they both are great!

Lori

Thanks...so far those are the 2 I have researched, and I think I will wait on purchasing one until the baby is here. It is so hard for me to not get too far ahead of myself! I am driving my DH crazy with trying to dig out all of our baby clothes and equipment and trying to get the room ready....Thanks for everyone's advice.

Connie

Will you be pumping at work? I work 3 days a week and use the Medela pump in style. I can pump both breasts at once in about 10 minutes. It even has a cooler to store the milk in. It comes in a black leather case and you can't even tell what it is. It is somewhat expensive though. I was lucky that my employer that I had when my first was born paid for all but $50.00 of it. It sat in my basement for 6 years and I only spent about $30.00 on replacement parts and it is good as new. It even has a car adapter! (not and ideal place to pump but I go to so many different clients for work sometimes I don't have a choice, I have a big cape to wear for this purpose)

It definitely becomes second nature the longer you do it. I plan on continuing until my second is at least a year old.

Good Luck!

Rachel

Emily 11/5/99
Katie 6/20/06

I also used the Medela pump in style. I stopped pumping regularly when my daughter turned 9 months old. Now I only use it occasionally. But it was very quick. But like the previous poster said a little pricey!

I used the medela single pump. It was slower than the double pump but affordable and did the trick. I only worked part time but if you plan on working full time I agree with the recommendation of the medela pump in style. I tried the advent hand pump and hated it.

Hi Connie, good for you deciding to breast feed. If you want a pump that isn't so pricey try the Lansinoh electric duo pump. Its a lot less expensive then the others I looked at & I use it all the time with no problems, it also can run on batteries which is great for travel. I would suggest you get one before your baby is born, that way if your breasts get sore you can pump & still feed your baby breast milk. I had to do that & I was sure glad I had it ready to go when I needed it. Best wishes. CD

Hi Connie,

I also use the Medela Pump In Style. It worked great with my first baby and I haven't had to replace any parts yet with the second. I work full-time and it's great for the office because it only takes about ten mins to pump both breasts.

Tris

I would recommend Medela Pump in Style. AWESOME! Used it with my two littlest ones & bf both over 12 months. You can check with your insurance provider as many pay for the price of the pump with a prescription. :)

~Melanie~

Jadon born 11/23/05
Justin born 1/17/04
Jory born 4/9/94

" Take care of your body like it will last a lifetime. Take care of your soul like it will last for eternity"

I used an electric double pump for a while, but I eventually switched to the Avent hand pump. I paid $49.99 for it at Target, and it worked better for me than the pump I rented from the hospital or the electric one I had. I was able to pump in half the time because I could regulate the speed and it was so much more comfortable, in my experience. I highly recommend it as an economical option to the other pumps out there.

Hope that helps,

Tricia

I used the Pump in Style Advanced. I just stopped pumping this week. I absolutely love it---does both in 10 minutes or less. Pricey at $350, but I will use it when we have another baby also.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.