Anyone have friends who workout?

Janie, I don't really have any friends that I say, hey lets go out...because I am so busy, free time is spent with family. But what I find is the people that regularily work out where I do start to become friends. We swimmers joke when we see each other out and about that we don't recognize each other with clothes. And if I miss going to the pool at my normal time, I get asked the next time if everything is alright, and why I was not there. So I guess if you start saying some quiet Hi's, you might be surprised over time that you make some friends!

Too funny, Dorothy! My running buddies and I say the same thing. I also swim laps and the other day I saw the aquatic director when I was leaving the Y for an appointment (actually did my hair & makeup before leaving) and he almost didn't recognize me. :eek:

We're not too far away, maybe one of these days we could meet up!!

Too funny, Dorothy! My running buddies and I say the same thing. I also swim laps and the other day I saw the aquatic director when I was leaving the Y for an appointment (actually did my hair & makeup before leaving) and he almost didn't recognize me. :eek:

We're not too far away, maybe one of these days we could meet up!!

You swim too! There is a Master's meet every year at Weselyn(sp?) in March. I usually cannot go because it is DD's district meet, but I think after she does HS swimming she is going to just swim recreationally and not compete, so I might get over there for that. Ever think about Master's swimming Jess?

You swim too! There is a Master's meet every year at Weselyn(sp?) in March. I usually cannot go because it is DD's district meet, but I think after she does HS swimming she is going to just swim recreationally and not compete, so I might get over there for that. Ever think about Master's swimming Jess?

Oh yeah! I got into swimming last year for triathlons. My friend took some Master's swimming at IWU, but unfortunately it seems to be on Sunday mornings when I'm at church. I have looked into it, I swim at the Y where they don't offer it. But... the aquatics director gives me pointers and taught me flip turns this week!

Ok, we'll definitely have to hook up and try to meet up for at least coffee! :D

I am lucky enough to work with (and sit right next to) a girl who works out every day. We come in and talk about what workout we did or are planning to do for the day. I got her hooked on Cathe and she got me back to exercising regularly and making and following rotations.

Carrie

I am lucky enough to work with (and sit right next to) a girl who works out every day. We come in and talk about what workout we did or are planning to do for the day. I got her hooked on Cathe and she got me back to exercising regularly and making and following rotations.

Carrie

Yes- I sit next to Carrie and we love to talk about our workouts- and we are good friends too! We also read the forum on and off all day and discuss the posts. I am mostly a lurker though!

Nope. Im pretty much on my own. I did have a running partner for a while but we only became friends b/c we started running together...not friends who ran together (if that makes sense)
I do have a friend who dabbles in it, and another who talks about it (but don't they all) I did mention to my friend last night about signing up for a bootcamp class and she was all over it. We will see if we actually go.
If I had to depend on other people to get me in shape or to keep me motivated...Id be out of luck!

Lori:)

Yes, but that's b/c I spend most of my free time at the gym, therefore most of my close friends are FROM the gym. :) In fact that's one of my very favorite things about health clubs--they're great social outlets & a wonderful place to meet people with whom you have at least one thing in common. ;)

None of my friends workout regularly. Not that I know of. They know I workout to videos, but they think it's Denise Austin type thing. That's OK... their loss.

And don't you hate it when people say things like, "You're so lucky that you look like that" (or something similar).

Luck has nothing to do with it. Hard work, discipline and perserverance has everything to do with it.

I'm not naturally fit and I don't have a fast metabolism!

Oh my goodness that is sooo true. That is one of the smartest things I've read!!

Since I'm a cyclist I have a few good friends who are cyclists and who also do other workouts during the off-season, but it can be a real competitive thing sometimes and I don't like having friends who are competitive. I have another really good friend who works out but who isn't a cyclist and that friendship is much nicer. We talk about working out and healthy eating ALL the time. My DH works out. Always has. They have a really nice gym at the police department that he uses. I have a really nice gym at our house that I use. :) When we move in the next 10 years to a more populated, progressive city I think I will probably sign up for a class of some sort at a gym though just so that I can meet more like-minded people. We won't be far from here (45 miles) and we will be where my one non-competitive workout friend lives, so that will be good.

I have no friends that workout regularly. My sister twin though is a crazy workout freak like I am. We've been having so much fun running in all these crazy races. I couldn't have done them without her. We've got a 15K tomorrow am. :eek:

My BIL runs but he lives in IL so I can't workout with him, although we have plans to do a race at Disney next year.

none of my friends do (except for my neighbor)though they talk about it. my neighbor teaches kickboxing and wrestling-ouch! he is going to order p90x after seeing my dvds. he also plans on making dvds so maybe they'll b more kb dvds to work out on in the future.

laura

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.

Back