Anyone familair with Kundalini Yoga?

Dawn W

Cathlete
Hi there,
I have a question for anybody familair with Kundalini Yoga I just got the DVD and went through most of it once.

My question is this. Do you do the whole program at once or break it into segments? I'm hoping it can be done in segments so I can use it more often. I don't usually have over an hour to dedicate to YOGA. Do you have any suggestions on how to break it out? Do certian segments flow together real well, and can you start from any segment?

Thanks for any suggestions,
Dawn

I'm no Kundalini expert by a long shot, but I did discover the magic in it about a year ago. My first tape was by Gurutej Kaur and was called Chakra Yoga. That was just about an hour including the meditation at the end and I never felt anything like it. Then I got Gurmukh's Kundalini Yoga tape. I've only done that a handful of times but I personally wouldn't do it out of sequence. It does seem to work with Chakras in a specific order, so if you're short on time I'd cut it short rather than skip around. Maybe spread it out over 2 days?

Which DVD do you have?

Hi Lex,
I have Kundalini Yoga With Grace & Strength. The instructor is Carol Carlson ( she also has another Yoga name ???? mentioned on the cover). It starts out with breath of fire and concentrating on that. The next segment is "say good morning, say good afternoon". You lightly and quickly "pick yourself up" or jog in place and move your arms in a circular pattern in the air forward for a while and then you reverse them. Then there are 14 more segments. Overall the DVD is about 65 to 70 minutes. Some of the moves are much tougher then I expected. Its been alot of years since I've tried a back bend (I felt that one ;-) )
Dawn

Obviously, go EASY with those backbends. That can really hurt you if you do too much too soon, so just go slow with that move.

Seems like every Kundalini tape is a little different and I'm not familiar with that one. But I have a feeling if you break it up in order, in the sequence it's in on the tape and begin each session with the warming up and breath of fire you would be fine. Kundalini is really something though, isn't it?

Thanks Lex

Thanks Lex,
I'll try your suggestions and always do the first two segments, a series of segments from the middle and then and last couple of segments. I guess it will just take a little experimentation to see what works best.

Yes I will take it easy with the back bends. She holds that position for a bit longer then I was able to.... but in time. This tape made me realize I'm not 11 years old anymore ;-) . (Which is the last time I attempted a back bend. )

Dawn

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.

Back