Anyone do steel cut oats in a crockpot?

Tess_ATL

Cathlete
OK I am going to branch out and try some steel cut oats and I've read a few recipes for this. I have a 5 quart rival pot and the concensus seems to be use 1/4 c. oats to 1 c. water ratio cooked overnight for 6-8 hrs. on low. Anyone do this regularly with good results?

I've just used the crockpot once. I used a 1:2 oats to water ratio and cooked on high for ...oh... I can't remember. I was in the house and just kept an eye on it. I prefer the texture when I cook them on the stove though, so I haven't tried the crockpot again. Good luck! Let us know how it turns out.

I've made them overnight in the crockpot also, and with good results. However, I've found it just as easy to let the oats soak overnight and then it doesn't take long to ccok on the stove in the morning. And for a chewyier texture, I just cook them up on the stove with no soaking and just don't cook 'em as long as the directions say. Go ahead and experiment till you find what works best for you. Deb

I have let them soak overnight, but not using a crock pot.

I use the same ratio you mentioned. First I boil the water, then stir in the oats and let cook for only a minute. Then turn off the heat and cover. When I wake up they are perfect, just need to be warmed in the microwave.

Monica

Do you have a rice cooker?
I alsways make mine in the rice cooker.
1 cup oats to 4 cups water. It only takes about 1/2 hour and you don't have to watch it and can do other things.
Jen

Thanks so much for the idea to let them go overnight on the stovetop! I did it last night and they came out perfect. Even DH liked it.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.