Anybody make their own Protein Bars?

Lynn M.

Cathlete
Hi there-

Does anybody have their own recipe for making protein bars that tastes good? I've tried a couple of recipes off various websites and they weren't so tasty. :(

I'm looking for something that's has a decent amount of protein for minimal calories.

I've been trying to knock off a homemade version of the Chef Jay's oatmeal raisin protein cookies ( which are very good!) but I'm not even close.

I don't care if there is artificial sweeteners in it, but obviously if you have one that doesn't that would be even better.

Thanks in advance, Lynn M.

Hey Lynn! I can't remember who posted this (sorry to them for not giving credit where it is due) but I copied and saved this the other day. You could mess with it a bit to make it raisin- maybe use vanilla powder and add raisins?? Let me know if you find any good ones, I've been looking too!

Chocolate Protein Bars

1 cup Applesauce (I use natural/unsweetened applesauce)
1 tsp Ground Cinnamon
2 Tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder
3 large egg whites raw
4 oz non fat milk
2 cups of whole grain old fashioned oatmeal
1/3 Cup Splenda (I substitute this with 4 packets Sweet and Low)
1 teaspoon oil (I use LouAna Pure Safflower Oil)
60g Chocolate Protein Powder (I use 120 g of protein which doubles the protein per bar)

DIRECTIONS
Mix ingredients in a large mixing bowl. Pour into non stick cake pan. Bake at 300 for 25 minutes or until firm, leave until cooled slightly then cut to size.

I found it easier to mix all dry ingredients together first.

I use tinfoil to line my pans and spray the tinfoil with olive oil non-stick cooking spray. It makes clean up much easier.

For quick meals on the run my husband and I like to make four double batches and package two bars per freezer bag, they freeze very well.

My best guess of the nutritional value is:
Calories per bar: 200
Protein per bar: 24 grams
Fat per bar: 5 grams

Thanks Patti!

I will give this a try.. I have all the ingredients already with the exception of the chocolate protein powder... I do have some EAS Ready to drink chocolate protein shakes.. Hmm, I wondering if I could sub that in and reduce the liquid somewhere...:)

I'll post after trying to let you know if it works!

Thanks again, Lynn

I've made these; they're okay but eat them quickly or they get icky.
Protein Bars
Recipe courtesy Alton Brown, 2005
Show:
Good Eats
Episode:
Power Trip
4 ounces soy protein powder, approximately 1 cup
2 1/4 ounces oat bran, approximately 1/2 cup
2 3/4 ounces whole-wheat flour, approximately 1/2 cup
3/4-ounce wheat germ, approximately 1/4 cup
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
3 ounces raisins, approximately 1/2 cup
2 1/2 ounces dried cherries, approximately 1/2 cup
3 ounces dried blueberries, approximately 1/2 cup
2 1/2 ounces dried apricots, approximately 1/2 cup
1 (12.3-ounce) package soft silken tofu
1/2 cup unfiltered apple juice
4 ounces dark brown sugar, approximately 1/2 cup packed
2 large whole eggs, beaten
2/3 cup natural peanut butter
Canola oil, for pan
Line the bottom of a 13 by 9-inch glass baking dish with parchment paper and lightly coat with canola oil. Set aside. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.

In a large mixing bowl, combine the protein powder, oat bran, wheat flour, wheat germ, and salt. Set aside.

Coarsely chop the raisins, dried cherries, blueberries and apricots and place in a small bowl and set aside.

In a third mixing bowl, whisk the tofu until smooth. Add the apple juice, brown sugar, eggs, and peanut butter, 1 at a time, and whisk to combine after each addition. Add this to the protein powder mixture and stir well to combine. Fold in the dried fruit. Spread evenly in the prepared baking dish and bake in the oven for 35 minutes or until the internal temperature reaches 205 degrees F. Remove from the oven and cool completely before cutting into squares. Cut into squares and store in an airtight container for up to a week.
(I don't know where this came from but someone had this: ) Here's the info for the protein bars: 154.01 kilocalories 21.08g carbs 8.41g protein 4.79g fat 2.14g fiber 91.92 mg sodium 17.78 mg cholesterol

Have you tried using your search engine on your computer to search for protein bar recipes? I did this and I found one that I liked that didn't use protein powder several months ago that wasn't bad.

Hey Lynn,
I forgot that I copied this one too. Can you make extra and send some to me?? LOL. I need to get on this and make my own soon.

Protein Bar

Ingredients

3.5c quick oats
1.5c powdered nonfat milk
1c sugar-free pancake syrup
2 egg whites, beaten
1/4c orange juice
1 tsp vanilla
1/4c natural applesauce*
4 scoops chocolate protein powder**

Directions

Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Mix all dry ingredients in bowl and blend well. In separate bowl, combine egg whites, orange juice, applesauce, and the sugar-free syrup. Blend well. Stir liquids into dry ingredients until mixed. The consistency will be thick and similar to cookie dough. Spread batter on baking sheet coated with nonstick spray, or use a 9x12 baking dish if you want a thicker serving. Bake until edges are crisp and browned. Cut into 10 bars and store in an airtight container or freeze.

*If you find you want a more moist consistency, add a little more applesauce to the recipe for softness.

**The brand of protein used in this recipe contains 200cals, 4g carb, 44g prot, 2g fat and 2g fiber.

Nutritional info per seving

cals 140
carbs 23g
prot 15g
fat .5g
fiber 4g

These tastes like chewy brownies!!!

Chocolate Peanut butter bars

Preparation before you begin mixing.. You will need to make Pecan and Almond meal in a food processor or I use my Vita mixer - grind Raw Pecans and Raw Almonds into a flour consistancy.

This is for one batch, I double the ingredients to make a double batch.

1/2 cup pecan meal
1/2 cup almond meal
1/2 natural peanut butter (I use crunchy)
1/3 cup flax meal
1tbsp cocoa powder unsweetened
1/4 cup of Splenda ( I use Whey Low http://www.wheylow.com/Default.asp?Redirected=Y )
1 whole egg 1 egg white (recipe is too dry with 1 white, so I use 3 whites 1 whole egg for a more moist brownie)
6 scoops of chocolate protein powder
1/4 teaspoon of salt (I never add salt when I bake and I don't here)

Again, to add some moisture, I add 1/4 cup water to the batter, but the recipe doesn't call for it. You decide if you think the batter looks too dry. Don't add too much, it does make the batter too tacky/sticky.

Mix everything together in a large bowl. Mix until it is a thick dough. Spread mixture into a 8X8 baking dish coated with olive oil spray. Bake for 12 minutes @ 350. My oven cooks fast so I bake for 10 minutes so mine come out so chewy!!!

Makes 6 servings. I cut in half(12 servings) for lower calorie snacks.

Calories 396
Protein 33
Carbs 12g
Fiber 5g
sugars 4g
Fat 26g
SFA 4g
MUFA 13g
PUFA 8g
Omega-3 1.1g
Omega 6 6.5g

You guys are awesome!!! Thanks for posting these.. I will be trying some of these over the next couple of weeks.
Good nutritionals on them too.. :)
Thanks again, Lynn M.

These are all great!

I've made all of these and they're all wonderful!

Meal Replacement Bars (Cutting)
"the bars never set and they're mushy and therefore impossible to cut"
Combine in Large Mixing Bowl

8 Scoops Whey (Vanilla is very good)
3 Cups Oats
1 Package Sugar Free Fat Free Pudding (Any flavor is good)
2 Cups Skim Milk

Mix until a sticky batter is formed (may take a few minutes)

use a large spoon to spread out the mix into the bottom of a Pam-sprayed glass or metal cooking tray (spread until even)
put in the fridge overnight and cut into 8 equal bars that yield:
3g fat 28g carbs 29g protein 257 calories
These bars taste amazing, and are perfect for: breakfast, pre OR postworkout

STRAWBERRY & BANANA MEAL REPLACEMENT BARS
Makes 6 bars
1 cup raw oatmeal
5 scoops of strawberry protein powder ( 90g of protein)
1/4 cup fat free cream cheese
1/2 cup non fat dry milk powder
2 egg whites
1/4 cup water
1 1/2 bananas, mashed
2 tsp. canola oil (this is the secret to moist bars instead of the traditional dry bar)

Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Spray a 9x9 square pan with cooking spray & set aside. In a med.ium bowl combine oatmeal, Protein powder & dry milk. Set aside. In another bowl beat together with an electric hand mixer, cream cheese, egg whites, bananas, water & oil. Add the oat mixture & continue to beat until the two are combined. Pour batter into the prepared pan & bake for 30-35 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean.
Calories-203, Protein 22g, Carbs 22g, Fats 3g

Low Fat "Majmum" Protein bar
ingredients:
8 oz fat free cream cheese
4 scoops protein powder ( i use chocolate)
3 cups whole oats
1/2 cup splenda
Dash of cinnamon ( to taste)

Combine splenda, cream cheese, protein, and cinnamon in a bowl and mix with an electric mixer on high til its smooth.
add the oats and mix with the mixer until you have a fairly homogeneous mixture.
note if it is too thick add a 1/4 cup of milk or water
spray an 8x8 pan with PAM. spread the mixture in the pan. sprinkle some additional splenda on top and place in the fridge for an hour.

I cut mine into ten bars for a breakdown of 154 cals, 17.8g carb, 15g protein, 1.8 g fat

Thanks Laura-

I've tried the first recipe before.. the refrigerator one and I must have added too much liquid, it was soupy/scoopable, not even close to sliceable. When you make them, is your thicker?

It looks like I have no excuse to go and make chocolate chip cookies now when I want to do some baking... these recipes will definitely help me stay "good" when that urge strikes! :)

Thanks again, Lynn M.

Not so soupy

Hi Lynn,

Yes, I usually add more dry ingredients so that they are thicker and then I have more on hand to eat. :)

Laura

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.