Any tips for sit & stands?

I just finished the 1RM and had an epic fail on the sit & stands! I tried 2 different chairs and could NOT lift myself up without putting the lifted foot on the ground for assistance. I can do it easily without a weight but not while holding a weight (I need my arms on the sides, it seems, not in front of me). Has anyone found tricks or tips to make this exercise more managable?

Do you have a high step? I do this one with the high step instead of a chair, because I can raise the height. I found if I sat higher, I could manage it. Then, as you get stronger, you can remove a riser to make it harder.

Yes, as posted above, the highest high step you have. I started that way, then was eventually able to do this exercise off a chair. Also, do the reps slower than Cathe. She goes pretty fast and momentum starts to occur for me. I just go at my own, slower, pace and rewind if I need to.

The high step is a great suggestion! I'm going to give that a try! I also struggle with this move; it's more like a spasm & collapse than a sit & stand :p!

Wookiemouse, too funny on the epic fail. I'm right there with ya!

Here I am flying through all my 1RM and then I come to the sit and stands - and everything comes to a hault! I just found myself sitting their laughing as I couldn't even do one! :p

Jane, fantastic advice on the high step - thanks!

I asked Cathe this question on Facebook because I couldn't do the sit n stands either. She said to substitute hover squats. HTH!

Do you have a high step? I do this one with the high step instead of a chair, because I can raise the height. I found if I sat higher, I could manage it. Then, as you get stronger, you can remove a riser to make it harder.

Just wanted to say the Jane is a genius!!!! I tried my high step (8 risers and the top) and was able to do sit 'n stands with a 10# weight!!!!:eek:
Thank you so much for sharing that great tip!

I find the sit and stands challenging as well. Sometimes I will substitute a leg curl on my weight bench. The high step is a great way to work up to the sit and stands!!!! Good luck!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.