Any runners here? Looking for advice

murfmom

Cathlete
I have recently started running - did a 10k, and am now seriously considering a half marathon in February. My question is, how do you fit in all your Cathe workouts with running? I've been running Tuesday/Thursday, with a long run on Sunday and doing weights on MWF, but I miss Cathe's cardio. I'm also torn on whether/when to include leg workouts, since I want to strengthen my legs, but I don't want to be too sore to run. With the new dvds coming, I really want to figure this out so I can do it all. Thanks so much!

When I was running consistently ( I start back in Jan), I could only fit Cathe in twice a week. It went something like this:
Sun - stretch/Rest
Mon - Run
Tue - Cathe wts
Wed - Cathe Cardio
Thur - Run intervals
Friday - Run hills
Sat - easy, long run

Sometimes that varied, but I, too, missed Cathe. When the long runs got longer, I had to drop my Cathe Cardio and add another stretch/rest day in.

HTH

When I was running consistently ( I start back in Jan), I could only fit Cathe in twice a week. It went something like this:
Sun - stretch/Rest
Mon - Run
Tue - Cathe wts
Wed - Cathe Cardio
Thur - Run intervals
Friday - Run hills
Sat - easy, long run

Sometimes that varied, but I, too, missed Cathe. When the long runs got longer, I had to drop my Cathe Cardio and add another stretch/rest day in.

HTH
Thanks! I guess I need to accept that something has to give - I can't do it all without overtraining. But with the new Cathes coming, it's going to be hard. Did you find that your Wednesday cardio hurt your Thursday run? Also, did you do any leg weights?

I tend to only do strength training from Cathe and run 4 or 5 days per week. It also depends on what my goal is at that point in time. In the winter, I tend to add more strength training or Cathe cardio if I don't feel like running in the cold or on the treadmill. If I am training for something specific, I pick running first.

I find that I feel better if I keep up with some sort of strength training on my legs. One thing I tried this summer that worked for me was dropping down in weight a little, on the DVDs that are higher rep, I still got a good workout, but was not sore afterwards.

I definitely strength train my legs. It helps me with my running.

I do either a Cathe DVD (or someone else) or a crossfit interval class every single day. I also run 4 miles a day, 6 days a week.

It works fine for me. I don't know exactly what you all mean by "sore". I'm always a little sore from something. It's just part of being someone who works out hard!

Thanks! I guess I need to accept that something has to give - I can't do it all without overtraining. But with the new Cathes coming, it's going to be hard. Did you find that your Wednesday cardio hurt your Thursday run? Also, did you do any leg weights?

Yes, I always train legs. That Tuesday wt work was full body wt work. Wednesday cardio was always something easy and fun like Step moves, boxing or Intensity without the step.

Also, you could work your legs the day or two after your long run. depending on how your legs feel.

HTH

When I'm training for races, my schedule is usually something like this:

Day 1: Upperbody
Day 2: Interval Run
Day 3: Lowerbody
Day 4: Tempo Run
Day 5: Cathe Cardio or Metabolic workout
Day 6: Rest
Day 7: Long Run

I've started running 3 times a week the last couple of years. I have more energy for my long runs on Sundays. In November and December I take a break from running and include more Cathe cardio and strength training (to build up some of the muscle I lose during racing season). My first race is the first week of April so I start back with race training in January. HTH.

When I'm training for races, my schedule is usually something like this:

Day 1: Upperbody
Day 2: Interval Run
Day 3: Lowerbody
Day 4: Tempo Run
Day 5: Cathe Cardio or Metabolic workout
Day 6: Rest
Day 7: Long Run

When I first read your schedule, it surprised me that you do a tempo run after working legs. But, then I remember reading something about doing exactly that to strengthen legs. I think the article said you will strengthen legs by running tempos on tired legs. I'm gonna try it!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.