Any of you have pull-ups as a goal?

mikkame77

Cathlete
I want to be able to perform at least one pull-up by year's end. If anyone else has this as a goal, what are you doing to make this a reality?

Thanks,
mikkame77

Yes,Yes,Yes.
I have been trying to master this for 2 months now and It Aint happening! Meanwhile my sister comes over to my place and I ask her if
she could do them she say's no but Ill try and ends up doing 5 of them
perfect form and her chin went past the bar.
I was so discouraged, I gave up and I haven't tried since.
But I want to try again. Any suggestions? Have you been able to
do these even once with good form?
Tjaded

I wish!

Tjaded,

I have not ever been able to a single pull-up ever in my life. My sister can do 3 sets of 15 or more! My BF says that he will help me plan a program to achieve my goal. I was just wondering if others had a plan of action. I'll let you know if I ever figure out a plan.

mikkame77

I can't do any but very much want to. It will be at least fall until I can get the pull up bar I want. When I do get it I plan first to do pull ups from a seated position so that I'll only be lifting my upper body weight. Then a higher seat and slanted legs to lift more weight. Then negatives--standing on a stool in chin-above-the-bar position and trying to lower myself slowly. Hopefully all this will give me the strength I need to pull up. If you have access to the gym the assisted pull-up machine is fantastic, but I prefer to workout at home. --Karen

What type of pullup bar to you use? I want to install one in my basement. I bet plank and pushup work would help you achieve your goal.:)

Wow, great thread. I have a pull up bar but can't use it because I'd bump my head on the ceiling! LOL Anyway, how about starting a little challenge here. Let's see who can do one first. I'd love to be able to do them. My 17 year old daughter can & she has beautiful arms & back muscles!

The best way to start is to put a chair underneath you & use your legs to sort of "cheat" as you pull up. Use your upper body strength as much as possible & use your legs to do the rest of the work. Eventually (in theory) you will be able to do a complete pull-up.

Yep! One pull up (or chin up) by the end of the year.

I'm going very heavy with Cathe's PS upper body DVD and hanging from a bar at my son's playground when I have a chance.

I found this at VF. I was working on pullups about a year ago and after about 4 mo. I got discouraged and quit. I just need to get the oomph to get started again. I make the excuse that with my long arms it may never happen. I've been stuck at 5 straight leg pushups for some time now:-(

Anyway here is the link. It has a copy of an article from Self that has a pullup plan.

http://205.214.68.83/vbulletin/showthread.php?s=&threadid=21959&highlight=chinup

Andrea

Hi,
I purchased a relatively inexpensive one from modells sporting goods
store for $12.95 all steel that you can put up in a doorway or
wherever there a two supporting beams. It's also able to be taken down
if you have to put it somewhere that might be unsightly. The brackets
will obviously remained mounted in the wall.
Tjaded

I hope to be able to do at least 1 pullup with the next two-months.
I mean really it should'nt take me this long. But I know it will,
because of the demand in strength you need from your back muscles.
What do you Catheites think?

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.