Any ideas for a 40th Wedding Anniversary present?

sln

Cathlete
My parents are celebrating their 40th anniversary next month with a party they are throwing. What is a good gift from children to parents? My brother and I were thinking about a family picture of mine and his family, but that seems kinda boring. Any good ideas out there? Thanks! - Sarah

P.S. We don't have LOADS of cash, so no trips to Paris!

My parents 40th was a week ago and I sent them a scrapbook of all of the pictures I had of them through the years. I took their original wedding pictures and added framing, etc., with Photoshop. They were very touched.

Melissa
Paragonah, UT

Do you like scrapbooking? This might be a nice thing to do to help them reflect back on their forty years together. It wold be even nicer if you got everyone involved in making pages and writing down fun memories of time together. Even my unsentimental DH really appreciated the scapbook of his life I made for him for his 30th.

Thanks for the scrapbooking suggestion - that sounds good, and personal. I've never done any scrapbooking before - but I'm relatively creative, and good with Photoshop, etc. Is a scrapbook something a novice could put together fairly easily? - Sarah

For my in-laws 50th I purchased a beautiful black leather bound journal. A friend who does calligraphy wrote their surname on the front cover in gold ink. The journal was passed around at their party and every guest wrote some special memory or greeting inside. I think mom and pop really appreciated it. It's fun to look at it now and remember everyone that helped us celebrate on that special day.

We also documented their life in a scrapbook with tons of pictures.

40 years?! With the same person????!!!! Cheeeez, a gold medal!

"You can't win them all - but you can try." - Babe Zaharias http://www.clicksmilies.com/s0105/musik/music-smiley-004.gif[/img]

My in-laws are celebrating their 50th next week. I have no idea about a gift for them, I just know that DH and his sisters are paying for the party. Heck, I am not even ready to leave on Monday, mentally or packed, you think I have thought about a gift:7 :p !

:) That's funny - sometimes I think they do both deserve a medal for staying together that long, LOL. I think the longest running perennial argument they have is my Mom accusing my Dad of throwing something of hers away by accident (a recipe, receipt, etc) and my Dad denying all knowledge of doing this, and then my Mom eventually finding out where she put said item. LOL! I'm sure many couples can identify with that. In my house, the accusation is (from me) "Did you eat the last (cookie, bag of chips, soda, etc)? LOL. Ain't love grand? - Sarah

That scrap booking idea is a wonderful idea! I'm sure that you can do it on your own. I went to a creative memories party and got into it for a little while. I would just go online and google scrapbooking and see what ideas are out there. The creative memories stuff is really expensive I think. I'm sure that there are places out there that sell the stuff for less.

Kathy

Scapbooking is easy and you can buy what you need from any reasonable craft store such as Michael's (if you have one in your area. They usually offer classes as well) and I think even Target is carrying some materials right. Now you can also buy or get from the library books that will give you ideas. You may also want to "journal" your memories by including areas in the book, such as next to certain pictures, handwritten memories. I do recommend purchasing archival quality, acid free materials so that the pages will last forever. A quick Google search can get your started. Creative Memories is handy but pricey (but is of archival quality).... I'm not very talented artistically but in the winter I work on my scrapbooks and have fun with it.

Sarah
Scrapbooking is fairly simple. Give it a whirl! You will have fun and your parents will love it!

Melissa

Thank you so much for the advice. I definitely think I will take many of these ideas and run with them! We have a Hobby Lobby and Target, etc and I know Hobby Lobby has a boat load of scrapbooking stuff.

Thank you, ladies!! - Sarah

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.