Any curly heads out there w/short hair?

LauraMax

Cathlete
Since I turned 40 I'm seriously considering taking the plunge. My hair is really curly but also very fine. I've cut it short maybe twice in my life & I always got what I call "the Buckwheat Syndrome" so I gave up & have worn it long. I've had the same hairstyle for about 30 years.

Any curly heads w/short hair that they love? Please share ideas & pics!

P.S. Nancy I've seen your hair & I love it, but I don't think it'd work for me. I think you're one of the few curly heads not cursed with the dreaded frizz. ;-)

Hey Laura -
Well, I don't have a digital camera or access to a scanner, so I can't post pics. Yes, I know. I'm way behind the technology curve.

I don't love my hair, but I can usually handle it. I live in a very humid climate, so on top of the curl, I have massive frizz! My hair is slightly shorter than shoulder length. I have bangs, and the hair is angled a bit around my face. I have a few layers in back so it's not just a blunt bob. My hair stylist also uses these wonderful scissor things that thin out my hair all over, which helps a lot.

All I do to style it is blow-dry the front for a bit of shape and let the rest air dry. I'm sure styling gels would give it more control, but I'm just too lazy to bother. ;)

Anyhow, it works fairly well most of the time, and it's still long enough to pull back... with the help of barrettes... into a ponytail when I work out!

Good luck with your new 'do!!

Hey Laura, my hair isn't super curly (less curly than I thought actually) and I recently took the plunge.

If you have the time you can read all about it.

http://69.0.137.118/dc/dcboard.php?..._id=485426&mesg_id=485426&listing_type=search

Now, I've never linked a thread before so forgive me if it doesn't work.

Ages ago, before mousse, I had a short cut that gave me the dreaded white-girl-with-a-'fro look. Trauma.

There's good product out there nowadays that really kills the frizz.

Good luck!

My hair is curly and fine, and I wear it REALLY short. It doesn't frizz at all when it's this short (but it sure does if I let it grow.) I would love to wear my hair like Nancy's, but it frizzes even at that length.

Ideally, it needs to be trimmed every 4 weeks, but I never manage to do that. I usually get it cut more like 6-7 weeks, although it starts to look worse by week 6.

I wash it every morning, blow dry it for 5 min or so, then give a quick spritz of hairspray. Very easy!

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1024/1121599648_f000ede4bf.jpg

HTH!

Curly hair is very different than straight hair and thus, needs to be cut and colored idfferently.
A cut that minimizes the "tumbleweed" or "pyramid" look can be done but you need to make sure that your stylist is comfprtable and experienced with textured hair types, and not just "OK with cutting it".
As for frizz, everybody can be a victim to it, long, short, straight, curly, thick, thin.. it doesn't make a difference. It's actually a LOT about the products you use.
There is very rarely a haircut that can give us everything we want: ie- soft, beautful hair with no fuss or effort. Rare.
Curly hair has an exposed cuticle making it much drier than straight hair and making it more disposed to frizz.
A good curl product will help tons. Ive had extensions in my hair for three years, now that Im wearing my hair natural its down the middle of my back (it was short for years).
I use about a half ounce of product on it (a cream for curly hair). It defines the curl with very minimal frizz.
If your hair is fine then you would need somehting a little lighter weight, but don't be afraid to USE it. If there are sections of your hair that you are missing with the product (because perhaps, you are afraid to use too much), then they will succumb to the frizz ;)
Properly dressed curls rarely get too out of control.
If you do not want a lot of volume then don't dry your hair, you could even use a little heavier product OR apply something when it is dry (in addition to the before stuff) to tame unwanted volume.
Leave in conditioners are great in the winter when there is no humidity. Redken has a Curl Definer (big green tube, anti frizz conditoner) and a Smooth Down leave in detangler that work GREAT for thicker or curlier hairtypes. KMS has a Curl Cream that's great for the same, it's heavier so it gives more hold.
If your hair is a little finer then Alterna's Texturizing Glaze or KMS Curl Balm is great.
Unfortunatly, you can't have soft bouncy hair with a lot of control. Using a product that is as thick as your hair will give the best control. Slightly thicker than your hair will give more weight to control more volume.
For example, if you have thick coarse curl and you're using a serum like Biosilk Silk Therapy = no control. You will have no luck and the product will be useless because it is too thin to control the coarse hair texture.
Curls that "clump" together more are more defined and will last longer. We all know that once you run your fingers through well styles curls they bounce up and become more uncontrolable.
I would try one of the above products, depending on which better fits your hair description.
Ive also found that a littl pommade around the hairline works great for the hairline frizz. When applying any product ALWAYS emusify it in your hands first (this warms and thins the products making is easier to apply without clumpiness). Layer if needed, apply in sections of your hair at a time and apply in a manner simmilar to that of conditioner (making sure you work it into all the lengths of your hair, not just the top, or the tips etc).
Gee I hope I have not confused anyone. I really do have an immense admiration for curly hair and I know how they can be very trying if you do not understand how to handle them.
If you have any questions please ask!

ps- Id stay away from hairsprays as they are loaded with alcohol and cannot replace the use of a good cream or lotion (unless you want to spritz it for hold afterwards) and use mousses with caution-- they are not the miracle produt they were once thought to be :)

I have really curly hair, really REALLY curly, but it's also massively thick. I had it cut super-short for years, and found it to be a lot of trouble, and only occasionally cute. Now I'm growing it back out and it seems to be locked into a permanent awkward stage despite the authoritative ministrations of my local Aveda salon.

I cannot WAIT for it to get long again so I can manage it more easily. But mine is so unruly and unmanageable (also fond of creating its own topiary shapes) that maybe it's a bad comparison.

Dee

Don't do it Laura! :p Kidding. I've just never had luck with my hair short and curly. Right now it's chest length and really curly, and I don't have an issue with frizz except on the most awful humid days. I use Herbal Essence Humidity Defying Gel and it's awesome.

Good luck, whatever you decide to do.

Sparrow

Even after all this time the earth never says to the sun, "you owe me." Look what happens with a love like that.

It lights the whole sky.

- Hafiz

Hey Laura!

I agree with Dee. I had my hair cut short(way more than what I was looking for) in January and I cannot wait for it to grow back. I actually cried when I came home from the salon. Although everyone who sees it says they love it-makes me look sassy, apparently, I'm quite skeptical. I long for my long, curly locks that have always been my trademark. It's much more difficult to style short-only one way or with a headband. I can't put it up in a pony/bun which is the worst when I work out and feel beads of sweat trickling off the hair that touches my neck-yuck! And forget about washing it every other day-if I don't wash it, there is no style to it whatsoever. When it was long, I could go a few days and it would still look good.

I don't know what I was thinking. I had a good thing going and ruined it. It's only hair right? That's what I keep telling myself anyway.

I've seen your picturetrail-your hair is beautiful the way it is.
I'll see if my husband can figure out how to post a picture.
313285137.jpg

I'm the one on the left:)

Klaudia

I have short curly hair. I live in SW Florida and It's always frizzy and curly. I've worn it short for so long I wanted a change. I recently had it straightened. Hairdresser used "Rusk anticurl" formuated for curly hair that is not coarse. So far so good. I use straightening products when I style it and on the few occasions that the hair does start to take a "bend" its not a tight curl. I figure I'd try it for a while while I grow my hair out.

Carmen

Hey Laura,

What did you decide? Are you gonna go short or keep your long, curly locks? Do tell!:)

Klaudia

I wouldn't sacrifice too much length! I love your hair,maybe you need someone to give it a little shape? Look at Sarah Jesscia Parker, when she wears her hair naturally curly I just die its so pretty! She has my dream hair, but it has a little shape to it, maybe thats all you need.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.