Another nutrition Q

A

Andrea

Reading the "vegetarians" and "Daily Nutrition Hint" posts got me to thinking. I know it is better to buy organic food, especially meat. Do a lot of you do this? Every time I go into Wild Oats I am just shocked at the price of things. How do I get my healthy food and videos too? :-hmmm

I know that the benefits far outweight the price. Just want to hear your perspectives.

Andrea

Hi Andrea, do you live in the Boston area? I use to live in southern NH and would drive to andover to go to wild oats. Now I go to a store called wild by nature. I identify with you on this one. I want so badly to eat healthy organic stuff but it is so darned expensive. I have a 1 and 3 year old and try to buy organic whenever I can, but I can't afford to do a lot of my shopping at the organic stores. What I worry about most is that the hormones they put in meat/milk will affect my kids negatively, and that the pestisides will also harm them. I read an article recently in my husbands new england journal of medicine about the harmful affects of pesticides on growing develping brains. I don't buy red meat anymore and also when I'm not able to buy organic I make sure I only buy domestic fruit/veggies/meat. I saw on a newprogram that when you buy food imported from other countires the standards are not as tough.

Do you know what really scares me because there is not enough research? Gentically modified food. What do people think of that? They are putting corn, and other gentically modified food that they have messed with the DNA of into everyday foods now like cereal. I know it sounds like science fiction, but its true. Yes, I worry about my own health, but it REALLY scares me about my small children.

Hi Amy,

No, I love in Nevada actually, and we have Wild Oats and Trader Joe's that I am aware of. Thanks for your response, and yes the genetically altered food is VERY SCARY. I can't believe the way magazines are building it up to be such a good thing :-mad It's just not natural!

Andrea

hi,

I just wrote a response on the vegetarian thread...check out www.peta.com for some information about becoming vegetarian/vegan and nutrition for children. I haven't really looked into nutritional substitutes for children (for dairy/meat products)as I don't (yet) have children but I'm certain you will find plenty of information online for children's nutrition (that doesn't involve hormone injected milk and meat). Also, I have read that even Dr. Spock changed his views on raising children on cow's milk...this is interesting stuff! best wishes,
Kelli

Andrea-
Where in Nevada are you? I am in Las Vegas, and the Smith's out at the Lakes on Charleston just past Fort Apache sells some organic foods now cheaper than Wild Oats, particularly all the grains and vegetables and fruits.
As far as the meats, they carry a few brands of hormone free, especially chicken. But they don't tell you if it's free range or not, if that is important to you. Their meat and fish in the deli is usually really fresh and reasonable. There is also a whole-sale fresh fish market down on Industrial..can't remember the name right now. Let me know if you want specifics.
My grocery bills are outrageous at Wild Oats..I limit myself to really small portions of meat and fish and it has helped some. But I can't afford to shop there all the time.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.