Annette

Bobbi

Cathlete
You can help me maximize my rental powers anytime. I loved The Cooler.
I didn't get the film started until The H had gotten home; he who has been in the car biz for 11 years and believes in bad luck. I was delighted to bring up the concept of the self-fullfilling prophecy about a moment before the character of Natalie did and to shush him into just letting the story unfold. Baldwin's Shelly surprised me, the sort of character I usually find wholly repulsive. But as repulsive as he was, it was interesting to find he was attractive in a bizarre way. That would have been impossible for me at one time but Baldwin pulled it off. That was cool. I'm expanding along with the universe. There's a whole world out there as far removed from my life as could be and discovering it let's me retreat from my mundane to someone elses and to appreciate mine. Mundane in not necessarily negative and I may not have known that until recently. Film can be as fulfilling as the books I never seem to find the time for and this could be the beginning of a whole new obsession for me. I love finding new ones. But best of all, to observe and deepen my understanding of the human condition, examined with my own existential bent and a dash of Eastern philosphy to blunt the hard edges, and get to bed by 11:00 so I can get up and enjoy this life, is just plain good. You intrigue me. Don't stop. Left to my own devices, I could get stymied.

And, as it turns out, it's quite simply enjoyable to watch a loser see his mundane take a turn for the better. Thank you.
Bobbi http://www.handykult.de/plaudersmilies.de/chicken.gif "Chick's rule!"

Tell me, what is it you plan to do with your one wild and precious life? - Mary Oliver

RE: Bobbikins -

I've gotta tell ya, the older I get the less patience I have with Big Box Hollywood movies; I really feel that I've been watching the same 10 movies over and over again when they're big-budget vehicles. Conversely, I've gotten more and more into "indie" movies because with smaller budgets that can't be blown on Special Effex, or Special Star Salaries, you have to rely more on people and true human stories.

I do continue to recommend "Who Is Cletus Tout?". And I just cannot wait for "Sideways" to come out! And if you haven't seen "The Station Agent", you gotta, you just gotta. Keep in mind that this is an 88-minute movie in which NOTHING HAPPENS. Except that three flawed, ordinary, quirky people become friends. How much better can that get?

A-Jock

Oh, A-Jock, I'm in the same boat. I rarely go to or rent movies because I'm just so tired of being disappointed.

But The Station Agent was fantastic! I came out of that movie just feeling great.

Other great non-Hollywood blockbuster-ish type movies I've seen fairly recently are The Triplets of Belleville (animated, subtitled, VERY quirky), Sexy Beast (a LOT of swearing and thick British accents, and quite violent, but worth it for Ben Kingsley's incredible performance) and O Brother Where Art Thou (an odd take on Homer's Odyssey).

I'd love to hear any recommendations you might have. I'm sick of people telling me that Harold and Kumar Go To White Castle is the best movie EVER!:p

Station Agent is going to run on Starz on April 4th and I have my fabulous DVR all set to record it for me!

I am not a fan of Hollywood. I never could get into the lure of pop culture; pop icons and the cults of personality that spring up around them, while most often quite beautiful, never seem deserving of their power and wealth and always seem to take themselves too seriously. That's fine, mind you. I do it myself but I don't command any power or weath so I do minimal damage to the psyches of the young and nothing to distort reality. Escapism is all well and good but I find it disturbing and just plain weird, because it's so pervasive in this technology and media driven society and it's killing thinking.

I am never conversant when the talk turns to the lastest blockbuster.
Ray was the only film I saw in the theatre last year. Films seem to open and close in the blink of an eye. Usually by the time they hit the shelves at Blockbuster, the trailers that make them look so great are out of mind and I don't bother. I do like suspense and action films though I rarely follow that through. Rich talked me into watching Collateral and I enjoyed Tom Cruise in it and rented the Last Samurai and it didn't suck. I liked it alot. I hadn't seen any of his films since Top Gun. :) I would never have guessed he would have done the bad guy or his samurai character, and pulled it off. Plus I remember him and I can't make head or tails of all the young stars. Who are these people?

I like slow, thoughtful films. I am going to start checking them out. I did see "Lost in Translation" because Rich bought it and brought it home. I have to quit letting him choose; it's no wonder he thinks he thinks for me. :D Blockbuster pushed out two small video rental places that would have carried "Who is Cletus Tout", I am certain. With unlimited rentals and DVR capabilites, I see expanded horizens for Bobbikins!

My husband has just headed behind the entertainment center.....

Man improves himself as he follows his path; if he stands still, waiting to improve before he makes a decision, he'll never move.

-Paulo Coelho

I really liked "Lost in Translation". Lots of people thought it was too slow, but I found it engrossing.

Last year at the theatre, I really enjoyed "Hero". Very much like Crouching Tiger, but the thing that blew me away about it was how incredibly stunning it was visually. There were scenes that literally made me want to cry they looked so gorgeous.

I can't really remember what else I saw. "The Incredibles", of course. Which was quite enjoyable. Beyond that, no recollection. Usually I go to the video store, wander around aimlessly for about 20 minutes, and leave empty-handed.

More Off The Beaten Pathers:

"The Blair Witch Project" (that was made on the cheapest of the cheap, scared the beejeepers out of me AND out of Hollywood, which would never have taken a flyer on something that ostensibly far-fetched);

"Stackers", starring a very young Megan Follows and the always incandescent Christine Lahti, about a young teenage girl stuck in some middle Western backwater who teams up with the town loser to stack the harvest of hay;

"Rachel River" with Pamela Reed, about a northern Minnesota woman, recently divorced, trying to rebuild her life in her own unsentimental way;

"Bubba Ho Tep", a redemptive Elvis-impersonator horror story about an aging man dying of cancer in a nursing home; he of course doesn't think he's an Elvis impersonator but believes he IS Elvis, and he teems up with an elderly man who thinks he's JFK (played by the dearly departed Ossie Davis) to fight a mummy that's come to plague said nursing home. (Trust me on this one.)

Just a little food for thought -

A-Jock

Thanks, Annette. What do you think of my chances of getting any of these with my Unlimited at Blockbuster? I'll bet Indies become obscure around there very quickly, if they carry them at all. They have to make way for the blockbusters after all. But that's okay, I have the internet and I know how to use it.

I have to wonder about Shelley. I saw Harold and Kumar. Do you think Shelley may be a, er, pothead? She didn't mention THAT in her confession thread! :)

P.S. Blockbuster does have Bubba Ho Tep. That sounds absolutely wonderful. I do believe I know how to incorporate Flylady's date night without having to leave home. Watching Indies with the DH, who's back on the dear list now that he's sorted out the back of the TV and stereo system and quit all that swearing. ;)

Man improves himself as he follows his path; if he stands still, waiting to improve before he makes a decision, he'll never move.

-Paulo Coelho

Oooookay, you guys have me chomping at the bit over here....

Annette, the Station Agent will be my first find. You spoke about it last year and I couldn't remember the title, thanks.

I am so weird when it comes to flicks in general.

If I know the music is great or there is great dancing ( like salsa or ballet), then I can forgive a weak story line.

My favorite of all times and the only movies I own:

Out of Africa, starring Meryl Streep ( the soundtrack is gorgeous)
Shawshank Redemption, starring Tim Robbins and Morgan Freeman.

Hey, have you seen Million Dollar Baby?

My favorite Clint Eastman Film is "Bird" about Jazz saxophonist Charlie Parker...brilliant!

Off to Blockbuster I go...

Hey, Bobbikins -

Your chances of getting "Stacking" and "Rachel River" are slim to none on this or any other Planet Blockbuster. You may have to do a Googlewhack to see if they're even on DVD or *perish the thought* lowly VIDEO. You'd probably have to branch beyond BB to more arthousey vid/DVD rental facilities. If you live in the Phoenix megalopolis, there may be some places you could check.

"Bubba Ho Tep" and "The Blair Witch Project" were both found at my local BB here in the Twin Cities Minnesota 'burbs. BTW, I just bothered to re-read the post of yours that I'm now responding to and saw that you found "Bubba Ho Tep". Man, I'm quick.

Although Blockbuster is not exactly a hotbed of adventuresome movie stocking, many outlets have a "Sundance Recommends" section that you may find some other promising, under-the-radar goodies.

Couple more suggestions, that are documentaries of things you never thought you'd come to love:

"Trekkies" about the vast, worldwide cult that is the "Star Trek" fan club;

"Hoop Dreams", a documentary that many thought should have been nominated for a Best Picture Oscar, about two teenaged African American boys who go through high school trying to get into professional basketball;

"Beyond The Mat", very intimate and compelling view of, of all things, professional wrestling. One of the co-producers of this was Ron Howard, and he lends his customary sensitive self to its shaping. Again, trust me on this one.

"Spellbound", about several mid-teen boys and girls who compete for the pre-eminent national spelling bee (the name of whose sponsor escapes me). The viewer is spellbound, too, by the window into the REAL lives of teenagers trying hard to achieve something that is entirely age appropriate, not the "Spy Kids" crap.

We found all of those at Blockbuster, however over a range of years. I don't know how frequently BBs dump their inventory, but these are soooo worth a check.

And of course:

"Waiting for Guffman", "Best In Show", and "A Mighty Wind", mockumentaries about a small-town community theatre production, a big-ticket dog competition, and an aging folk-singers' reunion by a talented cast including Michael McKean, Christopher Guest, Fred Willard (who always cracks me up), Catherine O'Hara, Parker Posey and many others.

And don't forget "Fargo" - when you see "Fargo" you realize why Minnesotans like myself are so darned strange. "Fargo" should have been considered a documentary too.

A-Jock

I'm in Tucson, not quite the metropolis Phoenix is but we do have The Loft Theatre, still running Rocky Horror Picture Show after all these years. Rachel River may be had, starting at $1.77, in the Amazon marketplace and Stacking, at almost twice the cost, tsk, tsk, is also available so they are on my short list. I am glad Rich managed to re-hook up the VCR after all.

"Waiting For Guffman", "Best in Show" and "The Mighty Wind" I have seen. Wait for Guffman a few weeks ago in fact. Rich again, film in hand and I meant to skip it but ended up sitting down and watching with him. I couldn't resist because "This Is Spinal" tap is one film I have watched many times and Christopher Guest is wonderful. Eugene Levy too. Fred Willard was brilliant in "Best in Show". I saw "Fargo" too, the only other film with William H. Macy I know I have seen. Another terrific film.

I am off to a good start. Plus, we have the Sundance Channel. My children will be shocked if I start demanding control of one of the TV's but then I don't have to. I can record it! And in the wee hours when I get up and usually have no recourse but to hit the computer, too early to exercise but nothing worth watching on the now free televisions unless I want infomercials, I can get get going on this new thing.

Have you seen "What in the Bleep Does It Mean?" The yogis love that one. I have not yet seen it....

-Paulo Coelho

"Fargo" is a classic, and so is the Coen Bros' "Miller's Crossing" with Gabriel Byrne.

"Station Agent" is fab. I like movies where hardly anything happens and the meaning lies in the words, not the actions.

Try "Stage beauty" and "Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind" for excellence.

And "Sideways" is far and away the best film of the year. Sawe it last weekend, laughed like a drain, loved it, can't wait to see it again. All the performances were incredible.

Sorry to interrupt your private conversation. Oh, and also see the original Argentinian "Nine Queens" with subtitles, a brilliant heist/con movie. And yes, the "Cooler" was good.

Clare

Heaven's, don't apologize, I am enjoying myself more than I can say. With my new, albeit shaky organization skills, I find I am more than capable of fitting all this in and I love the suggestions. I went to Blockbuster to rent "Bubba Ho Tep" and I couldn't find it! I started by searching among the dramas, for a serious film about being old, which can be one of the saddest things. I even peeked into the Drama Suspense category because, with a mummy on the loose, that seemed a reasonable place to look. It's a comedy, it turns out, and absolutely funny. How can you miss, with Elivs impersonating an Elvis impersonater, impersonating Elvis and that's just one aspect of a quirky and as, Annette said, "redemptive" movie. I loved it because if it's possible to suspend the sense of reality to believe a soul-stealing mummy is plaguing a convalescent home, then who knows if it really is possible that Elivs, impersonating an Elvis impersonater, impersonating Elvis, can't hook up with JFK and save the day, including their own souls? That doesn't begin to describe Elvis' musings on his life, before and after imitating, himself and Ossie Davis, was just plain wonderful. I am sitting the with the biggest smile, just thinking about what he did. The only thing that would have made it better was sharing it but in a very unusual turn of events, I was the last person up and all the night owls hit the hay.

I saw "Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind", which I loved. Reminds me of the B.J. Thomas song, "A little bit of love is better than no love, even a bad love is better than no love...." These movies are so completely off the wall but they go so deep. I find it so remarkable that these filmmakers can do what they do! And I do want the suggestions. Keep them coming. I have much movie watching to catch up on.

I have to get the kids out the door. Spring Brek is over! And of course, I'm tired. These eleven o'clock nights are killing me! ")

-Paulo Coelho

"Road to perdition" and "American Beauty", all about how we can redeem ourselves when life is pushed to the limit

"State and main", hilarious, quirky David Mamet piss-take of a movie production, starring William H.Macy in a flawless performance and a another take on getting a second chance in life.....it's an off-beat film

Also David Mamet's "The Spanish Prisoner", heist/con movie staring Rebecca Pidgeon, his wife, who is hugely talented, also in State & Main, and why do we not see her elsewhere? Also, Steve Martin in a non-comic role.....

And the original Japanese production of "Shall we dance" is a gem of a film. Forget the recent Lopez/Gere horrendousness and go back to the delicacy and humour and gentle eroticism of the original..... this film makes no sense taken out of its cultural background.

If I think of any more, I'll let you know! I watch movies all the time, live and die for them!

Clare

I saw "Road to Perdition". I admire Tom Hanks. Indeed, many of the most talented comedians are extraordinarily intelligent and become remarkable actors, sometimes in surpising ways because comedy can be so assinine. Can you believe I resisted "Amrican Beauty", such a well-touted film? For the longest time I resisted all the journey's into the darkness of the soul. But I'll have to muse on the quiet desperate lives of men and independent films as I take a crack at the huge mounds of laundry. You can find escape from quiet desperationa dn even noisy chaos but never the bloody laundry. My short list is getting very long!

-Paulo Coelho

The boys/guys were home this past week and I saw a ton of movies I'd never heard of before - and liked!

Around the Bend - loved it. Christopher Walkin et al. About making family connections on a quirky roadtrip.

What the "Bleep" Do We Know? Kinda a documentary, weird film, about quantum physics! Makes you think - a lot!

I "Heart" Huckabees - My boys love this one. Quirky, as usual. A good lesson about intentions.

I'll have to check out what Bobbi and Annette are talking about. I have no clue!

Lexy

Alexis, you and "Bubba Ho Tep" were meant for each other! I am going to try to get "What the Bleep" today. I went through a physics phase a few years ago when I still remembered how to read. I don't want to think about the stack of books I need to get to because watching movies seems to require less concentration and I have very little of that mysterious substance right now. My eldest requested "Huckabees" but, like "Bleep", it always out. It's on the list with your endorsement. How are you, you, gorgeous woman?

-Paulo Coelh

Oh my! I loathed "I heart Huckabees", and turned it off half way through. What a sheer load of precocious nonsense and total waste of my time. My husband fell asleep a quarter of the way through and I didn't manage much more.

Here is where I think humour is definitely culturally affected.

It seemed to me a sad waste of Lily Tomlin's talents. And doesn't Jude Law have better things to do?

Ah well, each to her own!

Oh laundry-schmaundry!!!! Household chores will never be DONE, so, maybe we should just relax a little more in our response to them?!!? There's a lot of unattended dust in my house, and I greet spiders and their webs as old friends. Ha!

Clare ;-)

Bobbi, The Lex is off this week with no one home! I'm so excited I don't know what to do with myself! Right now it's laundry but I'll be getting to "something fun for me" by this afternoon. I'll have to visit Blockbuster for sure. How are you?

Clare, if you notice, I said my boys liked that movie. I think it's more a generation thing than culture. For me, it wasn't particularly funny but the guys thought it was a hoot. And it does have a nice ending. This is how I get to know my kids better - by trying to understand what moves them.

Bobbi, hubby didn't care for "Bleep" but I found it really interesting. I'm not sure what Matlin's character was all about. Kinda floating through life. But the physicists and others interviewed was done really well.

Around The Bend was awesome (to me).

Lexy

Lex, I am great, if a bit scattered today. I ended up getting "I heart Huckabess" because stinking Blockbuster carries so few copies of the movies I really want to see and I coulnd't find one. But that's really okay because I have yet to view Maria Full of Grace so getting the movie Ali wanted is fine too.

Ah, you're on Spring Break! Yay for The Lex. I sent my sad looking children back today and am trying to regroup and get my almost organized self reorganized. But I lack motivation and that's the key. No motivation then what does it matter if you have a plan?

I think I'll like "Bleep". The yoga instructor, the hottie, recommended it and it sounds like something I would enjoy.

Today is cloudy and altough it's going for 80, there's a lovely wind blowing all the allergens from our wet winter right up my nose. Everyone's cranky. It's almost time to go pick up Sam and then I am snoozing for 30 minutes and getting busy. I swear! Tell me what you pick and how you liked it!

-Paulo Coelho

You know, Clare I had a wolf spider web in my window and I wouldn't let my husband kill it. They get huge. I don't mind critters and dust is eternal. I swept yesterday and Rich went into a paroxysm of sneezing and swearing. His allergies are dreadful this year. And if that's not an excuse to not sweep, I don't know what is. It was one of those days when I am glad I have tomorrow to try again. But all in all, things aren't that disorderly so a high energy day is all I need. I am hitting the hay early tonight. I can't wait for bedtime. I had to skip yoga because, although Ali is through with Hello Dolly, the set had to be broken down and I had to stick close to home until pick up time. Then I delivered a injured sparrow to my niece, the wildlife rehabber, who lives way the heck the other side fo town so we went out for pizza and it's time to put Sam to bed and this day is done as far as I am concrned. I would so love to have this place perfect but that's so exhausting and makes me mean to boot. So it's time to drop my standards again! :) Done! Have a beautiful evening!

-Paulo Coelho

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.