Ankle Weights with Turbo Barre?

Gobias

Cathlete
Has anyone tried using ankle weights while doing Turbo Barre?

I have done this video a few times and have noticed that my support/isolated leg is the one where I feel the burn...not the "active" leg.

For example: If I am standing on my LEFT leg while lifting my right leg, it is the LEFT leg that feels the burn and I feel almost nothing in my right leg. Therefore, I was thinking of adding ankle weights. However, some of Cathe's moves are considered super fast (almost like pulses) and may be too fast with ankle weights?

Or am I doing the moves wrong?

Thanks!

Wow, I cannot even imagine doing Turbo Barre with ankle weights!:eek::eek::eek:

When doing TB, I feel the sensation in both my standing leg and "working" leg, but differently. My standing leg burns but in many of the moves, my working leg is on fire even more from the sheer effort of trying to keep it high enough to complete all the reps with good form. I also feel it in the auxilliary muscles that are working to keep the leg in position (hips, core, etc). Are you lifting your legs high enough? Are they turned out when the cueing calls for that?

If you truly feel your form is good, then I'd say give ankle weights a whirl. BUT, since the workout is largely about long-lever moves (with legs and arms extended), maybe you should start out lighter rather than heavier to protect your joints. Just a thought.:D

Good luck!!

I felt I needed to add ankle weights as well. So I've tried it with 1 lb and 2 lb ankle weights. I really like the workout better with weights. I felt like it got in there much better!

When I did this workout w/ shoes on, my supporting leg was less of a problem. I also tried to think of the work my whole core needed to be doing in order for me to have good form.

I have this exact same thing happen to me! My supporting leg gives out long before the working leg. I have to take several little breaks to give the supporting leg a break. I can't imagine using ankle weights, though. I think I'd collapse on the third rep!

Shelbygirl

I'm with ya on feeling the burn in my support leg. Sometimes I swear it goes numb! It feels like I have pins and needles. I might buy some one lb'ers and try them.

tested this out last nite. i like it for that section & also the 1st part of the outer thigh sequence. i took them off for the part where your leg is in the "L"

Thanks everyone! I am going to go ahead and try it with ankle weights next time. I have really focused on my form and height of moves, making sure it was correct and I feel that it is. The 1st time I did the workout I had shoes on and the rest of the times I did not.

My only problem is I only have a pair of 15lb ankle weights. I really hate to buy a 1lb or 2lb pair since I will probalby only use them for this workout. Any ideas of things I may have around the house? I was thinking of somehow trying to put my 4lb pair of weighted GLOVES on my feet but not sure that will work. LOL. Maybe I will somehow rig a weighted object on my shoelace.

@lainabaina: I am one step ahead of you. Last time I was doing Turbo Barre and was thinking of using the ankle weights, I specifically remember thinking I would need to take them off when my legs are in an "L". Those are tough enough!

Gobias said:
Thanks everyone! I am going to go ahead and try it with ankle weights next time. I have really focused on my form and height of moves, making sure it was correct and I feel that it is. The 1st time I did the workout I had shoes on and the rest of the times I did not.

My only problem is I only have a pair of 15lb ankle weights. I really hate to buy a 1lb or 2lb pair since I will probalby only use them for this workout. Any ideas of things I may have around the house? I was thinking of somehow trying to put my 4lb pair of weighted GLOVES on my feet but not sure that will work. LOL. Maybe I will somehow rig a weighted object on my shoelace.

@lainabaina: I am one step ahead of you. Last time I was doing Turbo Barre and was thinking of using the ankle weights, I specifically remember thinking I would need to take them off when my legs are in an "L". Those are tough enough!

Try Marshall, Ross or TJ Max. I got pair or 1 lb weights for $4.99.

Me too! My standing leg always gets super burned and the active leg doesn't feel that much. It never occurred to me to add an ankle weight, but I think I might try it on the active leg for some exercises to see how it feels. It'll have to wait until I'm feeling super pumped though, since it's still a killer as is.

Ankle weights. Turbo barre

I have been using 2-3 lb ankle weights when doing this workout and I find it to be more challenging. I have adjustable weights but find 3 lbs to be the max.

Also the standing leg does feel it more than the working leg. I use to take a very intense aerobic class and the instructor incorporated barre work after the aerobics and she always said the standing leg will burn more.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.