Am I the Only One??

dr.mel_PT

Cathlete
I don't know what it is but whenever I see my reflection when I'm out in public or with a friend, I'm always so critical & unhappy with the way I look. But when I look at myself at home, I recognize that sure there are some things I'd like to change but I have an overall positive opinion on how I look. Am I nuts?! Does anyone else experience this??

My mirror at home is the same way. I can look at myself at home and accept it. If I go try on new clothes, I just look in the store mirror and don't like what I see.

Ditto - and don't get me started about photographs. They make me practically suicidal.

OMG...me too!! No matter how good I think my makeup/clothes/hair may look on a particular day, if you take my picture, I look like a chipmunk on steroids with an enormous head... I got a passport picture taken at the post office a couple years ago, and the woman taking the picture looked at it as it came out of the printer and said, "Oh my..." :eek: and she took another picture even though she said she wasn't really allowed to! She gave me the first one and told me to destroy it and not tell anyone that she took another one. Thing is,....the second picture wasn't much better!!!!! ...and don't get me started on my driver's license picture...

Another thing that I want to add to my post is, I look really ripped at home, but in a public mirror, not so much :confused: Linda

I can't stand mirrors in dressing rooms! You'd think they'd come out with mirrors that were more kind so we'd buy more clothes and don't even get me started on trying on bathing suits! Uugh! I don't know if it's the lighting but I always leave depressed. I also have thought, I am having a good hair day or maybe I don't look so old today and then see a pic and think eeew! What happened! Ha!

Caseysmomgo-LOL! A chipmunk on steroids with a big head! Your story made me laugh out loud. BTW, did you keep the first pic? That is soooo funny!

I agree with everyone on this. There are days when I think to myself that I don't look half bad but like most of you I don't like the way I look when trying on clothes.

Definitely not in pictures, there's only been a couple of times when I thought the picture came out good.

Yep, I can feel great about how I look in the morning, and by night, I think I'm never going to tone up! Guess we're all tough on ourselves.

AT LEAST WE CARE!!!!!!!!!:D Have a happy 4th, and avoid the mirrors!

I was in a dressing room with my Cousin years ago and she said to me "Oh I just hate the way I look in these changing rooms - it's awful - you get used to your mirrors at home don't you". I didn't understand what she meant at the time, but now I think it's that at home you are used to the way the light hits you and probably you tend to stand in the same position and then when you're out you catch yourself from an unfamiliar angle and wooooow: "Who Dat Dere?????"

Also 'Irusso' said that she looks ripped at home and then not as good in other territory and I think that that's because we put on our workout gear - tuff stuff - and greet ourselves in the mirror GAME FACE ON. Then while we're out somewhere, relaxed and probably inhaled a few carbs during the course of the day and it's like "Hey, where'd the fit bird go??????"

Anyway I've been busy congratulating myself for years as I've got no cellulite. That's it girls I'm loud and proud - No Cellulite - after years of working out my legs are pure muscle and my buns are tight - BUT WAIT UP, eeekkkkkkkkkk what's that??? The other day I noticed there's none on my legs because it's all migrated to my belly. Who knew that could happen??? I've always carried my weight in my mid-section rather than hips and thighs, but that - DESPITE DAILY ABS (+ losing 15 pounds) - has now turned to cottage cheese. Clever me. Bye Bye Bikini. Hello Kaftan :mad:

Caseysmomgo-LOL! A chipmunk on steroids with a big head! Your story made me laugh out loud. BTW, did you keep the first pic? That is soooo funny!

No, I tore the first pic into a million pieces when I got home! I haven't had to use the passport yet, which is probably a good thing, because if I used it frequently I'd probably end up on some "do not fly" list...!!! Classification: Picture Too Scary

KadetKim - LOL! Too funny...Bye bye bikini. Hello Kaftan. :D Congrats for losing the 15 lbs and at least there's no cellulite on your legs! I'd kill for that!! But I'm still trying... I think everything on my body is migrating all over the place, too...

At least we can all laugh at ourselves sometimes...and it helps that we're all in this together!

I hear ya! In fact, wish me luck- today I'm going the double whammy of trying of bathing suits AND bras!! YIKES!!!! :eek::eek::eek::rolleyes: My next post may have lot of tears in it!

Pam

No, I tore the first pic into a million pieces when I got home! I haven't had to use the passport yet, which is probably a good thing, because if I used it frequently I'd probably end up on some "do not fly" list...!!! Classification: Picture Too Scary

KadetKim - LOL! Too funny...Bye bye bikini. Hello Kaftan. :D Congrats for losing the 15 lbs and at least there's no cellulite on your legs! I'd kill for that!! But I'm still trying... I think everything on my body is migrating all over the place, too...

At least we can all laugh at ourselves sometimes...and it helps that we're all in this together!

Ugh, my passport pic is horrible! And to make matters even worse, now they put LINES in front of your face when they make the passport. Oh, just what my aging face needs---MORE LINES???!!! :eek:

Adding insult to injury (the bathing suit shopping saga)

Okee dokee. So, I headed off to Kohls today to buy a new bathing suit and bra. Not looking forward to shopping for either of them and trying them on one after another.

So, I walk into the store and who is the very first person I see?? My dear friend who is a former Miss Colorado and Fitness Model!!!! :eek: She is still stunningly beautiful and would still win Miss Colorado to this day! Suddenly, I felt like running out of the store, but she spotted me and we hugged and chatted for a bit since she is of course not only beautiful on the outside but on the inside as well!! I'm pretty sure she wakes up every morning looking perfect with birds flying over her to hand her her robe and forest animals welcoming her at her window!! Think Enchanted - the movie with Amy Adams(too many Disney movies growing up, I guess!) :D:rolleyes::p

While doing the dreaded deed of trying on swimsuits and bras, I wasn't sure if I should laugh or cry :(:confused::rolleyes::p. I wondered what it must be like to be so gorgeous and pysically perfect looking and trying on bathing suits and bras- is it fun for such people or do they feel slightly suicidal like the majority of us? :eek::eek: I always think that there should be strong alcoholic beverages served in the swim-suit fitting rooms! It might just ease the pain a bit to sip on a martini or margarita and hey- I might even look good in the mirror!! :eek::cool::rolleyes:

In the end I found two nice bathing suits and one tolerable bra that is no doubt akin to body armor worn by sword-weilding knights of the 17th century!! :eek::eek::p:rolleyes: But, hey, the girls needed some better support! I just didn't have it in me to shop for a sports bra. The only kind they had wouldn't support a pre-pubesent girl.

There is a women's only sports store that I will visit since they carry one of the sports bras mentioned here- I think it began with an E.

Okay, I can laugh about it now!! (sort of!).

TGIF

Pam

Photos are the worst! Especially when people tell you how photogenic you are, and it is obviously one of the worst pics ever taken, so you know they are just trying to make you feel better.

I had a digital mammogram today. The facility just got the digital technology and I was one of the first to get one using the new machine. No films are needed, there's not as much squishing, and I didn't even have to hold my breath. Best mammogram ever!!! Anyway, the technician said that my breasts took good pictures!

Go figure...my face and body are horrid in photos, but internally, my boobs are photogenic! At least something on my body takes a good picture.......:D

Ditto - and don't get me started about photographs. They make me practically suicidal.

I can relate with all these stories. Especially these two. They made me laugh because I feel the same way. Thanks for the laughs ladies. :)

Last edited:

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.