Airlines to charge obese customers extra

Not only are the seats small, but the distance between them is getting smaller and smaller. My tall, long-legged DH really suffers with that... and then the person in front of him cranks back their seat into his lap The back of the seat is right up against his knees! :eek:
I was amazed at how cramped an international flight was. I couldn't imagine how anyone with legs longer than mine could be comfortable at all.

When I fly, I usually fly long-haul and my experience so far has been quite good. At first, my biggest worry was whether there would be children on the flight and whether they would be quiet :p On a 20 hour flight, that sort of stuff matters :cool: And there was! Every single time. And each time the little blighters have been so very well behaved so I no longer worry about kids on planes.

I've never been seated next to an obese person on a plane but I have had that experience on public transport where the woman was so large that not only was I squashed against the window but part of her leg was covering part of mine! She was apologetic as she sat down and seemed just as uncomfortable and aware about the proximity and size of the seat as I was, however, that's just a bit tooooooo close!

If you need two seats you should have two seats and you should definitely declare that when you buy your ticket. I do think it is okay to charge someone for two seats when they need it - if they are otherwise healthy. I don't think it's fair to charge someone who has a medical reason for being obese because I'm sure they pay enough in medical bills as it is.

Last edited:
When I fly, I usually fly long-haul and my experience so far has been quite good. At first, my biggest worry was whether there would be children on the flight and whether they would be quiet :p On a 20 hour flight, that sort of stuff matters :cool:

On one of my internatinal flights there was a girl, maybe 3 or 4 who wouldnt stop crying. her mother got out of her row to come stand where I was to hold her and let her cry! During the in lfight movie! I was so freaking pissed.

I understand they are little, but a few drops of liquor in the bottle would do everyone a world of good.

You'd think the airline industry would make their seats bigger, instead of making them smaller everytime they buy a new plane. The last flight I took on Air Tran (which will be my last), even I was squished. Cross over to Jet Blue and the seats are spacious for everyone. I'm sure it will eventually come down to customers being forced to stand in line and get weighed along with thier luggage. I'm with other European countries that would consider this discrimination againt overweight people. I know plenty of obese people who eat considerably less than I do, they just have some form of metabolism disorder. Next thing they'll be doing is putting them on the back of the plane, like we did to African Americans in the 60's. I think this policy is crap!

Rather than the 20% discount for my smaller butt, I think I'd like to be able to load up 20% more luggage so I can take extra shoes and assorted crap with me!

Clare

Being someone who struggled with her weight for decades (if by struggling you mean I kept stuffing my pie hole and watching lots of tv on the couch) I get the having sympathy part. However, If you've ever been on a long flight next to someone who's spilling over into your seat it is a miserable experience. It's even worse when the individual knows his thigh is all up in your space and he's like 'Don't like it? Bite me!'

On a related note, I'm thinking of starting a new airline called FatAzz. You'll pay about what you would for two seats on those other airlines but the seats will be HUGE and the food will be FABULOUS! ;););). Heck, even skinny b*tches will want to hang with us.

Laura - I am going to add one more question - how does everyone feel about people bringing carry on bags that really are too big just to avoid the luggage fee?

The last couple of flights I took, the airline attendants spend at least 10 minutes trying to help passengers fit their luggage somewhere on the plane in the overhead compartments.

I flew to Texas with my DH's sister and her family, and they all did this!! I was very surprised. Our flight was delayed for hours, and DH and I were able to walk around the airport, empty-handed, while his relatives were stuck sitting and minding their luggage. It takes soooo much longer to be seated in the plane now because of this. I think they need to severely restrict carry-ons. It's getting quite out of hand.

I flew to Texas with my DH's sister and her family, and they all did this!! I was very surprised. Our flight was delayed for hours, and DH and I were able to walk around the airport, empty-handed, while his relatives were stuck sitting and minding their luggage. It takes soooo much longer to be seated in the plane now because of this. I think they need to severely restrict carry-ons. It's getting quite out of hand.
ITA that they need to restrict carry-ons. OTOH the airlines need to do a better job of getting the luggage to the destination with the owner. I can't tell you how many times our luggage has been lost, especially when we have to change planes, although our luggage has been lost on direct flights, too. That said, we still check our bags. ;)

I just have to add that I agree with the person who mentioned how small those coach seats are. I'm a small person, and I'm always surprised what a close fit those seats are for me. I often wonder how people with broader hips feel in those seats.

OMG! Not to mention that all the carry-ons take freakin' FOREVER to go through security.

ITA with others that coach seats have gotten small even for those of us who aren't overweight.

Fembot - My last flight was with JetBlue and the additional space was definitely noticeable. I'd use them again, even if they weren't the least exspensive option.

On a related note, I'm thinking of starting a new airline called FatAzz. You'll pay about what you would for two seats on those other airlines but the seats will be HUGE and the food will be FABULOUS! ;););). Heck, even skinny b*tches will want to hang with us.

LOL pleeeease do :) :D Airline food - especially long haul, is pretty dreadful and there's just never quite enough room in the seat to curl up and sleep.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.