Rosheen,

Sorry I didn't respond right away - we go to our cottage for 5 days a week and I am only home on Tuesdays and Wednesdays.

I have been tracking my fertility for 20 years so I know my body really well. I do take my temperature still every morning - but I really base my ovulation on my cervix signs also. My cervix takes about one week to get ready to ovulate - so once my cervix is totally open and up high - I look for my temperature change.

In the last year or so, I have noticed my cervix will prepare to ovulate (wide open, up high, and the mucous), but my temperature does not elevate - a few times - it would go down , then 2 weeks later it would start again - but still no elevation of temperature.

I seem to have the FSH (follicle stimulating hormone) but not the LH you talked about.

An organization called the couple to couple league has a book on Natural Family Planning . There is also a book on what affects your fertility - which is really interesting.

I do not know their website address. They do have charts to track your cycles.

I hope this helps you too Brie.

Cheryl

Couple to Couple League

The website is www.ccli.org. They are a great organization! My husband and I have been certified teachers through them for the past 13 years.

BTW, I can't remember who said that she can't take her temps because she's up so often with a baby or toddler. Most of the time an hour or 2 of sleep before taking your temp is suffient. Most women don't have any problems getting accurate temps even when they're up and down several times a night. If your temp seems particularly high after a "bad" night, I would make note of it, but not worry too much. As long as the temps are at the same waking time each day, you shouldn't have any problems.

Erin

I have to agree with you. I get concerned that women who are reading these posts think it is OK to wait and have kids in their 40's. I know there are alot of you out there that have kids in your 40's but I just don't think it is something to be encouraged. Frankly, it is my opinion (now, I am not being judgmental here, it is just my opinion) that having children after 40 is just too old. I had my last child at 37 and am 41 right now and cannot fathom getting pregnant and having another baby. I felt old at 37! There are greater risks and face it, you will be old when they graduate from high school.

>I have to agree with you. I get concerned that women who are
>reading these posts think it is OK to wait and have kids in
>their 40's. I know there are alot of you out there that have
>kids in your 40's but I just don't think it is something to be
>encouraged. Frankly, it is my opinion (now, I am not being
>judgmental here, it is just my opinion) that having children
>after 40 is just too old. I had my last child at 37 and am 41
>right now and cannot fathom getting pregnant and having
>another baby. I felt old at 37! There are greater risks and
>face it, you will be old when they graduate from high school.
>

I agree with you that 40 is too long to wait, but not for the reason you give!

I am 43 and pregnant with my first. Maybe I am unusally healthy, but I don't think I am too old. Perhaps it is for some people. My family is very long lived (many over 100) so maybe that is a factor as well. My mom is 70 and very active. I can't think of any reason why it should be different for me. Also, I haven't had any problems with this pregnancy, as far as age. My due date is less than one month away.

However, it is VERY HARD for many women to get pregnant over 40, so gals, don't wait! I think women need to think about this at least by 30, because some women over 35 cannot conceive either. All women should be educated about their cycles and the natural decline in fertility after 35.

Hey,

As long as a woman is ovulating, she is not "TOO OLD" to have a baby - once you stop ovulating and go through menopause, then you are "TOO OLD" to have a baby.

I believe that this is how the Lord has made us - that is why we go through our change - common sense would tell you that much.

I have had five children when I was over the age of 35 and all were "NORMAL" according to worldly standards. I never had any "advanced age" pregnancy testings. I was 45 with my last baby - and I didn't feel "OLD" - if I were to conceieve now, I would not feel I was too old.

Now, to take fertility drugs to become pregnant is a totally dfferent story - that is something never needed.

God Bless,

Cheryl

Cheryl,

I guess it is your opinion that over 40 is not too "OLD". That is what is great about the good 'ol USA, we are all entitled to our opinions and I still stand by mine.

A Rogerson
Monroe, WI

Let's agree to the fact that everyone has their own opinion.......

OK everyone, we have strayed away from the original question. We all have our opinions about this question, including me. I had my babies at 40 and 43, so you know where I stand. Let's just agree that we all have our opinions and leave this topic alone for awhile.

Sheila

Sheila S. Watkins, MLSci.
Founder and National Program Director
Healthy Moms Fitness
www.healthymomsfitness.com (and moderator of this forum!)

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.