Aerobics Shoes vs. Running Shoes

adygruner

Cathlete
Hi Cathe,

I was wondering if it is best for me to do step and weight workouts with my running shoes (I have high-mileage trainers that are ideal for marathon training and I wear them with custom orthotics), or if I should get shoes that are specifically designed for aerobics? I know that running shoes give the best support for forward-backward movements as opposed to side to side. Do you think that doing step with running shoes will lead to injury in the long term?

Thanks,

Ady

If you look at basic fusion and look at the informational part Cathe states that you should not use running shoes for aerobics. I think she says that you should use cross trainers. she wears rykas i think here is there website. ryka.com

Not Cathe but I used to do step in my running shoes. I just switched to some Avia aerobics shoes and it make so much of a difference for me. They give me so much more support in my ankles for the lateral moves. I didn't really have any problems with the running shoes but when I went to buy new running shoes they suggested not doing step or floor aerobics in them. HTH.
LD

Thanks for the info!!! I got some new balance cross trainers this morning. They are the only company that makes shoes narrow enough to support my skinny, overpronating feet. I just did Imax 3 and Muscle Max legs. The difference is incredible!!!! Having proper shoes made the jumps in Imax so much easier because I wasn't scared of landing in a bad position. From now on I will only use my running shoes for running and similar activites.

Take care,

Ady

This is very much personal preference/need. I have tried aerobic shoes several times and always go back to running shoes. The others just don't provide me with the support and stabilization I need for my knees and back. But I don't have problems with lateral motion that many have that require that type of support.

>Thanks for the info!!! I got some new balance cross trainers
>this morning. They are the only company that makes shoes
>narrow enough to support my skinny, overpronating feet. >Take care,
>
>Ady

No Kidding!

Namita

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.