Advice on rice cookers

Nadja, I have a Black and Decker rice cooker too, got it for $17. One thing that frustrates me is that it has an opening in the lid to let the steam escape. Problem is, the starchy steam "spits" all over my counter, esp. when I cook white rice. Do you find this to be a problem?

Sorry, I haven't been able to get on the site for awhile....schedule. I have the one that Michelle mentioned, that starts with the "Z"....but I purchased it about 8 yrs ago, so I really don't remember how much I paid for it.

Another super easy, super low maintenance way is to bake it. Bring your water to a boil, pour over your rice in a baking dish, cover with foil and bake at 350 degrees for an hour. It's done! I normally do this because then I can put the baking dish in the dishwasher instead of having to hand wash the rice cooker!;-)

Thanks again for all the great info. It sounds like I can a rice cooker on the cheap and it will work fine. I am sure it will still be a week or so before I decide which direction I will go in but next I need to go check some out at a store.

What started all this is the nicer weather and when I cook rice on the stove I feel like I can not leave it unattended for fear that I will forget about it. So I stay inside when I would rather be outside, so a cooker that automatically turns off was my solutions.

Michele- I never thought about using a large skillet. I will definitely use this method while I make up my mind. It seems so obvious but my brain must be on vacation.

Thanks Janie for the recipes. You are too funny!

I do like the idea of the mircowave cookers but we have a loud microwave and I do not think I could stand hearing it for that long.

Thank you all again!
orangenet
Annette

Yes, mine's a spitter too! If I'm feeling ambitious I'll position some tin foil over it, otherwise just end up wiping down the counter. I guess I love mine too much to care. And I sort of think the hole lets more of the smell escape (I cook aromatic wild rice- it's like potpourri to me :9 )

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.