Advice for curvy girls...

Amysue

Cathlete
OK, educated crowd, especially those with natural curves, i.e. boobs and hips, classic hourglass figures...
What works best for you to lose fat and maximize muscle? I have been working so hard for the past year and while I have seen some changes, I believe that anyone else who has worked this hard and eaten this clean would look a thousand times better. In other words, I think I'm doing something wrong...not quite right. I saw the most improvement while doing cardio twice a day, eating no white foods (sugar, flour, milk, salt) and hitting my body parts twice a week. But, this, of course, can cause major burnout and, truthfully, I looked BETTER, but NOT the way I THOUGHT I should have looked after so much hard work. Maybe I should just get over it and be happy with this little layer of fat that hangs on my middle? the little elbow muffins that hang on the bottom of my biceps?
Any advice about what works for those with the curvy figure would be most appreciated.
Amy

I would caution you not to over work yourself. It doesn't help. I think Maribeth or Aquajock can explain this better.

Take time to enjoy those who matter most to you & do all things in moderation :)

You are so right and I do. I've loosened up and quit worrying about missing a cardio session and whether I actually ate enough protein and if a couple beers on Friday night are going to wreck me. Hey, it's Friday!
Amy

Hi Amy,

Being a fellow "curvy girl" I feel your pain. I think what's most frustrating for me is as an hourglass you benefit from the fact that weight goes on "evenly" throughout your body, not just in one place that eveyone can immediately notice you gained 5#, but losing weight it comes off the same way, so some weeks I see wonderful results like 0.5" loss from both my chest and hips in 1 week, then a week later, 0.5" loss from my waistline, but then 2-4 weeks of no loss from those areas when you can only assume/hope it means you've lost weight in some non measured area like your head, feet, legs or arms. I too found more significant losses with cardio 2x/day, but I just couldn't keep up that pace, it took a toll on my ankles and feet after 1 month of that pattern, and I'm just working my way back up to cardio 2x/day but only 3x/week, the other days of the week cardio just 1x/day to see if that makes a difference. I've read so much lately here on the boards about lowering the cardio and increasing the weights, but I'm scared to death that if I reduce the cardio I'll blow right up!?
So if you do find something that seems to "kick it in gear" for you, please share :)

Donna

As a curvy girl myself, I find that I have a significant improvement with good water consumption and avoiding foods that promote water retention. That can be achieved in a matter of hours, and it really does sharpen up my appearance. That being said, for me at least, the hips, tummy and other curvy areas I have found usually respond well to 1. Perseverence over time, and 2. Core strengthening/building.

I started working out 2-3 days a week in January of 2001. I ramped it up gradually to 4-5 days a week by November 2001. Now I am working out 5-6 days a week (topped out) and am gradually increasing intensity. I increase in a wavy way, not just a line slanting up (if I were to graph the increases).

I am curvy but I have sleeked out quite a bit. I have decided that a very small waist is not as important to me as strong obliques, so I think my curves will become even less extreme as I build abdominal/back/oblique, or core, strength and reduce some more bodyfat. Here are some pictures. I think the curves have pared down even more by now- I need a new picture. (Click [link:www.geocities.com/ciaobella98765/Fitness.html|here] for pics).

Connie,
You go girl! You look great! I'd say that we have a similar body type. And I think that we probably look very similar at this point in time, considering your new photo is up and coming to your site.

I find that drinking a gallon or more of water a day, plus staying away from added salt in my diet does help a bunch. I also am keeping up intense cardio workouts, usually twice a day and always once a day. This helps too. I guess I just have to deal with the fact that I have to work harder to get results. I guess the only consolation prize is that we do have our OWN boobs after it's all said and done! No need for plastic surgery here!

Thanks for your input and have a great weekend.
Amy

Donna,
I guess we have a good side to being curvy? I know what it is like to gain a few pounds everywhere, too.

I guess I was looking for the answer to getting as slim and fit as possible for someone of my body type and I already know the answer. More, more, constant cardio and good eating habits. And I guess if I were to actually attain my perfect body, I may lose some of that ever-lovin' boobiliciousness that my husbands finds so riveting? LOL. I guess Rachel Welch and Marilyn Monroe will have to remain my idols...Cathe is so much the body type I'd love to achieve, but I'd have to lop off both my breasts first.
I guess God made us all different for a reason. I should just shut up and go for a run.

Have a great weekend.
Amy

It's unfair to expect a curvy body to turn into Cathe's shape. I am curvy too. Even when I was unhealthy (though pretty darn lean), I still had hips and a butt. I just will never get rid of those things. The trick is, to make them tight and as flab free as possible. I am sure EVERYONE has a body part they hate, or a role model they wish they could look like. Wouldn't it be great if our role models were fitter, healthier versions of ourselves? I am right there with ya though, willing my boobs and butt away. Keep up the hard work and remember to have fun!

Hi Amy,
I am a curvy girl as well. I've been working out and eatting clean for about 1 1/2 years now. I lost a lot of weight. At first it came off my legs real quickly and then my upper body caught up and now my mid section is just about all caught up. Don't kill yourself, have grace on yourself. IMHO If your eating right and exercising it will come off. How are you with the water?
I walk and rollerblade (30 min each) in the morning with DH. We walk at a fast pace. Later after lunch I do 60 min cardio (usually a Cathe tape) then M,W,sat Upper Body (complete) and T,Th I do lower body. Tues I do heavy and Thurs I do a light set. Usually leaner legs on Tuesday and Firm's Lower body sculpting on Thursday. I try to do yoga later on in the afternoon/eve 3 times a wk but that doesn't always happen.
I'm very hard on myself, and always compare myself to people that have been into fitness for many years. You can't do that. I'm trying to stop. Thank God you have the ability to exercise and do what you can, but don't kill yourself. Your body will tell you you need a break, then you really need to listen to it or your going to hurt yourself. And keep drinking water, even though you'll be in the Br all the time. Also, rotate tapes every few weeks so your body wont get use to the same old thing.
just my advise, It will work out for you. Just give it time.
Faythe :)

Hi Amy,
I am a curvy girl as well. I've been working out and eatting clean for about 1 1/2 years now. I lost a lot of weight. At first it came off my legs real quickly and then my upper body caught up and now my mid section is just about all caught up. Don't kill yourself, have grace on yourself. IMHO If your eating right and exercising it will come off. How are you with the water?
I walk and rollerblade (30 min each) in the morning with DH. We walk at a fast pace. Later after lunch I do 60 min cardio (usually a Cathe tape) then M,W,sat Upper Body (complete) and T,Th I do lower body. Tues I do heavy and Thurs I do a light set. Usually leaner legs on Tuesday and Firm's Lower body sculpting on Thursday. I try to do yoga later on in the afternoon/eve 3 times a wk but that doesn't always happen.
I'm very hard on myself, and always compare myself to people that have been into fitness for many years. You can't do that. I'm trying to stop. Thank God you have the ability to exercise and do what you can, but don't kill yourself. Your body will tell you you need a break, then you really need to listen to it or your going to hurt yourself. And keep drinking water, even though you'll be in the Br all the time. Also, rotate tapes every few weeks so your body wont get use to the same old thing.
just my advise, It will work out for you. Just give it time.
Faythe :)

Hi Jill! Thank you for asking!

Well I think the number one thing was patience. Notice the dates, it took more than a year to lose only 25 pounds but I have been adding muscle all along too. I am aiming for a fit lifestyle for good. So, lots of reading up, trial and error, perseverence and willingness to "go the long way." Cathe's tapes have been a godsend! They have given me permission to be fit! Until Cathe, I had never really seen such a fit woman in action--I hope you know what I mean! Heavy weight training has done more for me than anything in the past. Thanks for your kind comments.
-Connie

Another curvy girl here as well.

Questions ... how tall are you? What is your bone structure? And how much do you weigh?

Keta. :D

[link:home.attbi.com/~marwrihu/wsb/html/view.cgi-home.html-.html|Home Page]

[link:mykbtfit.net/|KBT Forum]

Keta,
I am just getting back on the net today...so here's the answer to your questions...
I am 5' 4", 127 pounds. I have a medium frame. I'm not sure of my measurements. I have about a 37 inch bust line and around a 26 or 27 inch waist...I'll have to measure. My hips are relatively small...no butt.
Amy

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.